This game really needs more advertisement

Release of an expansion is a big opportunity for people outside of your usual player base to notice your game. But all of the advertisement anet has done is mostly for people that are already playing the game. Why would i go to a Guild Wars twitter when Steam tells me if i want to take a break from WoW there is a Final Fantasy and Bots Ark? How i would even know that guild wars has a twitter in the first place?

Just a few days after the release a game is streamed by the same people for the same people who were there pre expansion anyway. 

I know some developers overinvest in advertisement while cutting the budget up to a point where we have release day disasters such as Diablo Resurrected and New World. But it looks like anet is literally on the other end of the same short stick. They have released an actually playable (imagine this, in a year 2022 a playable on release game is considered a success) expansion and are ironing out the bugs day by day for a game that so few people even know about.

Its a shame. I wish we had more people to play with, after all this game deserver it. 

Edited by Teplokot.7654
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

So the cup deal at Carl Jr/Hardees, sponsoring popular streamers videos and various ads on MMOs sites and Facebook don't count.

Arguably they've done more to get this expansion out there than they did with POF.  What makes you think that they're not advertising outside normal channels?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Shortly before the expansion came out there were a bunch of reviews on different sites from journalists who got to try the expansion early, it wasn't just streamers.

But also while I wouldn't consider Twitter a good way to advertise anything you don't need to be following a specific Twitter account to see what they're saying. If anyone you follow likes, retweets or comments on it then it'll show up for you as well, and Twitter will periodically recommend accounts and topics to follow based on what it thinks you're interested in. It makes the whole site a bit of a mess (which is why I wouldn't consider it a good way to advertise) but it does mean the word will get out to people who aren't following the GW2 Twitter account.

I don't really understand advertising, in any medium (in spite of learning more about it than I'd like for my work) but I've noticed that recently there's been a lot of posts from new players and people returning after years away because they heard about EoD, so it seems to be Anet are doing something right. I don't know where any of those new players heard about the game, but it obviously happened or they wouldn't be here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

They actually paid Rich Campbell to stream the game. So after a 9 hour Lost Ark stream he did. He had no voice by then. So he created a character, ran around a bit, did the most cringe shill like commentary of "wow this game is so good, you need to try it" and then watched a few mount videos before turning the stream off. It was hilarious honestly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think one of the main issues with Advertising gw2 eod is even if you do manage to hook in someone who had no interest in gw2 before, its not like you can actually just start EoD right away. I mean you can with the free 80 booster but then you also are skipping a LOT of the story. Most of the time if someone new started now we'd say do the first quest in PoF to get the mount and then start from the first living world 2 maps (there's a reason those taxi's exist). (Different in other mmo's for example WoW, when Legion launched I logged in, used the booster and could 100% ignore everything that had happened previously, because that game is a raid game not a story game).

Honestly, we all just got all living worlds for free. EoD should have shipped with all of them as additions to everything we got for purchasing for at least the first week or month. That way, a new player can come into the game and be able to play the story from start to finish, without the living world gaps they either still need to pay for or grind for. Still doesn't change the fact that my 2 gamer brothers who have both played gw2 before and are playing games from steam and other mmo's, had no idea EoD even existed until I told them. 

10 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

So the cup deal at Carl Jr/Hardees, sponsoring popular streamers videos and various ads on MMOs sites and Facebook don't count.

Arguably they've done more to get this expansion out there than they did with POF.  What makes you think that they're not advertising outside normal channels?

I guess that deal only would work in one Country, as in Australia we had nothing like that. "Popular" Streamers? Yeah that worked well, gw2 has no real popular streamers when our most popular have hardly any views if you compare it to most anything and one only gets views due to free give away's. GW2 is just not a game people watch. Also ad's on mmo sites and facebook don't count, adblocker is a thing and who uses Facebook these days. 

They needed to make adverts for the game themselves (better then the trailers we got, much better make them actual adverts) and sponsor popular Youtubers (such as LetsGameItOut). They needed to push the expac out with all previous releases included. They needed more word of mouth spreading news. They needed Billboards on highways and posters all over the world. Needed popular gaming reddit's to advertise, popular non-news gaming sources (as most turn all gaming news sources off). I mean there is so many better ways. Even an advert on Steams front page would have done more work then everything they did. I had no idea Eldin ring existed, saw it on Steam's front page and BAM instantly knew about it. 

1 hour ago, Gorem.8104 said:

I think one of the main issues with Advertising gw2 eod is even if you do manage to hook in someone who had no interest in gw2 before, its not like you can actually just start EoD right away. I mean you can with the free 80 booster but then you also are skipping a LOT of the story. Most of the time if someone new started now we'd say do the first quest in PoF to get the mount and then start from the first living world 2 maps (there's a reason those taxi's exist). (Different in other mmo's for example WoW, when Legion launched I logged in, used the booster and could 100% ignore everything that had happened previously, because that game is a raid game not a story game).

