Giving This Game A Fair Chance, I Am Shocked.

I bought this game back in 2012 when it first came out and gave up shortly after reaching level 80. I don't remember why but must not have clicked with me at the time.

Decided to come back this week and currently a level 40 guardian slowly working my way through the content and I am shocked. The game is fantastic.

After watching quite a number of reviews on YouTube people kept talking about how the game looks dated and I have to disagree, the art style has aged really well. The design of the game is tasteful and the areas look great.

The little interaction with other players has been positive. The first dungeon experience people were understanding that I was on the floor most of it and explained most things. Had people randomly message me asking if I was new and if I needed some food to give an xp boost etc.

By far the number one thing I love is how much this game respects your time. I don't have to worry about doing anything specific like in other MMO's to keep up with the masses. I can do what I feel like without worrying I am falling behind in some gear treadmill or missing out on any specific content. The design is spot on for someone like myself who is an older MMO gamer without as much time to sink into games anymore.

Really glad to have found this game and hope it continues it's success. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, solado.8206 said:

By far the number one thing I love is how much this game respects your time. I don't have to worry about doing anything specific like in other MMO's to keep up with the masses. I can do what I feel like without worrying I am falling behind in some gear treadmill or missing out on any specific content. The design is spot on for someone like myself who is an older MMO gamer without as much time to sink into games anymore.

This is one of the big reasons I got into this game and have stuck with it. I do play another MMO as well but I often feel like I'm playing it in spite of the game's design and the developers intentions - like I'm not really the kind of player they want because I can't meet the schedule that's expected of me and I miss out on a lot of things as a result (and would do even if it was my only MMO).

I've never felt that way with GW2. There are certainly things which take me a long time to do, including taking longer than it does for other players but I won't fall behind or lose progress in anything I'm working on if I don't do it often enough, or even if I stop playing for a while. When I am online I can focus on what I feel like doing rather than what I need to do to keep up or be permitted into the areas of the game I want to play.

It's little things, like the login rewards pausing instead of resetting or skipping an item if you miss a day, but it adds up to a more enjoyable game.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Like OP, I had dropped off an played other games after completing the original game.  I think the main reason is at that point, there wasn't any new content (and when LWS1 started showing up, having to log in and play at a specific time wasn't something I wanted to do.)  Best equipment was exotic, with then a major jump to legendary.  And I didn't feel like replaying the main story so shortly after completing it.

Since then, a lot more content has been added, ascended weapons, and other things to add some goals.

One thing I also did when I rejoined a few years after the release is joined a guild - that also added more multiplayer options (fractals, dungeons, strikes, etc).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The reason why i come and love this game was gw1 and the New fight mechanics in gw2. The reason I hate gw2 in its actually state is the balance. Its litterly 2 classes that are meta for years (guard/necr) they see buffs no nerfs and anet decided to nerf the Overall Bad builds. How ever the fight mechanics are the reason why i still stay to the game. (Also its fashion wars ^_^). Also some good work for pve in Form of decent Art style maps. However the other modis dont see many Support. (WvW will get Allianz system/PvP get some balance updates but those do nothing after all/ Raids are the same for years now) So letz say GW2 is not support the endgame content but doing many things for pve casual stuff like New maps/story/gemshop items. So the List would be like:

1. Good stuff

-New beautyfull maps

-New strike Missions from time to time

-great and big Story

2. Bad stuff in my eyes

-Overall slow balance patches (also one sided mostly)

-Near no support when it comes to endgame content

- Near no support for pvp/wvw

So all in all gw2 is a casual friendly game and i like that Overall how ever at least a bit love to other things than open World pve and gemshop items would be decent 😀

• Sad 1

On 7/9/2022 at 4:31 AM, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Welcome back, hope you continue to enjoy to enjoy the game.

I suppose you're largely correct regarding the "respecting your time" aspect of Guild Wars 2, though its not perfect.  Sometimes the time-gating can be a bit much. 

There is no monthly sub so it's not a big deal at all, for the very few things like that, like skyscale. It's fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

There is no monthly sub so it's not a big deal at all, for the very few things like that, like skyscale. It's fine. 

I did skyscale early on before they started nerfing the timegating for its collection, so I'd say even that's passable.  Personally its the little stuff, like some of the regular ascended crafting that bothers me in regards to timegating.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I did skyscale early on before they started nerfing the timegating for its collection, so I'd say even that's passable.  Personally its the little stuff, like some of the regular ascended crafting that bothers me in regards to timegating.

I suppose it also depends on what's meant by 'respecting your time'. I only have limited time to play and often have days (or weeks) when I couldn't log in even if I wanted to so for me respecting my time means letting me do things a bit at a time, as and when I can and feel like it without losing progress or getting locked out of things because I took too long. So things like the skyscale time-gating are a non-issue for me. I think there was one point when I was aware I couldn't do more of it that day but it happened when I was ready to stop anyway. The other times I wouldn't have known there was a timegate if I hadn't been told.

Whereas I can see how for someone who has several hours to play in one day and expects to be able to spend the entire time working on one thing something like that would be annoying.

But before I discovered GW1 I'd given up on MMOs because in all the ones I knew of you could only really get anywhere by committing several hours at a time on a regular basis (ideally at least 2-3 nights a week) to play with a group and that's never been an option for me. Whereas in GW1 and GW2 I can play a little bit at a time, on my own or with anyone who happens to be doing the same activities and I can complete pretty much everything. Likewise if I'm away for a week or a few months or a couple of years I won't have missed out on anything I can't get later on and don't have to rush to catch up before I can play with other people.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Yeah, I can see that, but the trick is to craft those mats every day so you'll have em when you need em

• Like 1