solo open world play and how it gets worse and worse the higher level areas become, with eod and it's breakbar madness being the worst so far.

15 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Or people can learn the mechanics of the game they play and complete the content if they want rewards. Telling people to keep doing content underleveled (so I guess they'll constantly need to re-create newe characters in order to have that content?) is just weird. On the other hand if the easy content is all you want to play, then you have plenty of the options available in the game already.

mechanics, u mean the visual noise with poor telegraphs?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

The fundamental problem is that you like a game that wasn't working out.  GW2 showed tons of promise, but all of it went out the window after players realized "This is it?  Really?"  An expansion modeled after the core game would be a disaster for GW2.

I mean, it's a moot point now. The game is long past what it was originally. BUT, that being said, this seems like a sus claim. Although it's true HoT was a significant ramp up in difficulty that turned some people away (myself included for years) core tyria of now is easier than core tyria of then because of power creep and mounts. Like you can't just look at core tyria now and go "an expansion modeled after this would be a joke." You have to take into account what it was then. And if you are trying to say there wasn't enough to do with yourself at end game back then, sure, that's a problem the core game may have had. But fixing that did not require ramping up difficulty in the way that they did. Masteries were a clever way of giving you more to do, as was the major expansion of collections, but they didn't have to introduce masteries in such a brutally confusing, punishing, and railroaded environment (HoT). They didn't have to not do hearts; a mistake they corrected in later content after much outcry about it.

They may have gone too far and paid for it in player loss. I don't think anyone can really say because we don't have the numbers. What we do know is they have done well enough to continue on and make two more expansions, along with a lot more living story content, so they're doing something right. Whether it's in the direction of growth is a whole other question.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Is the tutorial really fantastic?  In my opinion, this stuff is a waste of time because the problem has never been that the game doesn't teach enough about the mechanics.  For years now the story has taught new mechanics with auditory, visual, and UI prompts as well as introducing new concepts in an intuitive way as you progress the story.  Did it stop a certain subset of players from failing and then railing about the difficulty?  Nope.  Not even a little bit.

The problem is that some players are legitimately not interested in learning mechanics.  They don't care about that and it isn't why they're here.  If you keep forcing this stuff all you do is end up annoying the players who already understand the mechanics because they do care about these things and bothered to actually pay attention.

You want people to understand breakbars?  Put it in the tooltips as breakbar damage and slap a number or percentage on the bar like you do with damage/health and be done with it.  This is not a difficult concept.

Combo finishers?  Why not just add a secondary tooltip with right click like we do with other things?  It can explain exactly what happens if you use the combo blast inside each type of field right there in the tooltip so anyone who cares can simply read it and understand. 

We don't need hold-your-hand tutorials for this because the players you design them for will never care.  They just want to play the game.  The rest of us already understand because we do care and these are not difficult concepts.

I think adding more tutorials and more ingame tips will not solve anything. 

The combat system isnt rocket science, anyone willing to learn will learn it. But if its not required during gameplay some just dont bother. 

Now in a game with emphasis on player limited player number instance content you can ramp up mechanics gradually each dungeon, raid and players will have to learn to progress. In a game like gw2 where majority plays only story and ow you would need to do it in those modes. And here comes ED meta. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

mechanics, u mean the visual noise with poor telegraphs?

No, I mean mechanics that are explained and can be easly practiced if you actually want to learn them instead of spending time on the forum trying to bait more rewards for less gameplay.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I mean, it's a moot point now. The game is long past what it was originally. BUT, that being said, this seems like a sus claim. Although it's true HoT was a significant ramp up in difficulty that turned some people away (myself included for years) core tyria of now is easier than core tyria of then because of power creep and mounts. Like you can't just look at core tyria now and go "an expansion modeled after this would be a joke." You have to take into account what it was then. And if you are trying to say there wasn't enough to do with yourself at end game back then, sure, that's a problem the core game may have had

Please, lets not pretend that core is somehow easy specifically "because of expansion power creep", because that's not it. Expansions provided more power, sure, but core is and was easy without them as well. Level up a new character without mounts and the "expansion power creep" is nonexistant there and yet... Still tutorial level (which is k for new players, but the game shouldn't -and didn't- stay that way past that).

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, I mean mechanics that are explained and can be easly practiced if you actually want to learn them instead of spending time on the forum trying to bait more rewards for less gameplay.

lol, thats why they are making a tutorial in in the 3rd expansion? "more rewards for less gameplay"  ...thats funny for anyone, who can remeber the tarir multi loot exploit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I think adding more tutorials and more ingame tips will not solve anything. 

The combat system isnt rocket science, anyone willing to learn will learn it. But if its not required during gameplay some just dont bother. 

Now in a game with emphasis on player limited player number instance content you can ramp up mechanics gradually each dungeon, raid and players will have to learn to progress. In a game like gw2 where majority plays only story and ow you would need to do it in those modes. And here comes ED meta. 

they said no at max level. thinking that they would accept it earlier is insane.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, battledrone.8315 said:

lol, thats why they are making a tutorial in in the 3rd expansion? "more rewards for less gameplay"  ...thats funny for anyone, who can remeber the tarir multi loot exploit

It's a refresher of the mechanics, probably only the BB being actual tutorial that should have taken place much earlier. But what's your point here? That they're trying to fix the past deficiencies? Same goes for "tarir multi loot". It was a thing until they fixed it and now it rightfully isn't. What point exactly are you making by bringing this up? Fixes to the game shouldn't be a thing? Hard disagree.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

It's a refresher of the mechanics, probably only the BB being actual tutorial that should have taken place much earlier. But what's your point here? That they're trying to fix the past deficiencies? Same goes for "tarir multi loot". It was a thing until they fixed it and now it rightfully isn't. What point exactly are you making by bringing this up? Fixes to the game shouldn't be a thing? Hard disagree.

as you say, the tutorial should had been done way sooner. and if they want to fix the game, they should start with the

insane balancing issues, and the story disconnects. those would be my  priorities

PS tarir went on for about a year AFAIR. way too long for any AAA title.

Edited by battledrone.8315