some old clips for nostalgia

ellesee.8297

hello frands, former #1 engi NA and world first rank 80 here

as we all know, pvp in this game died way back in 2015 when 30 10 0 20 10 builds went away in favor of 3 lines. here are some old clips from mostly before that time for your viewing pleasure. have a nice day and play lost ark.

have a nice day friends

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Swagg.9236 said:

I'd argue the game died when anet decided it was a better idea to throw money down a pit to bribe ESL into a handful of pity seasons rather than actually make a dynamic game.  That or maybe the condition stack update.

Some of those people would say that was the "peak" of gw2.

Rose-tinted glasses aside, the meta back then was about as shallow as it is now, and the proof is in how those same people continue to hold on to the absolute c r u s t i e s t and most faded of glories earned at a time before most people currently even looking at GW2 even played the game. 

Imagine flaunting a trophy earned in 2014 when the game plays so differently now that whatever "skills" developed then are just barely applicable anymore (or entirely irrelevant).  That was always GW2's biggest flaw:  it has no patch-to-patch continuity; changes (even somewhat minute ones in big enough volume) often hit so hard that people will abandon entire builds or be forced to take certain hard counters to address what a new set of damage rotations can suddenly do.  There's no universal skill floor by which people can base their experiences and development with the game; it's just a bunch of old fogies all respectively stuck in their own shards of time saying how "Oh, 2014 was peak because X and Y" or "Late-HoT was the best because A and B."

If you can't stretch a continuity across the game collectively, then where are the skill floor and ceiling supposed to even be with respect to each other?  How does anybody know what the peak is even supposed to be?  It's the peak because anet bought its way into ESL for just long enough for it to look really silly when the league suddenly died with no promised future?  Heavens above, Team Fortress 2 had a player-funded prize pool league which lasted 3 times as long as GW2 ESL lmao

Edited by Swagg.9236
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ellesee.8297 said:

pvp in this game died way back in 2015 when 30 10 0 20 10 builds went away in favor of 3 lines

VeeWee being nostalgic and playing my 2 most favorite specs at the time... core Mesmer (main) and core Engie (provider of constant laffs)

I got tips playing engie from Ostrich Eggs when he was sober and remember throwing my self at him just so I could see the Phoenix finisher (pvp was simple back then and that finisher satisfied my craving from visual sensory deprivation) Now it's a clown fiesta and the visuals are a hindrance TBH. Everyone and their grandmas are walking Phoenix finishers outside the matches. 

Your vids made my day. That Toker image!!! Always appreciated your humor and frandlinezz. 

I'll admit...absolutely nothing in this mode made me happy more than playing core engie on the first iteration of Skyhammer. I'm sure you know what I'm referencing to. 

You nailed it with the regression when they switched to the 3 trait line system. 

Edited by greedywholesome.9081
  • Confused 1