Gem store rotation is too slow

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You can also use the forum search feature to read the many previous threads on this very topic.

I know this is a common sentiment, and I agree with it, but have you tried searching for relevant threads? I just did "gem store rotation" and found this thread and one more non-related gem store thread, and the rest were not even close to this topic. I looked through 3 pages. How much effort should one spend before giving up? What does "ice brood mastery points" have to do with it?

On-topic: I agree. It is mildly frustrating, or worse, when you're waiting for something to rotate through. I understand the limits, and the marketing reasons, but it doesn't make the wait any better. I often wonder how many people give up, such that Anet could have sold something had it been in the store? I'm waiting on a minor cosmetic, and by the time it shows up again I may have lost interest.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

That's very much on purpose. It's to make you impulse buy things you never would because of FOMO and anticipation. It's how they squeeze money out of people. Working as intended.

That works in games with actual new things people want constantly. This game adds gem store items at a snails pace.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

As the Game Director (at the time) stated, the Gem Store can only display so many items at one time.  So, that's an additional reason. 

Lol seriously? That's a sad excuse. Basically one of those "hope people don't understand how software engineering works" excuses. We aren't computing on a Commodore 64 anymore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

A way for players to influence this would be to not buy from the gemstore. For a while at least. Force Anet to scramble to find combinations of goods that players are interested in. 

I have a gems card sitting in front of me, with nothing to spend it on. I already have too many weapon skins, outfits, gliders, backpacks, tools, mounts -- more than I could ever use. I would like a certain back item, since I came up with a good look for it (okay...want to copy someone else...) but otherwise want things that add to my account: shared slots, convenience items, storage space, something new (butler to gather home instance 😜). So not "boycotting" but nothing of interest offered.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I have a gems card sitting in front of me, with nothing to spend it on. I already have too many weapon skins, outfits, gliders, backpacks, tools, mounts -- more than I could ever use. I would like a certain back item, since I came up with a good look for it (okay...want to copy someone else...) but otherwise want things that add to my account: shared slots, convenience items, storage space, something new (butler to gather home instance 😜). So not "boycotting" but nothing of interest offered.

Understood.

To be clear I didnt originally think of it as a boycott but I guess that is what it works out to be, or at least close enough for the distinction to be meaningless. I just figure that if gemstore sales volume slows down enough ANet will need to increase rotation.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

That works in games with actual new things people want constantly. This game adds gem store items at a snails pace.

Well if it were up to me, i'd have all the stock available all the time, skip buying gems and just buy the things with normal cash (denote the price in USD or EUR) so you could directly buy what you want for exactly how much it costs.

But we don't live in that world, and if after the latest debacle, and the Dragon's End debacle before that you're still convinced Anet is going to listen to jack kitten from the community, well, good luck to you. 

This works for them and they won't change it. The snail's pace makes people want something more and more and when they get it, it's an instant buy. If what they want was available all the time, people would be like "well not right now, it's here i can buy it later", and potentially never buy the thing. When it's not available constantly, and for a long time, having it available makes it so much more "worth it" - even though it's not in reality.

This and more psychological manipulation tactics have been engrained in gaming since first Horse armor DLC, and because no one bat an eye and ran every company that tried this to the ground financially - now it's everywhere.

See Diablo Immortal for the latest in manipulation techniques. They wrote the book on it. Anet is mild in comparison.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Lol seriously? That's a sad excuse. Basically one of those "hope people don't understand how software engineering works" excuses. We aren't computing on a Commodore 64 anymore.

I must admit that I'm confused why people continue to play games where they are convinced the Devs are prevaricators.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, you think Mo was lying, with no apparent reason to think so?

No apparent reason? No.

Display some things on one page, other things on another page. To break it up even more, you can split things into more categories. "Can only display so many things at one time" means nothing on its own. That's what pages are for.

The same can be said for design, if it was meant to be a design excuse rather than a technical one.

So either you are misremembering a statement that conveyed something very different, or a BS excuse was given (whether intentionally or accidentally). It's possible that the gem store as it is implemented is a pile of refuse on the backend and that's what they were making an excuse for, but in general, it is an excuse that makes no sense.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I know this is a common sentiment, and I agree with it, but have you tried searching for relevant threads? I just did "gem store rotation" and found this thread and one more non-related gem store thread, and the rest were not even close to this topic. I looked through 3 pages. How much effort should one spend before giving up? What does "ice brood mastery points" have to do with it?

On-topic: I agree. It is mildly frustrating, or worse, when you're waiting for something to rotate through. I understand the limits, and the marketing reasons, but it doesn't make the wait any better. I often wonder how many people give up, such that Anet could have sold something had it been in the store? I'm waiting on a minor cosmetic, and by the time it shows up again I may have lost interest.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/search/?q=rotation&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=11&search_in=titles

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1