The “bugs” are becoming sentient and trying to communicate that we need these Ranger improvements!

Swagger.1459

Edit- So excited! I bet these changes are slated to release in a couple/few months! 

ArenaNet Studio Update: The Future of Guild Wars 2 | GuildWars2.com

Our plan includes quarterly profession updates, with smaller releases in between as we monitor and respond to how the meta in each game mode takes shape. In addition to the number tweaks that you’re used to seeing, the team will be revisiting some underpowered and underused weapon skills, traits, or utilities for each profession in each profession update to help expand your arsenal. We will continue to make game-mode-specific balance adjustments as needed.

...Before I begin, I would like to say that I do not care about DPS. These suggestions are not about DPS. They are mostly QoL ideas to help increase useability of weapons and skills through improved functions.

Now, these are just ideas, not claiming they are perfect. However, those reading really need to consider the intent and "spirit" behind the suggestions. Additionally, I have a preference for WvW, so that's something else to consider if you ask yourselves why I am making certain suggestions. One example of this is the dagger improvements idea... Yes, you can stand toe to toe with a pve champion in pve mode and get big condi deeps... I honestly don't give a crud about that. What I do care about is improving the viability of weapons in modes where you are facing other players. 

On to the suggestions…

Edit- Shame on me for forgetting Ranger Spirits… The current design of Spirits doesn’t lend itself to be useful outside of Raids. So the idea is to change these Spirits into a proven and more viable design called Facets. Ya know, those useful utility skills on Revenant? 

Druid... This idea improves the Staff by adding some Condi and making some impactful weapon skill designs. And importantly, it improves the Celestial Avatar Form in a way to make it less "clunky" and more viable for movement based gameplay such as what is found in WvW. Additionally, it can be made to provide Stability to make it instantly more valuable to groups.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/78819-druid-20-rework-best-one-yet/?do=getNewComment

Soulbeast... Notice the lack of Dagger anything in WvW? Yeah, me too. Daggers are not workable into builds without gimping them one way or another, although they were the main weapon focus of the E-Spec and it was supposed to by a hybrid Condi/Power Espec... LB (2012 weapon)/ GS (2012 weapon) Power Soulbeast is the most efficient and effective build, and it's boring as hell to run the same weapons for 10 years. 10 years... 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/71973-soulbeast-20-rework-youll-love-it-too/?do=getNewComment

Untamed... Utility offerings on hammer are not good at all for WvW play. It needs a minor ranged component and it needs mobility/positioning skills for WvW battlefield activities. 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/110533-unleashed-hammer-suggestions/?do=getNewComment

Condition Builds... There may be some cross over from other suggestions, so areas of note will be Shortbow and Trap suggestions.  

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/26269-condition-builds-20/?do=getNewComment

Main issues with Pets... Thread will lay out the issues and provide some solutions. 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/71204-psa-on-major-pet-issues/?do=getNewComment

QoL Pet acquisition improvement idea from GW1...

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/39072-pet-stables-in-sun%E2%80%99s-refuge-or-purchasable-lounge/?do=getNewComment

Just thought of it... New Pets a bit more often would be fun. Would be cool of the devs to add in a new charmable pet once in a while with future map releases.   

... So there we have some ideas to consider. Again, I don't care about DPS, I care about improved functionality to open up weapon and build options and to bring something extra to teams in WvW play. 

Ty for reading!

Edited by Swagger.1459
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Swagger.1459 said:

Just thought of it... New Pets a bit more often would be fun. Would be cool of the devs to add in a new charmable pets once in a while with future map releases.   

This is a GREAT idea, i don't get why we can not have this while Devs release content maybe update a pet family or two? Specially core pets or better yet maybe give us a new Pet once every year or quarterly if not too much to ask. EVEN a reskin of a pet will do, seriously 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, Swagger.1459 said:

Just thought of it... New Pets a bit more often would be fun. Would be cool of the devs to add in a new charmable pet once in a while with future map releases.   

You mean like they did with the reef drake in Southsun..? Yea that was probably the coolest thing ever. Walking around and seeing a new pet and you had no clue there was one. That little guy became my buddy all the way until HoT where I've now had my smokescale bee my closest companion ever since. 

The biggest thing for our class OVERALL that needs to be done is a full rework on our pets. I honestly feel like they should consolidate some of the pets down to one per family, outside of a few. Like the expansion ones are fine as they are all strong in their own ways; But like take bears for example? why do we have multiple bears when not one is really useful. Roll them together and just keep the brown bear; Make it actually viable in combat and then offer the other bears as skins. Give us a customization window where we can use other pets that are similar for a skin if we don't want to utilize that appearance? Then give the pets more skills. 

