If You're New, Being Pleasant In-Game Can Go A Long Way

greedywholesome.9081

If you're just starting out in pvp, we've all been there as I have 8.5yrs ago in pvp (did pve and wvw first)

Some plat 2+ will never give you the time of day and will behave like they are beneath you while others on the same exact tier or HIGHER will even Q some unranked games with you and give you pointers. 

The key is to communicate often, dont be resentlful, hateful, toxic, trollish - if you are seeking help. Always be supportive on chat, then ask away and usually someone will give a helpful response. 

Don't aim advice exclusively from Plat players. There are a LOT of really good pvpers who play unranked exclusively and if these players went on to ranked, no doubt they will be high gold to plat 2. 

Last time I logged on there were a slew of new players and I see this as a good sign. Im hoping they stay and enjoy the mode

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Its really hard to communicate with newer players in this game. The most important reason for that is that the fast majority of all players (incl new ones) think they know everything allready. I dont have the time or the energy to spend 15-20 minutes to convince them that what they are doing is counterproductive.

So for me personally i stopped communicating when soloqing. 99% of the time it leads to discussions which are more often than not a distraction. I ping nodes....and target players. Thats it. 

If i had to give one advice to newer player it would be to learn to listen. Ask friendly advice once the game is over, dont take critique personal and be open minded. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Locuz.2651 said:

Its really hard to communicate with newer players in this game. The most important reason for that is that the fast majority of all players (incl new ones) think they know everything allready. I dont have the time or the energy to spend 15-20 minutes to convince them that what they are doing is counterproductive.

So for me personally i stopped communicating when soloqing. 99% of the time it leads to discussions which are more often than not a distraction. I ping nodes....and target players. Thats it. 

If i had to give one advice to newer player it would be to learn to listen. Ask friendly advice once the game is over, dont take critique personal and be open minded. 

This.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Locuz.2651 said:

Valid points. We can only go so far and help those who seek them. If they are know-it-all yet new, then they will learn the hard way, learn on their own IF they decide to stay long enough. The shortcut to learning is to admit one is new, display enough passion to where a highly skilled player will recognize and give you feedback you wont find anywhere else. 

I agree with you. Time is precious. No skilled player will waste a second of their time to convince a newer player is counterproductive. Find skilled players who are truly passionate about their build or pvp. Admit you are new but are in awe of their skills. I know this because I've done it, I've admitted I was new and threw ego out the window. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Filip.7463 said:

This.

Yes he made good points. Thanks for dropping by the thread.

You and I both know we can't please everyone. I've seen builds shared on here where I absolutely agree with you on but I try to share some feedback on their build synergy and why theyve taken traits irrelevant to the build etc etc. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, greedywholesome.9081 said:

Yes he made good points. Thanks for dropping by the thread.

You and I both know we can't please everyone. I've seen builds shared on here where I absolutely agree with you on but I try to share some feedback on their build synergy and why theyve taken traits irrelevant to the build etc etc. 

U saw how impossible it was to explain to that scrapper guy his build is horrible.

• Like 1

Less “skilled” players are the worst of all in terms of toxicity to be honest. Most plat games I queue into, nobody says anything and people for the most part perform their roles. 

In these games, even a lost match doesn’t usually provoke plat players to flame. Although of course, those games are almost never a complete one sided wash.

48 minutes ago, ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

Less “skilled” players are the worst of all in terms of toxicity to be honest. Most plat games I queue into, nobody says anything and people for the most part perform their roles. 

In these games, even a lost match doesn’t usually provoke plat players to flame. Although of course, those games are almost never a complete one sided wash.

This is my first season.  After my 10 games, I got ranked at silver 3, just a few points short of gold.  Toxicity in map chat was frequent  in those games and almost always from a single player on the team.  I’ve since moved down to silver 1, and toxicity is rare now.

Kind of makes me wonder if most of the toxicity is mainly coming from players who just got pushed down from a higher metal color and are upset about it, because they feel they’re now at a lower ranking  than they deserve?  In other words is toxicity highest at the “3” ranks, coming from players who just got pushed down from the “1” rank above?

5 minutes ago, TheDarkness.6947 said:

This is my first season.  After my 10 games, I got ranked at silver 3, just a few points short of gold.  Toxicity in map chat was frequent  in those games and almost always from a single player on the team.  I’ve since moved down to silver 1, and toxicity is rare now.

Kind of makes me wonder if most of the toxicity is mainly coming from players who just got pushed down from a higher metal color and are upset about it, because they feel they’re now at a lower ranking  than they deserve?  In other words is toxicity highest at the “3” ranks, coming from players who just got pushed down from the “1” rank above?

High silver and low gold is probably the most "hostile" bracket. And I think what you said definitely comes into play. In the rating bracket you're at now, I think you'll find a lot more players who won't really care about losing, as they're likely still learning mechanics and rotations.

The biggest issue these days is of course, low PvP population leading to poor matchmaking.

2 hours ago, ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

High silver and low gold is probably the most "hostile" bracket. And I think what you said definitely comes into play. In the rating bracket you're at now, I think you'll find a lot more players who won't really care about losing, as they're likely still learning mechanics and rotations.

The biggest issue these days is of course, low PvP population leading to poor matchmaking.

Makes sense.  I wouldn’t say low silver players don’t care about losing.  Nobody really likes to lose, do they?

At least for me, I’m definitely focused more on what I can improve on than what someone else on the team did wrong.  I’d hope I continue that as my ranking goes up.  Everyone can always improve (at anything), and you really can’t control what other people do.

It's a waste of time to be nice if someone isn't willing to learn or are toxic. At the same time, you don't want people leaving. The people who are new that think they know it all are the most annoying and sometimes even more toxic. At the tier I played, during prime, teammates were constructive. You can immediately tell the quality of the team by how fast they rez you/you rez them despite being randoms.