Back to the Past, not completable

I have 2 accounts I play on a regular basis.  My primary acct (this one) has access to doing past visions in the Scrying Pool, like Cragstead.  Which will allow me to complete the Back to the Past part of Return to Eye of the North.

I have a second account, that has every story done, and the Scrying Pool only gives me a choice of repeating Forging Steel.  I have replayed Forging Steel and Darkrime Delves twice to see if it would open up the past option...NOPE.

Seems a lot of people in EotN are having the same problem.

24 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

You have to unlock them…

Guess I never did that, not that I remember doing that on my main acct.  There is a message on the wall in EotN, that allows you to go to Cragstead and pick up the Sacred Wolf Fang, which will unlock that episode in the Scrying Pool.

I normally never leave wvw, guess I should go back.

Edited by Ubi.4136

10 minutes ago, Ubi.4136 said:

Guess I never did that, not that I remember doing that on my main acct.  There is a message on the wall in EotN, that allows you to go to Cragstead and pick up the Sacred Wolf Fang, which will unlock that episode in the Scrying Pool.

I normally never leave wvw, guess I should go back.

It’s something that can be missed as I don’t remember what tells us in game on how to unlock it and I believe we all were told how when that content was first released. The other instances unlock a similar way. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fungo Maligno.4081 said:

what is the name of the mission I should do to count the achievement ?

The easiest is Vision of the Past, Cragstead.

If you've done Forging Steel and Darkrime Delves, there will be a message hanging on the wall between the main room and the room with Aurene in EotN.

After reading the message, it unlocks a collectible item in Cragstead.  Northeast corner of the norn starting zone.  All the way in the back of Cragstead is a Sacred Wolf Fang.  Collecting that item, unlocks the scrying pool choice to do the past vision of Cragstead mission.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

A couple of helpful notes : If you need help on how to unlock those episodes, there is a message on a slab in the corridor that leads to the Scrying Pool, that message will open your achievement window everytime you're missing something to unlock an episode.

To unlock an episode, you need to go to the map where it would normally have taken place and find an object in the area. If you participate in an episode without having unlocked it, it will not count toward your achievement. If you and your teamates have all unlocked the episode, doing it once will count for everyone. 

There are 4 such episodes, they take you to Wayfarer Foothills (Cragstead), Diessa Plateau (North Nolan Hatchery), Southsun Cove (Canach's Hideout) and Kessex Hills (The Tower of Nightmare).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Helpful, thanks!

When I was trying to figure it out through the wiki I was starting with the Return To page, and couldn't find any useful links off it. Searching "Scrying Pool" came up with a great lore description, but I didn't see that the word "message" was a link.

6 hours ago, Naxos.2503 said:

A couple of helpful notes : If you need help on how to unlock those episodes, there is a message on a slab in the corridor that leads to the Scrying Pool, that message will open your achievement window everytime you're missing something to unlock an episode.

To unlock an episode, you need to go to the map where it would normally have taken place and find an object in the area. If you participate in an episode without having unlocked it, it will not count toward your achievement. If you and your teamates have all unlocked the episode, doing it once will count for everyone. 

There are 4 such episodes, they take you to Wayfarer Foothills (Cragstead), Diessa Plateau (North Nolan Hatchery), Southsun Cove (Canach's Hideout) and Kessex Hills (The Tower of Nightmare).

Thanks Naxos. Just the information I was looking for.

18 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Helpful, thanks!

When I was trying to figure it out through the wiki I was starting with the Return To page, and couldn't find any useful links off it. Searching "Scrying Pool" came up with a great lore description, but I didn't see that the word "message" was a link.

Yeah, it's kind of buried in the footnotes. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 10 months later...

In September 2022 I've searched far and wide to complete this achievement.

Since the re-release of Living World season 1, the unlockable stories for the Scrying Pool are removed.

Also the items to unlock episodes from LWS1 are gone from their locations.

Replaying the first 3 of the re-released episodes will not grant you the achievement either.

The way I managed to unlock the achievement was to do LWS1 episode 4 - "Tower of Nightmares".

1. Start the episode from the hero panel.

2. Follow the quests until you end up at the Tower of Nightmares.

3. Join a public group and work your way up to the top of the tower, finishing the instance.

4. On the top level, past the big Tri-key Chest and near some vendors and the diving goggles, step into the green star and enter your personal story instance.

5. Complete this story step and get the achievement "Back to the Past".

I hope this helped you getting closer obtaining that fancy Legendary Amulet!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 9:18 PM, Yoast.8572 said:

In September 2022 I've searched far and wide to complete this achievement.

Since the re-release of Living World season 1, the unlockable stories for the Scrying Pool are removed.

Also the items to unlock episodes from LWS1 are gone from their locations.

Replaying the first 3 of the re-released episodes will not grant you the achievement either.

The way I managed to unlock the achievement was to do LWS1 episode 4 - "Tower of Nightmares".

1. Start the episode from the hero panel.

2. Follow the quests until you end up at the Tower of Nightmares.

3. Join a public group and work your way up to the top of the tower, finishing the instance.

4. On the top level, past the big Tri-key Chest and near some vendors and the diving goggles, step into the green star and enter your personal story instance.

5. Complete this story step and get the achievement "Back to the Past".

I hope this helped you getting closer obtaining that fancy Legendary Amulet!

I can confirm this. After nothing else completed Back to the Past, I did LWS1 - Tower of Nightmares. After finishing the Nightmare Incarnate story, Back to the Past was completed and finished the Return to the Eye of the North achievement for me.

Best of luck to everyone working on Seasons of the Dragons!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 12:34 AM, mythical.6315 said:

It’s something that can be missed as I don’t remember what tells us in game on how to unlock it and I believe we all were told how when that content was first released. The other instances unlock a similar way. 

The answer is nothing - nothing in the game tells us how to unlock it at the pool.  This is hands down the most frustrating part of the game.  It's not simply that there isn't a guidepost, it's that the guideposts that do exist actually lead players to believe this achievement is bugged rather than even hinting that forging steel isn't a valid vision. 

• Confused 1