Tempest or Weaver

kanorsanity.9752

Hi all,

So i was just looking into what is better in certain situations. I mainly play pve and want to maybe play some raids/fracs with elementalist.

I was wondering which is better tempest or weaver in the following:

Raids

Fractals

Open World

Also what type of build would suit.

Thank you 🙂

You're allowed two sets of equipment and three builds so you can play both.

Weaver is mainly played as damage, as they don't have access to many support skills beyond what the Core Elementalist has access to. A few more heals from dual attuning, that's about it. But they make an excellent DPS (for instanced PvE) and even tank (for casual PvE and for PvP as they're good at holding nodes) if built right.

The most common Weaver solo build is Fire Weaver, which generates large amounts of barrier (defense) while constantly burning everything around them.

Tempest does okay damage via their Fire and Air Overloads but is mostly about support. They're typically built as Auramancers, providing auras, boons and healing to the entire party. They can also have dedicated %healing builds that have the highest HPS output in the game, and being the backup healer is their main role in instanced content, although they aren't commonly seen outside of raids.

One thing to understand about Tempest is their Overloads and Shouts all affect ten players, which is twice as many as normal, so they're also an excellent open-world support. I personally play my Tempest as main on all game modes using a quasi-support build (a combination of Auramancer and Summoner), which allows me to provide strong group support while also soloing anything in the game by giving my summoned Elementals tons of boons and using them to attack while I avoid damage from AoE circles, etc.

The next expo is also bringing the Catalyst in just ~1month, which provides group Quickness . Catalyst will likely be favored over Tempest or Weaver for 5man instanced content.

All Ele specs have complex gameplay, probably the most complex in the game. You need to learn proper rotations, attunements, combo fields/finishers, and so on. When played right, you are nearly invulnerable even to groups of enemies (even other players), but when played wrong you're a free kill. I recommend playing all three specs and practicing alot with each of them against tough opponents.

Remember you're allowed two full sets of equipment and three full builds and can swap between them at any time using the arrow above your weaponswap button.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

You're allowed two sets of equipment and three builds so you can play both.

Weaver is mainly played as damage, as they don't have access to many support skills beyond what the Core Elementalist has access to. A few more heals from dual attuning, that's about it. But they make an excellent DPS (for instanced PvE) and even tank (for casual PvE and for PvP as they're good at holding nodes) if built right.

The most common Weaver solo build is Fire Weaver, which generates large amounts of barrier (defense) while constantly burning everything around them.

Tempest does okay damage via their Fire and Air Overloads but is mostly about support. They're typically built as Auramancers, providing auras, boons and healing to the entire party. They can also have dedicated %healing builds that have the highest HPS output in the game, and being the backup healer is their main role in instanced content, although they aren't commonly seen outside of raids.

One thing to understand about Tempest is their Overloads and Shouts all affect ten players, which is twice as many as normal, so they're also an excellent open-world support. I personally play my Tempest as main on all game modes using a quasi-support build (a combination of Auramancer and Summoner), which allows me to provide strong group support while also soloing anything in the game by giving my summoned Elementals tons of boons and using them to attack while I avoid damage from AoE circles, etc.

The next expo is also bringing the Catalyst in just ~1month, which provides group Quickness . Catalyst will likely be favored over Tempest or Weaver for 5man instanced content.

All Ele specs have complex gameplay, probably the most complex in the game. You need to learn proper rotations, attunements, combo fields/finishers, and so on. When played right, you are nearly invulnerable even to groups of enemies (even other players), but when played wrong you're a free kill. I recommend playing all three specs and practicing alot with each of them against tough opponents.

Remember you're allowed two full sets of equipment and three full builds and can swap between them at any time using the arrow above your weaponswap button.

Thankyou! what are your builds and where did u get them from?

Like Hannelore.8153 said, both Weaver and Tempest have different roles and strengths, but to give you a straight answer:

Raids (for builds check out snowcrows.com)

Tempest - if you're newer to Elementalists or as a Healer/Boon Support

Weaver - if you're comfortable with the piano gameplay

Fractals

Weaver - if you're comfortable with the piano gameplay, but remember that:

1) fractals are kinda scary and usually requires you to run Master's Fortitude - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)
2) Fractal meta is a thing, and Elementalists are not in it

Open World

Tempest, Tempest, Tempest - playing Weaver in open world is like trying to run a Marathon after breaking a leg on purpose.
For farming / meta trains try [fast] Farming Community (farming-community.eu), for Open World use whatever you like 🙂

On 1/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, kanorsanity.9752 said:

Hi all,

So i was just looking into what is better in certain situations. I mainly play pve and want to maybe play some raids/fracs with elementalist.

I was wondering which is better tempest or weaver in the following:

Raids

Fractals

Open World

Also what type of build would suit.

Thank you 🙂

I think the others covered it pretty well, but in case you haven't looked into it: 

This thread is all about condi sword weaver for open world.  It's a popular pick because it has strong damage and excellent sustain.  However, as others have noted it isn't the easiest to pick up and play.  This build (or variants of it) also works well for WvW roaming, PvP, fractals, and strikes.  It can be used for raiding, but you'll want to avoid using stats like trailblazer/celestial for that due to the toughness tanking mechanics.

Here is my latest video in the thread, featuring an unedited segment of open world solo play using the fire/arcane celestial variant against a variety of enemies, including all of the Auric Basin HP champions.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 1

Raids: Tempest healing is phenominal, unfortunately while it has high healing it doesnt bring much else to the table besides rebound so generally ends up as a secondary support to druid.

Fractals: healing isnt really needed in fractals so dps weaver makes more sense, generally sword builds are the most common

Open world: much more up to you really, most of all content can be done with any build as long as you commit to it, heck when I started I was using a earth bending build with power and toughness and only earth skills. But generally the best open world builds are fresh air tempest or weaver (multiple options). The best place to see good base builds is https://metabattle.com/wiki/Elementalist, I say base builds because I would highly recommend customizing them a bit to your liking as what you may be more skilled at utilizing wont be the same as others, the builds are more baseline strategies than can be stretched to fit your needs.