Leviathan farm needs a nerf

2 minutes ago, Hesione.9412 said:

An option, in addition to retaining map activity buffs, is to nerf the number of players needed to kill a leviathan. Let it be 5-players. If only 5 people can over-fish, then 5 people should be able to kill the resulting leviathan.

This should hopefully reduce the number of closing maps, as it won't need a lot of players to enter a map to kill the leviathan. It also enables the people fishing to be the ones that killed it.

I don't really understand the map closures anyway? isn't the design to stop lag or something, the maps close so fast i'm switching maps 20 times a day and i'm not joking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dante.1508 said:

I don't really understand the map closures anyway? isn't the design to stop lag or something, the maps close so fast i'm switching maps 20 times a day and i'm not joking.

That is a really good question. I've been in four chain-closing Kaineng maps in an hour. That is beyond ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The way the event is being farmed definitely feels unintended to me.  If it is indeed true that the map metas are having issues progressing due to the amount of players only interested in killing the leviathan and moving on, it is something that the devs will need to fix sooner rather than later.  Not everyone joins meta trains to do map events, so i can see these people being left behind.  As for the Fishers pissed off over it for forced inconvenient map switches resetting stacks, leviathan just aggravates an already existing problem further.  The real issue is devaluing the latest game mode.

I get it that people are loving how much profit this farm has increased their gen 3 legendary flipping for now, but these people aren't the only group playing the game, there are other audiences who anet monetizes, and fishers are one of them now.  Ambergris is the only real gold income for time invested in fishing.  Some people enjoy having something more casual to do in game that doesn't require 100% of their attention.  While before they may not have even logged in, they now are able to do something and engage socially.  The profit isn't huge, but it was at least something back for your time played at an appropriate rate for the effort put in.  If it becomes too worthless of an activity, it will likely impact the amount of people willing to buy fishing related skins on the gem store.

As others pointed out, the map meta only gave you ambergris once a day, it seems its an intended supply bottle neck to force people to pursue fishing (or buy off the TP) if they wanted Ambergris.  Since this map hopping farm got traction, supply of Ambergris has increased by 50-60% and its only going to balloon higher.  Prior to this, supply and price were relatively stable once the achievement hunters got through their fishing rewards

Edited by neven.3785
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

This should hopefully reduce the number of closing maps, as it won't need a lot of players to enter a map to kill the leviathan. It also enables the people fishing to be the ones that killed it.

Then they'll still lose all their stacks unless you think it can be killed in under 12 seconds.

5 people with depth charges should be able to do it now since the Seitung leviathan is much easier than the new kaineng one. Get rid of the Thick Skin stacks then ride on its head while attacking with your land skills

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Then they'll still lose all their stacks unless you think it can be killed in under 12 seconds.

5 people with depth charges should be able to do it now since the Seitung leviathan is much easier than the new kaineng one. Get rid of the Thick Skin stacks then ride on its head while attacking with your land skills

Forgot about that. The stack system should be: if you stay on the map, and fish within the next 15 mins, you retain your stacks. Some pools of water have few fish and you lose your stacks going to another pool that has the same type of fish. I'm thinking mainly of Ascalon and lake fish, but also works for grotto fish and Echovald.

Alternative: get rid of the leviathan and have people get their drops for their prof weapon a different way.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hesione.9412 said:

I'm thinking mainly of Ascalon and lake fish

You can swap lakes without losing stacks at least in Ashford and with a SSD anyway. Ascalon Basin needs a few more nodes ...

19 minutes ago, Hesione.9412 said:

Alternative: get rid of the leviathan and have people get their drops for their prof weapon a different way.

it is also required for the turtle unlock

Edited by Khisanth.2948