Stale Runes and Sigils

Henrik.7560

Requesting a proper rework for PvP runes and Sigils.

Almost every build runs energy/cleansing/exposure/exploitation/doom and there's no other decent options apart from a few 5% modifiers, which is really boring, compared to having things like leech+hydro combo, air/fire, etc. Why not just nerf the coefficients a bit instead of turn it into a stale meta of like 10% being good sigils.

As for runes, all the +boon duration or +condi duration ones are nerfed into the point of being awful, because its just simply better to run a rune like divinity that gives a ton of stat points and extra health, and a few other decent ones maybe like fighter, lynx, orr. None of the boon/condi duration ones are worth runningwhich eliminate like 70% of the runes, and the builds are extremely stale and uninteresting to craft. Please look into reworking them thanks.

Edited by Henrik.7560
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

Most dont impact gameplay much at all and need to be buffed honestly.

That's by design though. It's been stated by ANet that they don't want runes or sigils to enable entire new playstyles or dictate balance in PvP. Just slightly enhance your existing build.

Although they said this and left Trapper runes in. So I dunno 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't feel its as big of an issue with Runes. There's a lot of fun to be hd trying stuff there as soon as you allow yourself to move past copy-pasting builds off meta-battle.

But yeah Sigils are pretty stale, its really hard to justify not running cleansing and energy alongside 2 dps sigils.

One i run that i rarely see in guides is Opportunity but its a very playstyle specific one. I also sometimes run Ruthlessness on my Shortbow when i expect a teamfight heavy match as its really easy to proc it on CD with SB4 and 5 free might when i have tons of poison+bleed ticking on 3+ targets generate a lot of value.

Savagery, Inteligence and Separation are all "offmeta" sigils that i commonly use on some builds too.

So there's some room for creativity i guess, but yeah Cleansing and Energy being must haves just limits this a lot.

Edited by Ashgar.3024

11 hours ago, Henrik.7560 said:

Requesting a proper rework for PvP runes and Sigils.

Almost every build runs energy/cleansing/exposure/exploitation/doom and there's no other decent options apart from a few 5% modifiers, which is really boring, compared to having things like leech+hydro combo, air/fire, etc. Why not just nerf the coefficients a bit instead of turn it into a stale meta of like 10% being good sigils.

As for runes, all the +boon duration or +condi duration ones are nerfed into the point of being awful, because its just simply better to run a rune like divinity that gives a ton of stat points and extra health, and a few other decent ones maybe like fighter, lynx, orr. None of the boon/condi duration ones are worth runningwhich eliminate like 70% of the runes, and the builds are extremely stale and uninteresting to craft. Please look into reworking them thanks.

Welcome to the standardized and balanced PvP, where we present you tons of options that are all equally terrible choices! 

2 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Welcome to the standardized and balanced PvP, where we present you tons of options that are all equally terrible choices! 

Honestly that and people just struggle with moving away from the "tried and true" they see in guides.

You know what I would like to see? Here’s my idea of a rework:

Fire sigils that instead of doing damage, inflict burning condition on both you and the foe. Wearing two of them doubles the effect.

Air sigils instead of doing damage, inflict vulnerability on both you and your foe. Wearing two of them doubles the effect. 

Sigil of Exploitation: Convert one of your boons into X healing  for yourself. Stacked boons give you more healing per stack

Sigil of Accuracy: Attacks apply a debuff to the enemy, that increases you and your allies precision

Sigil of Agility: Attacks remove enemy superspeed, and grant them to you instead.

Sigil of Agony: Turns boon on you (swiftness) into torment for your enemy. Wearing more than one of these will turn an additional boon (regeneration) into cripple

Sigil of Smoldering: Turns boon on you (might) into burning for your enemy. Wearing more than one of these will turn an additional boon (fury) into cripple.

Sigil of Battle: Strikes detonate the boon might on you and the foe and turn it into damage. Having two of these converts the might you detonate into healing instead.

Sigil of Benevolence: When you heal an ally, that allies heal jumps to another ally in range. Having more than one of these increases the number of jumps.

Sigil of Blight: Poison no longer does damage, but instead each attack boosts the reduced healing effectiveness effect by an additional 5% per stack. Wearing more than one of these increases the boost. 

…. Should keep going?

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Sigil of Blight: Poison no longer does damage, but instead each attack boosts the reduced healing effectiveness effect by an additional 5% per stack. Wearing more than one of these increases the boost. 

…. Should keep going?

Your first mistake was suggesting something that sounds interesting and unique. Anet doesn't like that. Anet only likes a new word they recently learned: homogenized. Reaching into the mind of the Anet balance team: *AHEM* "If everything is the same, no one will be upset. If everyone can do everything, no one will ask for buffs."

4 hours ago, Lost Elegy.9276 said:

Your first mistake was suggesting something that sounds interesting and unique. Anet doesn't like that. Anet only likes a new word they recently learned: homogenized. Reaching into the mind of the Anet balance team: *AHEM* "If everything is the same, no one will be upset. If everyone can do everything, no one will ask for buffs."

Sadly, I think this is true, and you are right.

based on some of their language in their announcements I feel like this is their current balance philosophy: “standardizing the game for diversity.”

I don’t know how it’s possible…after 3 years of spieling in every post how standardization is the opposite of diversity, that they still maintain and even bolster and reenforce that philosophy.

I think I should just follow your advise and just abandon any hope all together. Hell…it’s been a struggle to convince even regular forum goers about the topic…

6 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Sadly, I think this is true, and you are right.

based on some of their language in their announcements I feel like this is their current balance philosophy: “standardizing the game for diversity.”

I don’t know how it’s possible…after 3 years of spieling in every post how standardization is the opposite of diversity, that they still maintain and even bolster and reenforce that philosophy.

I think I should just follow your advise and just abandon any hope all together. Hell…it’s been a struggle to convince even regular forum goers about the topic…

It's painful. The more you love something, the more you wish it will improve. Anet just doesn't have the same passion for sPvP that a lot of us do. Their attention is on PvE and WvW, something they care much more about. Just as a reminder, sPvP didn't get ANYTHING but a balance patch when EoD hit. We didn't even get a new map so we could ignore most of it to stand inside 3 circles for 10-15 minutes.

We either accept the mode for what it is or spend more energy than its worth yelling into an uncaring void.

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, Lost Elegy.9276 said:

Or they learned from Blizzard/WoW that stacking Mortal Strike effects aren't fun to play agains't and are effectively impossible to balance.

Its the never ending MMO PvP conundrum, the more creative devs allow people to be, specially with things like buildcrafting, the less competitive it becomes as people will just chase the cheesiest strat. 15+ years of WoW Arena proved that over and over again. Hell even succesful esport games like League didn't escape that, specially in its early days.

I'm not saying their approach is right or wrong here, it entirely depends on where they want to steer the game mode. I'm just saying that if you want the game to be a "competitive esport" the current SPvP balance is a direct consequence of that.