Heck let us customize what they adopt from their families? What if I want chilling roar for whatever reason over the fear, or whatever may have you. Since we are tied to the pet then let the pet be customizable just like any other part of our build; Engineers get this in some capacity for their construct? Rework the core pet system. 

Then from there bring in some more beasts that we "Should" be able to tame. Stoneheads, Hydra's, skelks, scales, bats and even some of the more wacky like the chalk? We should be able to bring them into the fray and utilize them. I honestly think its dumb that you limit us to some of the most basic pets; When the models and movesets are already there for other pets? Half if not more of the work is there for you. If you consolidate on some of our pets that we have in the pet window you also remove the clutter, which makes room for these. 

I also think in beastmastery we should have a trait that makes the pet bigger, turns it into its veteran variant in both model and size and gives us those "big" beasts. Maybe ups its power and makes it more powerful? I really don't see an arguement not to do it as again mechanist has similar things it can do for its mech. This then would AGAIN add a layer of customization for our pets; Maybe offer it a sort of special set of abilities while retaining its most Iconic ability. 

I don't know, I love having a pet I just wish I had more control over it. And I dont mean its skills. I mean "IT". As in what it looks like, how it works, what it has and what my companion can offer. Sure keep some things limited to the specific type of pet for sure; Make skins locked to the families and so on but let us control what skills our little buddies have. I also think that there should be no pet that is just straight up not useable. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, anduriell.6280 said:

We barely get new  1 hour content every 4 months at most with living world, I doubts there is additional resources to squeeze an additional minion design in there. 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:45 PM, Swagger.1459 said:

Our plan includes quarterly profession updates, with smaller releases in between as we monitor and respond to how the meta in each game mode takes shape. In addition to the number tweaks that you’re used to seeing, the team will be revisiting some underpowered and underused weapon skills, traits, or utilities for each profession in each profession update to help expand your arsenal. We will continue to make game-mode-specific balance adjustments as needed.

• Like 1

• Swagger.1459 changed the title to "the team will be revisiting some underpowered and underused weapon skills, traits, or utilities"

Think the OP really needs to go visit the "Not so secret anymore" chat channel and suggest his thoughts be implemented by the Balance Developer... of course they might need to time it carefully in between the Dev playing their Firebrand for the 2501th hour and them typing /wiki what is a ranger....

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Swagger.1459 changed the title to Best Ranger improvements inside thread!
On 4/11/2022 at 12:02 AM, Thornwolf.9721 said:

You mean like they did with the reef drake in Southsun..? Yea that was probably the coolest thing ever. Walking around and seeing a new pet and you had no clue there was one. That little guy became my buddy all the way until HoT where I've now had my smokescale bee my closest companion ever since. 

The biggest thing for our class OVERALL that needs to be done is a full rework on our pets. I honestly feel like they should consolidate some of the pets down to one per family, outside of a few. Like the expansion ones are fine as they are all strong in their own ways; But like take bears for example? why do we have multiple bears when not one is really useful. Roll them together and just keep the brown bear; Make it actually viable in combat and then offer the other bears as skins. Give us a customization window where we can use other pets that are similar for a skin if we don't want to utilize that appearance? Then give the pets more skills. 

Heck let us customize what they adopt from their families? What if I want chilling roar for whatever reason over the fear, or whatever may have you. Since we are tied to the pet then let the pet be customizable just like any other part of our build; Engineers get this in some capacity for their construct? Rework the core pet system. 

Then from there bring in some more beasts that we "Should" be able to tame. Stoneheads, Hydra's, skelks, scales, bats and even some of the more wacky like the chalk? We should be able to bring them into the fray and utilize them. I honestly think its dumb that you limit us to some of the most basic pets; When the models and movesets are already there for other pets? Half if not more of the work is there for you. If you consolidate on some of our pets that we have in the pet window you also remove the clutter, which makes room for these. 

I also think in beastmastery we should have a trait that makes the pet bigger, turns it into its veteran variant in both model and size and gives us those "big" beasts. Maybe ups its power and makes it more powerful? I really don't see an arguement not to do it as again mechanist has similar things it can do for its mech. This then would AGAIN add a layer of customization for our pets; Maybe offer it a sort of special set of abilities while retaining its most Iconic ability. 

I don't know, I love having a pet I just wish I had more control over it. And I dont mean its skills. I mean "IT". As in what it looks like, how it works, what it has and what my companion can offer. Sure keep some things limited to the specific type of pet for sure; Make skins locked to the families and so on but let us control what skills our little buddies have. I also think that there should be no pet that is just straight up not useable. 

