It Ain't Over Yet, ArenaNet!

So, nice, a lot of people bought their eggs for the Siege Turtle and went sailing off into the events that it requires.

Mind you, I LOOK for events in GW2 open world. I got the currency for the egg in a few days doing the events in Dragon's End, even wandered close to the Meta at one point, and got the heck out of there. But THESE events! Seriously? I was part of a big group taking on the Void-Corrupted Jade Maw, people were doing the mechanic, all the pick-ups were picked up and used... And we failed. I read up on that event, prepared, I have no idea WHY we failed. I went around looking for the other events and nothing was happening. A gesture at testing the Leviathan was all I found, didn't even mark him.

Now I've been in countless open world events. I have the Skyscale, Griffon and Roller Beetle. This is not on that scale. What you've done is forced casual players into the realm of elite players and this really is only going to have one outcome, and it's not going to be good for the game.

You've just released skins for the turtle. I'm curious to see how well they sell. But I submit you need to get some casual players into your playtesting group, because after you advertised the turtle the way you did, you're going to be losing folks due to frustration.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

You failed because the scaling is way off. ~5 people bring it down to 20%, then the rest can run in to contribute, that way many people can get it.

That's great, thank you!

Sad that that happens in an event that only pops up every other hour. And now that the egg can be purchased, a flood of people are out looking for this thing...

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Almaden.6782 said:

So, nice, a lot of people bought their eggs for the Siege Turtle and went sailing off into the events that it requires.

Mind you, I LOOK for events in GW2 open world. I got the currency for the egg in a few days doing the events in Dragon's End, even wandered close to the Meta at one point, and got the heck out of there. But THESE events! Seriously? I was part of a big group taking on the Void-Corrupted Jade Maw, people were doing the mechanic, all the pick-ups were picked up and used... And we failed. I read up on that event, prepared, I have no idea WHY we failed. I went around looking for the other events and nothing was happening. A gesture at testing the Leviathan was all I found, didn't even mark him.

Now I've been in countless open world events. I have the Skyscale, Griffon and Roller Beetle. This is not on that scale. What you've done is forced casual players into the realm of elite players and this really is only going to have one outcome, and it's not going to be good for the game.

You've just released skins for the turtle. I'm curious to see how well they sell. But I submit you need to get some casual players into your playtesting group, because after you advertised the turtle the way you did, you're going to be losing folks due to frustration.

Yes, I probably would have purchased the turtle skin pack.  Only I don't have a turtle yet because I can't be bothered to waste my time on a boring, 2 hour long meta that has failed every single time I've attempted it or the poorly-scaled events like jade maw which can only be completed if you're lucky enough to arrive there before everyone else shows up to scale it into impossibility.

I can't say it seems worth all the trouble.  I haven't even been playing in EoD.  It's just a boring, buggy mess.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Almaden.6782 said:

It sounds like End of Dragons is a choice between super easy and Dark Souls.

Nah, Dark Souls is always fair and depends indeed on your skill alone, also ALWAYS telegraphs perfectly WHAT you have done wrong if you are willing to watch and learn.

Guild Wars 2 lacks in all of this, heavily, everywhere.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

You failed because the scaling is way off. ~5 people bring it down to 20%, then the rest can run in to contribute, that way many people can get it.

THIS!

I did this mission tonight with far fewer players involved, and it was over fairly quickly, successfully. 

It is indeed the scaling, it is indeed way off, and that helps explain the wide difference between the perceptions of the casual players and the raiders.

Hang in there, Casuals!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Almaden.6782 said:

This comment sums it up well: 

Just Soo-Won is "Dark Souls" difficulty lol, everything else isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. We've played through 2 other expansions, and lots of Living World story, so none of that stuff is a surprise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

Just Soo-Won is "Dark Souls" difficulty lol, everything else isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. We've played through 2 other expansions, and lots of Living World story, so none of that stuff is a surprise.

It's the scaling. I tried Tuesday night with a large bunch of people, and it failed. I tried it today with a much smaller group, it was quite a fight (for a casual player), but we won it soon enough. I think it really is the fewer the people, the better. Or at least not a LARGE group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

If Soo-Won was Dark Souls difficulty, you‘d be able to one-shot her with a min-maxxed build.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

It's not. I can execute everything flawlessly and still fail because the 49 others around me were kitten around. This is the core issue of why Soo-Won is such an awful design, not the mechanics (the sequencing however are terrible RNG still with tail + breakbar still happening).

8 hours ago, Almaden.6782 said:

It's the scaling. I tried Tuesday night with a large bunch of people, and it failed. I tried it today with a much smaller group, it was quite a fight (for a casual player), but we won it soon enough. I think it really is the fewer the people, the better. Or at least not a LARGE group.

The fight was definitely tested. What do you think are the odds that the have 15-20 people available to test it compared to 60? :classic_rolleyes:

And then if it's easier and probably shorter because of different scaling some of the RNG nonsense suddenly is a lot less impactful.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Desh.7028 said:

The fight was definitely tested. What do you think are the odds that the have 15-20 people available to test it compared to 60? :classic_rolleyes:

And then if it's easier and probably shorter because of different scaling some of the RNG nonsense suddenly is a lot less impactful.

Of course it was tested, I'm sure ArenaNet would do THAT much. But now it's being tested on a much broader scale, by a wider range of people with more diversity of thought and experience, and a common observation is that the scaling is wrong, that an event with fewer people goes quicker than the same event with many more people of similar skill. This is feedback from multiple customers, and ArenaNet would do well to consider it. And it's not in the realm of "cancel all the strikes and events and make it something you buy." This is looking at a basic mechanic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well, I've tried it a couple of times. This is not going to cut it for casuals. If this remains a requirement, Anet will lose people over the boredom (waiting to get into a mission, waiting to see if the survivors can pull it off) and the frustration.

Bad experiences. Not amused.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1