Using the F1-4 keys doesn't trigger skills, only speakers...

Hello, 

Returning after a too long break and do not know how to set up my keyboard so that I can use the F1-4 skills available.  Currently they are set to mute and adjust the volume of my speakers and one is rewind video.  Is it best to change them in game to something like delete, insert, home, end or is there a fix in my computer set up I can do?  If all else fails I am tempted to get either a new keyboard or new speakers but that really is a last resort atm budget wise.  

Thank you for any tips or fixes.

It usually depends on your computer, as far as I know. If you press F2 or F8 while your computer is booting (your screen should briefly tell you what to press), you can enter the BIOS settings for your motherboard. Somewhere in the settings available to you there, you might find a setting that allows you to determine what happens when you press the F1-F12 keys. So you can set it to do the normal F1/F2/etc function if you press one of those keys, and only do the mute/speaker function when you press the "function" key along with the F keys.

I've only ever had to do this on laptops, so I'm not sure if most desktop BIOSes even bother with this. However, laptop BIOS settings for the F keys also apply to external keyboards attached to the laptop, so it's not something unique to the keyboard actually built into the laptops themselves.

I'm not sure any of this applies to macs. I haven't ever done any setup/support/repair work on one of those, so you might need to figure something else out if you're on a mac and what I described doesn't apply.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Thanks 1

I just got off Chat with Support and they told me I have no way of changing the Function presets.  Very upset, I really prefer customizable products.  I am going to look into gaming keyboards to find one without the presets that I do not want.  I hope that will solve my problem...unless another user has a cheap fix for me 🙂

There should be a Fn key to toggle between the F# keys and their alternative functions while the key is held. You may or may not also have a Fn lock key, which could be its own key or a function of another key (look for a lock icon). It may also be configurable through software if your keyboard came with software/drivers.

Every keyboard/manufacturer is different, so your best bet is googling your keyboard (or laptop if it's a laptop) about how to disable/toggle the function keys.

• Like 3

Check your keyboard for an F-Lock button. This can toggle between the normal F1-F12 functions and the multimedia keys.

Some computers (laptops) have the BIOS option to enable the normal F1-F12 functions as default on startup.

If you're on a desktop, I would consider buying a keyboard with no or separate multimedia keys so your F1-F12 function keys are always available.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the replies.  My keyboard came with the computer so no separate software.  The lock icon locks my computer and using fn and lock just locks the computer 😕

I found the fn key has to be held to use the F1-4 skills but I have not found a fn lock to toggle between the current multi media preset to switch to game play mode.  I will research gaming keyboads that keep the keys separate.  In the mean time I will use the fn key or *gasp the mouse.

Happy gaming!  

On 1/22/2022 at 4:50 AM, AmusingMoniker.3560 said:

Thank you all for the replies.  My keyboard came with the computer so no separate software.  The lock icon locks my computer and using fn and lock just locks the computer 😕

I found the fn key has to be held to use the F1-4 skills but I have not found a fn lock to toggle between the current multi media preset to switch to game play mode.  I will research gaming keyboads that keep the keys separate.  In the mean time I will use the fn key or *gasp the mouse.

Happy gaming!  

If you turn around your keyboard so you can see your keyboards back side, do you see any note for what brand or SKU (serial number of that device or something to ID your keyboard) that you have as that might help to see if you are tied to hardware limitation or software on how to use F keys or multimedia key mode, most likely those keys are controlled from keyboard software (drivers) even when one didn't have to install anything.

It might not be necessary to purchase a new keyboard if you know what keyboard (or hardware) you have that can be changed from software or even if there is a hidden key combination to set up your keyboard between modes. You can find manuals on Internet for almost everything today, so it might be helpful if you have that information to search for your manual on how those keys can be changed between F key mode and multimedia mode.

• Like 1