Can you link your existing account to Steam if you pay for the game again?

It doesn't happen often, but I suppose if Steam has a server hiccup, nobody using Steam to play Gw2 can play with their account either, so I think that's not necessarily a bad thing to keep things seperate.

More to the point though, there are reasons, both legal and technical as to why linking pre-existing accounts to Steam is more trouble than it's worth.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, psyt.9415 said:

Cronos has the way of it. If you download Steamedit and delete the flag -providerissteam from the launch argument line it will launch from Steam with your old account. Its the same thing folks that bought FFXIV retail accounts have to do to get it to run on Steam. They aren't enabling all old accounts on Steam and having their whole player base have 30% revenue skimmed off every gem purchase. Its convenient for us but thats alot of revenue to give up for them lol. This fix does the same thing anyway. Very easy to do with Steam edit just delete the line and hit save.

No need for external software at all 😛

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 2:43 AM, Freya.9075 said:

As a steam player I’m glad they don’t allow linking accounts to it. Anet would lose a lot of money, and would have to make up for the loss somehow. And that would probably not be good for us as players. 

But theres'a problem for foreigners, like me! We can't buy gems directly from store, even trying using paypal or credit card we got alot errors. The DLC is doable, but GEMS aren't! I couldn't buy any gem ingame so far, so i need to buy gift cards on some random sites, them redeem codes. 

That's alot more pricey and a pain in the kitten, also, very less secure! I've tried with VPN and didn't make it with credit cards so far! In steam version i could buy via steam wallet, much more safer and simpler, but since i can't link my accounts, i avoid buying gems at all for safety reasons!!!

2 hours ago, alcure.9107 said:

But theres'a problem for foreigners, like me! We can't buy gems directly from store, even trying using paypal or credit card we got alot errors. The DLC is doable, but GEMS aren't! I couldn't buy any gem ingame so far, so i need to buy gift cards on some random sites, them redeem codes. 

That's alot more pricey and a pain in the kitten, also, very less secure! I've tried with VPN and didn't make it with credit cards so far! In steam version i could buy via steam wallet, much more safer and simpler, but since i can't link my accounts, i avoid buying gems at all for safety reasons!!!

If you can buy expansions from the buy.guildwars2.com site, you should be able to purchase Gems on the site. 

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/115016021188-Problems-When-Purchasing-Gems

https://buy.guildwars2.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

nice i can play through steam with the launch argument, but honestly i wont buy any gems or expansion until i can link my old account. valve earned my fondness over the years. the loss of revenue argument is a short sighted and uneducated marketing advice. an insane amount of players quit gw2 for various reasons, myself among them. playing through steam will bring many of them back, many of them will not buy unless its through steam. valve earned a certain loyalty in this regard for a considerable pool of players that anet will miss out on that important revenue. 

same reason i just flatout quit albion online, no linking. these player mentalities are not a majority market pool, but a considerable one that is not obvious to the standard statistics guy who just does not know all variables.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1