The reason untamed "sucks"

NorthernRedStar.3054

On 9/25/2022 at 6:54 AM, Mell.4873 said:

My understanding is we were just talking about Open World. Instanced content requires alot more fine tuning and very specific builds. Which currently the Ranger has almost 0, except Soulbeast but arguably its pretty bad in any 5 man instance and does okay in Strikes (not great). 

Ranger really offers very little to team based content with almost no boons. The damage is to tied up in complex rotation that if interrupted mean 0 damage. 

Idk about you but i play my Untamed in t4s, recs,  strikes, and whatever i can find fun people to play with. My gear build and stats may be a bit different given i dont have a huge value in dps as long as i do ok damage and dont die if mob looks at me is enough is my logic. By gear difference is i mean my longbow and hammer set up isnt a normal set up. However i enjoy playing it and given i have aspergers its tough to break me from something i enjoy lol.

Edited by Kaenaydar.5631
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kaenaydar.5631 said:

Idk about you but i play my Untamed in t4s, recs,  strikes, and whatever i can find fun people to play with. My gear build and stats may be a bit different given i dont have a huge value in dps as long as i do ok damage and dont die if mob looks at me is enough is my logic. By gear difference is i mean my longbow and hammer set up isnt a normal set up. However i enjoy playing it and given i have aspergers its tough to break me from something i enjoy lol.

I mean you prove my point which I'm in agreement with that it is fine and I have once upon a time I played Ranger in all End-game Instanced content. At a certain point I wanted to play something better so Mesmer was my choice.

Ranger though is still amazing, Soulbeast is a bit of an (L2P) issue but honestly the 1 time out of 10 you mess up you are dead while Untamed you spend your time trying to squeeze out damage rather than avoiding it.

Edited by Mell.4873

Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere earlier, but really the one thing that kinda irks me about the class is having to swap from unleashed ranger, to unleashing my pet, back to unleashing myself to regain access to unleashed ambush skills.

It just feels really clunky initially. I figure the point was to allow more control over whether you use your default attack versus the unleashed ambush version, but at the same time it just feels like if that was the case, it should have been assigned to a profession skill slot instead. I'd definitely like to not have to swap modes twice just to use what's replaced my auto-attack. Just seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I've just started messing with it and therefore barely have any playtime on it, and haven't unlocked all the traits yet.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, flaccidbagel.2457 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere earlier, but really the one thing that kinda irks me about the class is having to swap from unleashed ranger, to unleashing my pet, back to unleashing myself to regain access to unleashed ambush skills.

It just feels really clunky initially. I figure the point was to allow more control over whether you use your default attack versus the unleashed ambush version, but at the same time it just feels like if that was the case, it should have been assigned to a profession skill slot instead. I'd definitely like to not have to swap modes twice just to use what's replaced my auto-attack. Just seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I've just started messing with it and therefore barely have any playtime on it, and haven't unlocked all the traits yet.

It can be annoying especially when you miss one of your Cantraps Boon on either Unleash. If you use the Hammer this is doubly bad since you want to use skill 3, 5 not-Unleashed with Fervent Force and 2, 4  Unleashed when the enemy in stunned. 

So you have two competing uses and sometimes you unleash yourself only to die since you lost your damage resistance. 

This all might sound bad but honestly it just means there is more to learn. I have had tones of fun in WvW stomping around with it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 1:21 AM, flaccidbagel.2457 said:

I can agree there i kinda put the elite buff and f5 on my mouse. Made my weapon change clicking the mouse wheel lol. my reactions can be a bit slow given i click skills alot so i wont get confused however the mouse taking a few of my important stuff helps a lot.

Edited by Kaenaydar.5631