Honestly, we all just got all living worlds for free. EoD should have shipped with all of them as additions to everything we got for purchasing for at least the first week or month. That way, a new player can come into the game and be able to play the story from start to finish, without the living world gaps they either still need to pay for or grind for. Still doesn't change the fact that my 2 gamer brothers who have both played gw2 before and are playing games from steam and other mmo's, had no idea EoD even existed until I told them. 

I guess that deal only would work in one Country, as in Australia we had nothing like that. "Popular" Streamers? Yeah that worked well, gw2 has no real popular streamers when our most popular have hardly any views if you compare it to most anything and one only gets views due to free give away's. GW2 is just not a game people watch. Also ad's on mmo sites and facebook don't count, adblocker is a thing and who uses Facebook these days. 

They needed to make adverts for the game themselves (better then the trailers we got, much better make them actual adverts) and sponsor popular Youtubers (such as LetsGameItOut). They needed to push the expac out with all previous releases included. They needed more word of mouth spreading news. They needed Billboards on highways and posters all over the world. Needed popular gaming reddit's to advertise, popular non-news gaming sources (as most turn all gaming news sources off). I mean there is so many better ways. Even an advert on Steams front page would have done more work then everything they did. I had no idea Eldin ring existed, saw it on Steam's front page and BAM instantly knew about it. 

Anet didn't sponsor Guild Wars 2 streamers. They sponsored WoW and Final Fantasy streamers.   And those videos did get watched by a lot of people because they were posted and I went to them and a lot of people were watching them.  I'm Australian. I live in Tasmanian. Both my sons, now in their 30s are gamers and they watch popular streamers all the time, sometimes playing games they don't play themselves. It's how they get their information. Sometimes they'll see something on a stream that encourages them to try the game, based on that popular streamer having fun.  Getting popular streamers in the game is a good thing and yeah, it affects Australians too, though not necessarily Australians my age. 

As for not being able to play the new expansion without missing story, that's true of pretty much every MMO on the market. You can't buy the new FF XIV and start playing and just start from the new expansion.  I don't believe most people, the vast majority, play MMO for story and for those who do, there are plenty who don't care about spoilers, or would watch recaps. They're probably the same people who watch popular streamers.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Mortime.1359 said:

They actually paid Rich Campbell to stream the game. So after a 9 hour Lost Ark stream he did. He had no voice by then. So he created a character, ran around a bit, did the most cringe shill like commentary of "wow this game is so good, you need to try it" and then watched a few mount videos before turning the stream off. It was hilarious honestly.

Yeah after nine hours guy has barely any wind in him. Then he streams GW for an hour mostly answering questions about Bots Ark and will he stream Elden Ring (not his fault tho). Loses his voice all the way then watches youtube videos of mount races. 

I think i ve seen Bajheera in gw2 but it was so brief that i could not even find a GW chapter in his vods. 

All the youtube videos about EoD are from people you would see ONLY if you are already playing it. Like Mukluk, Mela, Vallun,  Guildjen, Teapot etc. Thats it.

Such advertisement much coverage  

• Like 1

Trust me, we've come a long way with GW2 advertisement and they're doing as good as they ever had. Not joking. EoD has actually been advertised. Not that this should stop, please ANet keep up the good work and keep advertising this great game.
But as I said, OP, we've seen worse, far worse...

Spoiler

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Mortime.1359 said:

Summit1g playing GW2, by his own choice was a bigger deal two years ago, but I think the Steam launch was still waiting to happen too.

They at least tried sponsoring streamers like Moistcritical and Rich, who have higher viewership than all the regular GW2 streamers, but most of them played the early game leveling stuff or boosted, while playing with camera shake on aswell.

It also released within weeks of Lost Ark which had twitch drops and is f2p, elden ring and the new Destiny 2 expac, so I doubt they can do more, especially when you see EoD being advertised in Twitch ads, besides the usual Amazon ads you end up seeing.

Edited by NeonBlue.3657
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lokh.2695 said:

Trust me, we've come a long way with GW2 advertisement and they're doing as good as they ever had. Not joking. EoD has actually been advertised. Not that this should stop, please ANet keep up the good work and keep advertising this great game.
But as I said, OP, we've seen worse, far worse...

Hide contents

...... There is no words to what I have just witnessed. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Teplokot.7654 said:

Yeah after nine hours guy has barely any wind in him. Then he streams GW for an hour mostly answering questions about Bots Ark and will he stream Elden Ring (not his fault tho). Loses his voice all the way then watches youtube videos of mount races. 

I think i ve seen Bajheera in gw2 but it was so brief that i could not even find a GW chapter in his vods. 

All the youtube videos about EoD are from people you would see ONLY if you are already playing it. Like Mukluk, Mela, Vallun,  Guildjen, Teapot etc. Thats it.

Such advertisement much coverage  

Towelliee and Staysafe both played as well. And there were others.

• Confused 1