Which server is the most active to join?

Doom.8307

31 minutes ago, Doom.8307 said:

Hi I will be checking the game out. Which server is best to join?

Which World/server or shard you pick does only matter if you plan to play WvW (open world PvP).

You can only join world which isn't full which is those that are marked in red.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#Currently_linked_worlds

We would also need to know if you are on a NA or EU server to help you find which world that you can join. For PvE this matter more as you can play with EU, if you are on NA, but you will have probably problems with how different time zone and change in population; if people play during day time in EU and it is night in NA you will have a harder time to find other player to do things with when you live in the other part of world.

You would probably get more response if you had posted in WvW section of this forum or look there for what kind of Worlds that are active from the way people post in that section.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/forum/23-world-vs-world/

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 3

Like others said, server choice only matters for wvw.   What I recommend is:

1. choose any server available now.
  2. Find a guild and join it.  Guilds can have members from any server. 
  3. If the guild is into wvw, and you're 100% sure this guild is absolutely "the one", and you want to wvw with guildies, then put in a server transfer to whatever server the majority of them are on. 

EDIT: don't remember if there was a queue option in gw2.  But if you are transfering to a full server be prepared to wait a long time.

Edited by EmmetOtter.8542
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, EmmetOtter.8542 said:

3. If the guild is into wvw, and you're 100% sure this guild is absolutely "the one", and you want to wvw with guildies, then put in a server transfer to whatever server the majority of them are on. 

Server transfers to full servers are possible but your transfer request gets put in a queue and you have to wait  for an opening.  I waited around a month before my transfer to Tarnished Coast went through.

Might be important to mention that server transfers aren't free and will cost @Doom.8307 some Gems.

From GW2 wiki:

Transferring

To transfer to a different world, go to the character selection screen (using F12 or when you first log in) and select the desired world; you will be logged out while the game makes these changes, which might take 5-30 minutes. You can transfer once every seven days at a cost determined by the destination world population. Free accounts cannot transfer to different worlds. Given the WvW restrictions below, there is almost no conceivable reason to transfer realms, and support cannot help you or refund your realm transfer. Proceed with caution.

Players who transfer will not earn pips in WvW until two WvW resets have occurred following your transfer (a maximum of just under 14 days, a minimum of just over 7). There is no other penalty.

Standard transfer fees

Please be aware of the following:

1. Transfers to any game world — whether free or paid for with gems — are allowed only if the population of the world is at less than capacity.
  2. Transfers to any game world — whether free or paid for with gems — are allowed only once per seven days.
  3. You cannot delete all your characters to get a free transfer. [1]

Source: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World

At same time I would also point out to @Doom.8307that right now we have an event for WvW Beta Restructuring: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-world-restructuring-beta-4-begins-on-august-12/

This means if it will be going to be the default state for how WvW work in the future that you will not be depending as much on which World you join as that it is more depending where the Guild (which as for now are limited to which World they have been created on) you join have their base. If you want to know more about WvW Beta Restructuring and Alliances then read GW2 wiki and search WvW section on this forum where it have been discussed for a very long time.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, EmmetOtter.8542 said:

Server transfers to full servers are possible but your transfer request gets put in a queue and you have to wait  for an opening.  I waited around a month before my transfer to Tarnished Coast went through.

Oh I dident know there was a que system for transfers.

There may not be a queue.  I may have confused gw2 with another game on the queue.  It may be as simple as logging in everyday and checking world selection and seeing if transfer was finally available.

It's been 2 years since I last transfered.  I do remember it taking a VERY long time (month +) before I could actually do it.  And it does have a cost for the transfer.

Edited by EmmetOtter.8542