Everything got so much harder after 80.

11 minutes ago, Zil.3071 said:

same my point. not stack more def stat. solo meta builds not raid with support. for example a condi virto, alac mech and a scourge......u dont focus on def and lose dps lol.....u just facetank most champ with full dps rotation. those builds are soo high dps with sustain into its dps rotation.......lol of course power chro die its not sustainable solo on champ. the point is the right build with high dmg and sustain synergy in its rotation and traits. done bye. 

Okay. Fine.  If you're playing overtuned builds that can facetank in glass stats, I guess you're right.  Most builds can't do that,  however. In that case it's not so simple as "always take as much damage as possible".

• Like 1

1.  Runes play a BIG part in your overall stats.  Get a set of six matching Superior Runes and put them in your gear.  For a budget set, try Superior Rune of Vamperism.  They are running about 17 silver each on the TP, give you 175 power, 100 vitality and an extra 10% health when you have 6 of them slotted (1 in each armor piece).

2.  HoT is really meant to be 'group' content.  Everything on those maps is really meant to be done by groups of people, not solo.  Though, once you get more familiar with stuff, you will be able to do SOME of it solo, bu not all.  HoT is a big step up from core, PoF is actually, IMO, easier than HoT, but is still a decent step up from core AND it came after HoT and LWS3 (meaning many players already were experienced with somewhat more difficult content). 

3.  HoT maps are not exactly straight forward to navigate around.  Tangled Depths is still considered one of the most difficult to navigate maps.  And, it is, until you learn your way around.  And then it is easy to get where you want to go. 

4.  Hero Points.  Core Hero Challenges only award 1 point per.  Expansion Hero Challenges (HoT, PoF, and EoD too) all award 10 points per.  So, while 250 points seems like a lot, it really isn't that bad.  I had enough extra on all of my toons (except for one or two that I forgot to finish) to actually instantly unlock all of the EoD elite specs on launch day, and that was with the HoT and PoF specs already unlocked.  My advice is look in the LFG for a hero point train.  Hop in and run with them.  There are groups that do them daily.  I actually saw one announced in Divinity's Reach map chat last night.

5.  Lastly, ask for help in map chat.  If you are stuck, or lost, or just need help with a hero challenge, ask for help in map chat.  The hero challenges that are fights give rewards once a day for completing them to people that already have them completed, so there is an incentive - outside of the generally helpful nature of this community - to come help you with them. 

• Like 3

I would use something like this if you still want to use shouts, but this lacks condi cleans. This build is made to have your pet tank while you range from far or close as long as argo is on the per. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAweNlZwAZhsNGKWqPer/Sk7UA-zRIYR09PGNTgKVg6B-e. I don't really like pets, so if you want to go for a DPS class, you should get the hero points and upgrade SoulBeast (slb) since the dps is a lot higher and it his a high survivability.

Edited by Esclfowne.3472
  • Like 1

To be honest, I had the same sentiment ... further content being quite a bit more challenging. But the gist for me was - as stated more than once above ... do some research on your class and get a good build. I play an elementalist and had hardly any clue as why changing attunements was beneficial (the old WoW-thing maybe). Well, I changed that ... learned to effectively switch between attunements. But ... that helped a bit but still kept me at low damage output -> check your build, finetune your build for your playstyle and the difference will be significant. I had pumped everything into vitality and condition damage. But actually, it needs to be a lot more balanced ...

And now, if I'm doing some content which keeps killing me, I just go back and see why this happens. The nice thing about GW2 is that e.g. you don't loose your progression on a boss which gives you the opportunity to reflect on what went wrong and adjust. I really love this feature.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 1:46 AM, Muffin.5208 said:

I have worked my way up to lvl 80 and started doing quests and stuff in the Crystal Oasis and some in the Jungle. Haven't bought the new expansion yet.
I bought the 2 expansion package not to long ago.
But I noticed how much harder things got in the new zones. I never did any of the lvl 80 zones from the very first expansion, I jumped straight into the story line of Path of Fire to get the mount.

I guess i'm just a bit to much of a casual and a noob still, but i'm almost losing interest because things feel so much harder and I feel a bit lost how to get all these Mastery points.  And some of them are SO hard to get.

I went and bought some new gear (im a ranger). That made it a tiny bit easier. But still, it makes me a bit sad that it became that much harder suddenly. Oh well, I guess I have to keep practicing 🙂 

You can add me and i can assist you

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 11:37 AM, Dante.1508 said:

I can attest for the soulbeast builds here. I would however go for the 2nd SB build but change it to 331 in soulbeast and 333 in beastmastery.

The change in the soulbeast tree is because it adds a very useful survival ability at almost no DPS loss (I tested it, it's at most a 2-3% DPS loss, but you gain automatic death prevention on 1-shots combined with a heal on a fairly short cool down, which is huge for survival).

And the change in beastmastery is twofold... You only want to have the taunt to trigger Twice as Vicious passive, which will only improve your damage if you time your beast skill correctly with shortbow 5 (i.e. alternate between them every 10 seconds). So if the fight doesn't last that long, or you just ignore this mechanic, you're better off with more ferocity. This also simplifies your rotation into a game of whack-a-mole.

Also, if that's not enough for you to stay alive, you can go for celestial gear, and it should still do good damage (not tested personally, but you get more power damage and more boon uptime, which should mostly make up for the loss of some condi damage), while buffing your HP, toughness and healing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sindust.7059 said:

I can attest for the soulbeast builds here. I would however go for the 2nd SB build but change it to 331 in soulbeast and 333 in beastmastery.

The change in the soulbeast tree is because it adds a very useful survival ability at almost no DPS loss (I tested it, it's at most a 2-3% DPS loss, but you gain automatic death prevention on 1-shots combined with a heal on a fairly short cool down, which is huge for survival).

And the change in beastmastery is twofold... You only want to have the taunt to trigger Twice as Vicious passive, which will only improve your damage if you time your beast skill correctly with shortbow 5 (i.e. alternate between them every 10 seconds). So if the fight doesn't last that long, or you just ignore this mechanic, you're better off with more ferocity. This also simplifies your rotation into a game of whack-a-mole.

Also, if that's not enough for you to stay alive, you can go for celestial gear, and it should still do good damage (not tested personally, but you get more power damage and more boon uptime, which should mostly make up for the loss of some condi damage), while buffing your HP, toughness and healing.

I'm currently using the Untamed build with one change myself and its actually doing very well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Get an elite spec and make sure all of your gear, including trinkets and rings and such, are exotic quality and share similar stats. Don't go jack of all trades (if you do, get celestial gear though it's quite expensive and not really worth it unless you're a specific build). Get stuff that enhances whatever you do.

Side note: toughness also increases aggro from enemies. Not exactly sure how this works with the ranger but I assume if you have a lot of toughness the enemies will target you over your pet

I don't want to jump into the same rabbit hole as L2P but what I found after raiding for many many years in games like WoW ... this is a lot more dynamic. Once you get into newer content, it does get more difficult. And, to be honest, at first I felt the same way ... why do I keep on dying on the same boss over and over again ... I try not to stand in the fire. But yeah, some mechanics are a lot more complicated than that. And thank God for YT at times 😛

And, to be honest again, your build is important, but even more important is to learn how to weave your abilities (in combination with a build you like). Once I got that one ironed out (read: got this into my pea-brain 🙂 ), it became a lot more "easy".

Long story short -> experiment ...

Edited by Keehra.4621