It turns out that the 2 most disappointing EoD specs use hammer

11 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

I was upset  with cata, then the icing on the cake of discouragement was untamed. I mean at the very least allow all weapons to use unleashed! The whole spec is a turn off. Every person I asked said the same thing, why not rifle? Hammer is a meme joke.

And cata completely ruined it for me, im like they cant be serious? Of all things a hammer on ele that already has weaver? Frontline bruiser lol haha. Shortbow longbow any ranged dps spec for ele would have been preferred at least fix core staff ele so we have options. Ele has a bruiser that does it much better than cata...its called weaver.

there are SO many issues with SO many of these "mundane-specs", but yeah, ranger is really problematic.  No synergy at all between weapon skills, pet skills, or traits.  the "unleased" form is utterly boring, lame and really visually fugly.  Why did it take 9 years to provide decent pet controls?  This should have implemented years ago, and something else entirely should have been provided for this boring spec.  

Don't even get me started on the whole "let's take the ranger pet and give to the engi, but we'll make WAY more powerful, just so we can show all those ranger players how much we don't give a sh!t".

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
On 11/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, Kain Francois.4328 said:

Give devs time to iron out the specs.

Many of the elite specs OP today were once bad too at their release. Remember beta mirage, and deadeye? Or even launch Renegade, which was a joke at first, and soon became a vital component in every group? Even FIREBRAND was a joke to people at launch. Lo and behold...

Do you people honestly think Catalyst and Untamed won't see any adjustments?

Woodenpotatoes said it best: Catalyst is a ticking time bomb of becoming completely overpowered as soon as they iron out the field mechanic. It can provide ludicrous amounts of damage while granting allies tons of boons, including quickness.

I think they will see "adjustments", some time in 2027, after they've had time to adjust all the other classes that they actually like.

I appreciate your optimism as well, but let's be realistic, wp makes his living off gw2 content.  He is never going to be honest about how unbelievably bad some of these specs are.  The catalyst, a kitten down scrapper with all the good stuff stripped out of and nerfed into useless oblivion even before launch, is, in the parlance of real estate: a complete tear down.  It needs to be completely scrapped and a completely different design created.  No one, literally NO ONE wanted another melee weapon for ele.  Even wp admitted that.  Is it really just coincidence that the "catalyst" has a "hammer" and a spiff new "jade gyro"?  No.  It's insulting.

Some of them would be "relatively" easy to fix, but all of them have thematic issues, synergy issues, conceptual issues.  They're almost all just really poorly, and half-assedly designed.  Except the thief, which is RIDICULOUSLY op, Again.  And the Engi, which is again, also ridiculously op.

• Confused 1
On 10/27/2021 at 1:02 AM, Chen kitten Shan.5418 said:

In the end, they still need to modify the values to make the pets usable. But compared to carrying two pets, attacking in a variety of ways, it is really really boring . I hope the next spec of ranger won't be using a scepter to throw wild magic to your pet.

omg, don't give them any ideas 

• Confused 1

From a business perspective it wouldn’t make sense to keep new specs underpowered. Trust and believe me they will be buffed greatly - they need people to buy the game. In pvp maybe not but in pve they will be low key broken

On 11/13/2021 at 11:51 PM, solarisnox.8521 said:

wp makes his living off gw2 content.  He is never going to be honest about how unbelievably bad some of these specs are.  It needs to be completely scrapped and a completely different design created.  No one, literally NO ONE wanted another melee weapon for ele.  Even wp admitted that.  Is it really just coincidence that the "catalyst" has a "hammer" and a spiff new "jade gyro"?  No.  It's insulting.

I don't see the correlation.
You should think about what you say before you criticize someone with the GW community for over a decade. With age comes wisdom, and I'd say WP is fairly wise at assessing class design. He mains Ele as well, so I think his insights into the class are fairly experienced.

Claiming someone is dishonest about class balance simply because they are an ArenaNet partner is... disingenuous at best, and fairly uninformed about the partner program.

Speaking of disingenuous, you're claiming nobody wanted a new melee weapon for ele. I can prove you objectively wrong right here, as there are posts on this forum, and around Twitch, which wanted a more frontline "bruiser"-style ele, like Scrapper. The players who wanted that technically got what they wanted in terms of aesthetic, and it's just a matter of polishing the spec itself. Ergo, never assume your own personal opinion is the only opinion. (From a balance standpoint, having a new spec add a new ranged weapon also does nothing to assess the problems with Staff and Scepter. If the issue is how clunky Scepter and Staff are to use, then it's better to fix them than to push them under a rug.)

Edited by Kain Francois.4328
  • Like 1