I really like this idea tbh. Keep pet families unique (feline, canine, bear, birds etc) and make them more like expansion pets in overall performance. Keep their different appearances as "skin" that you can select once you've tamed that version. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 10:45 PM, Swagger.1459 said:

Edit- So excited! I bet these changes are slated to release in a couple/few months! 

...Before I begin, I would like to say that I do not care about DPS. These suggestions are not about DPS. They are mostly QoL ideas to help increase useability of weapons and skills through improved functions.

Now, these are just ideas, not claiming they are perfect. However, those reading really need to consider the intent and "spirit" behind the suggestions. Additionally, I have a preference for WvW, so that's something else to consider if you ask yourselves why I am making certain suggestions. One example of this is the dagger improvements idea... Yes, you can stand toe to toe with a pve champion in pve mode and get big condi deeps... I honestly don't give a crud about that. What I do care about is improving the viability of weapons in modes where you are facing other players. 

On to the suggestions…

Edit- Shame on me for forgetting Ranger Spirits… The current design of Spirits doesn’t lend itself to be useful outside of Raids. So the idea is to change these Spirits into a proven and more viable design called Facets. Ya know, those useful utility skills on Revenant? 

Druid... This idea improves the Staff by adding some Condi and making some impactful weapon skill designs. And importantly, it improves the Celestial Avatar Form in a way to make it less "clunky" and more viable for movement based gameplay such as what is found in WvW. Additionally, it can be made to provide Stability to make it instantly more valuable to groups.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/78819-druid-20-rework-best-one-yet/?do=getNewComment

Soulbeast... Notice the lack of Dagger anything in WvW? Yeah, me too. Daggers are not workable into builds without gimping them one way or another, although they were the main weapon focus of the E-Spec and it was supposed to by a hybrid Condi/Power Espec... LB (2012 weapon)/ GS (2012 weapon) Power Soulbeast is the most efficient and effective build, and it's boring as hell to run the same weapons for 10 years. 10 years... 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/71973-soulbeast-20-rework-youll-love-it-too/?do=getNewComment

Untamed... Utility offerings on hammer are not good at all for WvW play. It needs a minor ranged component and it needs mobility/positioning skills for WvW battlefield activities. 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/110533-unleashed-hammer-suggestions/?do=getNewComment

Condition Builds... There may be some cross over from other suggestions, so areas of note will be Shortbow and Trap suggestions.  

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/26269-condition-builds-20/?do=getNewComment

Main issues with Pets... Thread will lay out the issues and provide some solutions. 

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/71204-psa-on-major-pet-issues/?do=getNewComment

QoL Pet acquisition improvement idea from GW1...

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/39072-pet-stables-in-sun%E2%80%99s-refuge-or-purchasable-lounge/?do=getNewComment

... So there we have some ideas to consider. Again, I don't care about DPS, I care about improved functionality to open up weapon and build options and to bring something extra to teams in WvW play. 

Ty for reading!

I see your point but i think i have a couple things to say.

For druid staff is a decent weapon, notice that its designed to heal and give utility, it has water combos, a very good auto that heals any ally in the laser, movility etc, as for celestial avatar it does its job relatively good, the main issue is that in wvw with zergs running, healing and boons like fb that are areas centered around the pj allwais are much better, if you made celestial similar to fb youd end up with a fb 2 but with a different skin, although id say making maybe one skill or 2 centered arount the pj could help, maybe making a trait that makes spirits work similar to gyros or necro pets, theres options but the main design of avatar and staff shouldnt change too much.

for soulbeast, dagger is kind of a pve or maybe a dueling weapon, i think its main isues are the dead of owp and its lacking dmg, its the most "assasin" kind of ranger, focused on bursting, and while it works on wvw roaming in pve it lacks and owp, instead of this nerf, should have had changes that maintained its huge burst capacities and sineegy with axe 5, lb2, lb5, etc, again maybe a trait for more dmg and less tics while another trait gives less dmg but more tics, so people can choose.

as for untamed, ill say it again, pets, pets traits are separated on nature magic, beastmastery and a couple on untamed, druid pets are more of a pasive secondary thing, while soulbeast should be a lone ranger without pets most of the time, untamed unleash should benefit both pet and ranger, the same dmg reduction or increase we have now but inversed on pet would give a better sinergy, making pet archetipes get diferent unleash skills should be a must, getting all basic pet traits, trait that increases its stats, trait that clones boons to pet, etc, should be on beastmastery, the boon trait is in nature magic now and thus its not usefull for untamed, also making so hammer gets more condi dmg on hammer(mainly making a trait that makes unleash hammer skills create spores out of the ambush skill) would help too.

