Speculation: New Elite will give us Alacrity

AlexndrTheGreat.8310

18 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Where are you getting any of this from?

Firstly, I asked for a video as most on this sub-forum are just forum warriors that either don't play the class or only stick to PvE (you possibly being one as you keep mentioning competitive and streamers in derogatory ways).  

Secondly, 'Not consistent' does not mean 'cannot happen'; not sure if there is a language barrier here or what?

Also a ~3% roll on all being plasma is not something to bank on, not even in PvE...so not sure why you are intent on hammering that point home 😂.

Sorry maybe I'm unclear on my stance. My issue is that you misrepresented what random means. As someone who deals with statistical analysis daily, gambler's fallacy is a pet peeve of mine and I have to watch for conclusions like your original, that are backwards.

I've been avoiding the argument on alacrity since we've pretty much said all there is to say at this point and just as you said before, well know for sure really soon. (around about now-ish)

As for my opinion of streamers and competitive... I didn't say anything derogatory about streamers or PvP? I even played PvP casually a lot prior to Path of Fire where I ended up dropping off the game and really enjoy it. Sure, I don't watch live streams, but what I meant was I don't have a set-up to record gameplay and it's weird to assume that people just have that sort of thing on hand. So I instead presented what I'm good at, formulae.

You are correct I hate WvW, which is definitely part of why I don't want to see an Elite spec designed purely for zerging that still might not even meet the really high bar.

Edited by HotHit.6783
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HotHit.6783 said:

Sorry maybe I'm unclear on my stance. My issue is that you misrepresented what random means. As someone who deals with statistical analysis daily, gambler's fallacy is a pet peeve of mine and I have to watch for conclusions like your original, that are backwards.

Oh, gambler's fallacy...I think I may understand now. 

In my original point I wasn't trying to say you would be guaranteed to get plasma after a certain number of rolls; asking for that video was just to get someone to do the exercise showing that it took (at least one person) four tries to get it to happen three times in a row.  

My point is, the only metric we have for alacrity itself right now is getting it off a random roll from plasma on one very specific pet, the Siamoth.  To me, that means it is an afterthought coming with the 'all boons' you get, and balanced by the fact it is indeed random (there is no way to guarantee you roll plasma at will).  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267

On 10/17/2021 at 11:15 PM, anduriell.6280 said:

But then if we take into account multiple players any amount of boon application could lead to the same results. That should not be used to balance the game as it would require too many variables to even be possible to do it properly. Also you are asking for 5 rangers in your comp replacing other classes which should bring other needed utilities.  You could reduce the boon duration to 1 second and still with enough rangers doing acrobatics could get the 100% uptime.

Keep in mind Anet already has provided tools to add more Soulbeasts to your comps changing the stances to they would stack duration. I think that is a pretty clear message interactions are encouraged. 

That  should not be the case. Pulsing boons is a very difficult task to balance, there are too many factors in place to be able to balance it properly. And i think such an strong boons like Alacrity, Aegis, Quickness or stability should never become as pulsing boons unless the rest of the mechanic is designed to balance that. 

But i get what you are asking for. Instead Aegis the crab thing could apply a short buff for damage reduction similar to  the Rite of the Great Dwarf so it accumulates with protection. That could work and it would not be so oppresive. 

We've seen Timewarp and Feel My Wrath nerfed specifically to avoid the situation of a group being able to role-compress out a support by distributing Quickness across one skill apiece for otherwise optimised DPS builds. After that experience, I can't see ArenaNet letting it happen with alacrity. The small amount of alacrity you cited is enough for several rangers bouncing it off one another to get 100% uptime, which I can pretty much guarantee would become meta unless the overall DPS loss was similar to having a dedicated alacrity giver.

Alacrity on a pet is also particularly difficult to balance for two reasons. The first is that alacrity is something that you really need a lot of to matter. If you can give, say, 20% alacrity uptime for yourself in the open world, you may barely notice the effect, especially if it's in a low duration, low cooldown form, but if you have three friends working together to make it 100% it's a big deal. The overall impact of alacrity is exponential (up to 100%) - a small amount makes little difference, while 100% is massive. Quickness, on the other hand, is more linear - 100% is nice, sure, but 5% uptime will still give you 5% of the benefit of full uptime, while 5% uptime of alacrity is worth a lot less than 5% of full uptime. Which means that letting DPS builds get short bursts of Quickness is still useful where it isn't really for Alacrity. In short, if there isn't enough Alacrity there that you can't get high uptime by bouncing it off one another, is it really worth having at all?

The second issue is that pets aren't affected by player stats. So you can't have a situation where it becomes 'oh, you can 100% it if you bounce it off one another in full Diviner's, but it'll be under 50% if you're in your DPS gear'. If it's coming from the pet and there's enough to 100% it by bouncing it off one another, there's probably enough to 100% it in full berserkers (or your DPS set of choice). And if there's not enough to bounce it off one another, it's probably not worth taking solo due to how feeble the effect of 10% uptime is.