If companions are the core mechanic of the ranger, why is it so abandoned?

anduriell.6280

On 1/31/2022 at 3:13 AM, Daddy.8125 said:

Here's effectively why:

- pets are largely bugged and only a few of them are not bugged

- Anet don't like AI being too strong because of PvP reasons really, watching people get murdered by AI in a player Vs player enviroment is largely disliked by the playerbaae. 

- pets AI isn't intelligent enough not just stand in everything. 

The new elite does work to give more control on your pets damage realistically, but ilargely it's a unpopular mechanic. Hence why we saw the introduction of soulbeast and so many love it. 

Anet know what they want to do with em. They just exist for RP purposes and I guess tail swipe gameplay sees some good use in PvP. 

Untamed seems to bring more pet power in PvP atleast.but we will see how long that lasts 

That's the kind of reasoning I hate....they are the ones who made the professions and now they expect the players to pay for the poor decision making. You make a class to be dependable on AI to achieve maximum efficiency and now because Timmy and Jimmu get killed by such AI...they go and gut the AI....but it's already in the game so you either remove and replace it with something, Timmy and Jimmy won't whine about (wishful thinking I know....gw2 players cry about anything if it kills them) or you stop caring at all about Timmy and Jimmy crying in the first place. You cannot nerf a class mechanic into uselessness....it's not like ranger players can decide to play with a pet or not, it's not our fault  you kittened up and neither we are supposed to care if people like AI or not. This is must be the only MMO where the playerbase whine about pet class....or the mage doing dmg with a staff....or the warrior class doing what warrior do in every other kitten MMO

Edited by Arheundel.6451

On 1/30/2022 at 7:09 PM, Yasai.3549 said:

If it were up to me, I'll do this : 
- Ranger weapon damage reduced by 30% from current
- Pet damage increased by 50% from current

I guess I'm grateful that it's not up to you. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to having the pet be more effective, and as the "pet class" seeing the ranger playstyle actually leaning on the pet more than it does now. However, just the number changes you suggest would be disastrous. 50% increase on pet damage... +50% of 0 dps is still 0 dps. Seriously, for most pets they cannot land a single hit on the training golems walking in a circle.

How hard the pets hit is not the problem. How little they actually land hits is the problem. It is also, as others have mentioned, not a problem ANet appears equipped to solve. Soulbeast was the first step in the right direction; can't solve the pet problem, so just find a way to eliminate the pet and give the stats back to the player. Untamed is 100 steps back in the wrong direction, imo. 

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I guess I'm grateful that it's not up to you. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to having the pet be more effective, and as the "pet class" seeing the ranger playstyle actually leaning on the pet more than it does now. However, just the number changes you suggest would be disastrous. 50% increase on pet damage... +50% of 0 dps is still 0 dps. Seriously, for most pets they cannot land a single hit on the training golems walking in a circle.

How hard the pets hit is not the problem. How little they actually land hits is the problem. It is also, as others have mentioned, not a problem ANet appears equipped to solve. Soulbeast was the first step in the right direction; can't solve the pet problem, so just find a way to eliminate the pet and give the stats back to the player. Untamed is 100 steps back in the wrong direction, imo. 

Honestly doesn't make sense how Anet does things. Pets have inconsistent hits but somehow Necro minions have the stickiness of week old gum. 

Maybe Pets need that sort of stickiness without relying on movement inhibiting effects. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Honestly doesn't make sense how Anet does things. Pets have inconsistent hits but somehow Necro minions have the stickiness of week old gum. 

Maybe Pets need that sort of stickiness without relying on movement inhibiting effects. 

This video is from 2015 and nothing has changed. Now with untamed we are being pushed more into this.

2015, 7 years has come by and still the same.  
So that's why I am asking what is going on. It can not be Anet hasn't been able to figure it out on how to make them work. So it has to be other reasons, but untamed pushing this mechanic into the newest expansion makes you seriously rethink their objectives for the ranger. 

Not only that but also any other minion/companion mechanic have slowly been removed from the ranger along the years. Why? Companions are supposed to be core mechanic of this class, even more than Necro.  

Edited by anduriell.6280

My Ranger is my 2nd favorite avatar (Necro/minion master is 1st).  I send the pet out to attack, and that allows me to hang back with the longbow.  The ranger is a bit squishy so letting the pet take most of aggro is enough.  If they monster attacks me I can shoot the skill that makes me invisible, and they turn back to fight the pet.They may not do a lot of damage, but the are a good distraction.  😎

• Like 1
  • Confused 1