Best Gem Store Purchases

I'd strongly suggest doing a search on the forums and YouTube as it is a common question that gets a lot of answers.  The answer is generally the same but your needs will be different than others and will change over time.

My general rule of thumb for the gem store: Everything goes on sale eventually, and usually for 20-30% off.  Unless you absolutely want/need something today, it's okay to wait.  Fortunately, we are at the beginning of the annual March sale so I would anticipate a variety of good items reduced.

My choice of things to buy include LWS chapter, Bank Slots, Character Slots, Shared Inventory Slots, Infinite Gathering Tools.  These are all things that you cannot acquire or earn in game.

Things to avoid: Cosmetics (unless you really just have to have that outfit), Level 80 Boosters, Utility Items (like TP to Friend, Heroic Boosters, etc).  These are things you can earn in game, through login rewards, or do not offer any tangible benefit to gameplay.

Yes, the seasons are worth having, not only for continuity of story, but also for some fun maps and materials.  

My personal favorites gem store purchases include unbreakable gathering tools, more bag, character, and bank slots, and a world boss teleport device.  It definitely depends on what you value and want to do.  

Mungo is very correct in not buying boosters or utility items.  You get those through game play.  

Cosmetics are subjective, if you find a skin you like and want to spend gems, that's an aesthetic choice.  

• Like 1

My advice for now is wait and see what you want. There's no definitive must-have items but lots which could be a good choice depending on you. For example I know quite a few people who always prioritise getting extra bag slots for their characters, but I've bought 1 in 9 years and feel like that was a bit of a waste because I don't really need it. It depends on what you do and how you play as much as anything.

Also as Mungo Zen mentioned most things go on sale sooner or later so you may save some money by waiting.

The Living World packs are a good choice for a lot of people, but even then it depends on if you want to play through the entire story (and if you want to do it in order, in which case you can definitely space out the purchases) or if you want access to the maps to farm their events and items.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

My advice for now is wait and see what you want. There's no definitive must-have items but lots which could be a good choice depending on you. For example I know quite a few people who always prioritise getting extra bag slots for their characters, but I've bought 1 in 9 years and feel like that was a bit of a waste because I don't really need it. It depends on what you do and how you play as much as anything.

Also as Mungo Zen mentioned most things go on sale sooner or later so you may save some money by waiting.

The Living World packs are a good choice for a lot of people, but even then it depends on if you want to play through the entire story (and if you want to do it in order, in which case you can definitely space out the purchases) or if you want access to the maps to farm their events and items.

Good points!  I don't think I started buying anything for a while until it was something I was certain I wanted to invest in.  I have extra bag slots on two characters that I have played the most, and absolutely waited until they went on sale.  After four years of playing I bought some shared inventory slots, again on sale.  I enjoy farming and open world, so my purchases compliment that.  So playing for a bit then seeing what would be a quality of life item would be beneficial for someone is good advice.  

• Bag slots, bank tabs, storage expander are worth it imo. But I'm a Skritt and need space for all the Shinies.
  • Living World chapters are needed for story, achievements and legendary trinkets. But they have been temporarily free in the past so you can take the gamble that they will be free at some point in the future if you're not there yet.
  • Infinite salvage kits are quite convenient.
  • Gems to gold exchange is nice if you're low on gold and don't want to farm all day. If you do, wait for a good time to make the exchange.
    http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem Exchange when the graph is HIGH.
  • All items are getting on sale sooner or later. It is always a good idea to wait for a sale.
Edited by TheQuickFox.3826