31 minutes ago, zaswer.5246 said:

For druid staff is a decent weapon, notice that its designed to heal and give utility, it has water combos, a very good auto that heals any ally in the laser, movility etc, as for celestial avatar it does its job relatively good, the main issue is that in wvw with zergs running, healing and boons like fb that are areas centered around the pj allwais are much better, if you made celestial similar to fb youd end up with a fb 2 but with a different skin, although id say making maybe one skill or 2 centered arount the pj could help, maybe making a trait that makes spirits work similar to gyros or necro pets, theres options but the main design of avatar and staff shouldnt change too much.

Druid staff is far from decent. 2 might not as well exist- low healing and low damage, no passing through enemies for damage, your allies need to be in their face to gain an occasional benefit. 1 needs a higher healing coefficient I feel to be useful- you need a target to use it, and then your allies have to be directly in front of you to get the healing. Give us some more benefit for that (decently predictable) behavior. Staff 3 is fine. Staff 5 is only good because of the water field- staff 5 needs to be bigger in size for it to be useful, maybe have the water field be smaller in size if they're worried about it. Staff 4 needs either more damage, a faster cast or travel time, or longer immob to be super useful, as it doesnt tend to be too impactful since you can just cleanse it off. I'd prefer the travel time, at least let us staff 4->punish to try and do something before they can cleanse the immob.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 3:12 PM, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Druid staff is far from decent. 2 might not as well exist- low healing and low damage, no passing through enemies for damage, your allies need to be in their face to gain an occasional benefit. 1 needs a higher healing coefficient I feel to be useful- you need a target to use it, and then your allies have to be directly in front of you to get the healing. Give us some more benefit for that (decently predictable) behavior. Staff 3 is fine. Staff 5 is only good because of the water field- staff 5 needs to be bigger in size for it to be useful, maybe have the water field be smaller in size if they're worried about it. Staff 4 needs either more damage, a faster cast or travel time, or longer immob to be super useful, as it doesnt tend to be too impactful since you can just cleanse it off. I'd prefer the travel time, at least let us staff 4->punish to try and do something before they can cleanse the immob.

about staff 2, yeah you could put another skill there, although in raid encounters where you are melee its decent, for 3 and 5, i dont realy know what 5 does out of the water field, but if you wanted to give it more utility making it similar to guardian staff 5 would be a huge help in wvw, aout of that dunno, 3 is fine in my opinion, finisher, movility and little more but still a good skill, and for 4, i think its a pretty good skill, in raid it makes so you not need entangle if you know how to play it, in wvw can help with entangling enemies and chip them from their group, and for pvp i dunno, its not the best cc but o think its a good utility, if anithing id give it maybe bleed or some kind of more dmg but in the end i dont see it being that bad

also i think elite specs should be that specializations, a druid, as far as this game goes, should have utility and heal, and as little dmg as possible, while untamed and sb should have more dmg and less utility and healing options, itd be easyer to balance and while many people surely complains i think with the variety we already have its enought, noone wants a build that has everything but finds no spot on groups because its better to have a specialiced class.

4 minutes ago, zaswer.5246 said:

about staff 2, yeah you could put another skill there, although in raid encounters where you are melee its decent, for 3 and 5, i dont realy know what 5 does out of the water field, but if you wanted to give it more utility making it similar to guardian staff 5 would be a huge help in wvw, aout of that dunno, 3 is fine in my opinion, finisher, movility and little more but still a good skill, and for 4, i think its a pretty good skill, in raid it makes so you not need entangle if you know how to play it, in wvw can help with entangling enemies and chip them from their group, and for pvp i dunno, its not the best cc but o think its a good utility, if anithing id give it maybe bleed or some kind of more dmg but in the end i dont see it being that bad

Staff 2 isn't decent though. It's just bad. Staff 5 is a projectile cconverter, it makes small healing projectiles. Its too small. Staff 4 isn't in a great place either, as you have little you can do with it if the opponent is remotely aware of the fact that ranger has a lot of immobs.

Staff needs either buffs or a rework.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 3:36 PM, Andy.5981 said:

Think the OP really needs to go visit the "Not so secret anymore" chat channel and suggest his thoughts be implemented by the Balance Developer... of course they might need to time it carefully in between the Dev playing their Firebrand for the 2501th hour and them typing /wiki what is a ranger....

Where is this “not so secret anymore” place?

• Swagger.1459 changed the title to The “bugs” are becoming sentient and trying to communicate that we need these Ranger improvements!