Can you link your existing account to Steam if you pay for the game again?

Hello,

Back in the day I remember buying GW1 on Steam while already having GW1. I was able to log in with my non Steam account after that.
Surely this should be possible with GW2 as well? I don't see what would technically prevent that, and Steam still gets its share.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Ubi.4136 said:

The account log ins are separate.  To use steam to play GW2 you will have to make a new acct there.  Currently, they can not be linked.

Thanks for confirming...

That's pretty silly imho. If it's just paying the Steam tax make it a DLC or something to link your account, problem solved.
Anet shouldn't be locking out its most loyal fanbase out of steam features 😕

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

From a business standpoint, a lot of revenue would be lost if say all existing moved to steam. But regardless of that it's likely their systems between the two games. Authentication, amongst other things. Perhaps an increase in revenue from steam can allow further improvements later.

An alternative for existing accounts is to add GW2 as a non-steam game to bare the fruits of steams features. This has been a thing for years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Players survived for 10 years without Steam, I'm sure it's not the end of the world and they can continue to survive without it. I don't know why this is literally reposted every single day and why people make such a drama out of it.

"Steam features". Right. Everything you have on Steam, you have in the game too. Achievements, check. Friendlist, check. Forums. Check. But of course because making 2 additional clicks to open a separate launcher seems to be too hard for some people, we need to make a drama out of it.

If you like the game, you can enjoy it, with or without Steam.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Crono.4197 said:

Players survived for 10 years without Steam, I'm sure it's not the end of the world and they can continue to survive without it. I don't know why this is literally reposted every single day and why people make such a drama out of it.

"Steam features". Right. Everything you have on Steam, you have in the game too. Achievements, check. Friendlist, check. Forums. Check. But of course because making 2 additional clicks to open a separate launcher seems to be too hard for some people, we need to make a drama out of it.

So what? Before Steam there were still PC games and we still survived without it. Doesn't mean it was for the best. Steam improved the PC gaming scene in many ways and saved it from rampant piracy.

That we 'survived' long enough without it doesn't mean it's not a nice addition. I don't know what your argument even is. You don't personally want it? Fine. More choices the better though?

Especially with a steam deck, not having to figure out how to get GW2 in there is a plus, oh I know it's possible to do it with a bit of research, but that's the thing, it's about the seamless experience, having all your games readily available from the same source.

Finally, I'm a GW1 veteran, god walking amongst mere mortal title, 10k+h on GW2. I do feel entitled to at least provide drama feedback for a game and franchise I care deeply about.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

I have the same standpoint as OP. To make matters a little different, I am playing on Linux. And getting the "official" configuration from ANet for the Steam Deck and/or Linux Desktops would be very neat. Especially since they accidental (at least I hope), broke the Lutris Community Installer and now require tinkering of the installation in a very non-user friendly way on Linux (before it was as simple as a single button click). The non-existence of a physical keyboard on the Steam Deck made me decide that I will not buy it because GW2 will not run out of the box. I am in the software business, so tinkering with this would not be a problem at all, however tinkering with my games is something I will simply not do in my free time. Also the Steam Update functionality is very convenient for me. I will buy Cyberpunk full-price a second time on Steam because the convenience of such a functionality is such a great thing for me personally. So linking the accounts or even moving them permanently is something I would love to see!

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

45 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

So what? Before Steam there were still PC games and we still survived without it. Doesn't mean it was for the best. Steam improved the PC gaming scene in many ways and saved it from rampant piracy.

That we 'survived' long enough without it doesn't mean it's not a nice addition. I don't know what your argument even is. You don't personally want it? Fine. More choices the better though?

Especially with a steam deck, not having to figure out how to get GW2 in there is a plus, oh I know it's possible to do it with a bit of research, but that's the thing, it's about the seamless experience, having all your games readily available from the same source.

Finally, I'm a GW1 veteran, god walking amongst mere mortal title, 10k+h on GW2. I do feel entitled to at least provide drama feedback for a game and franchise I care deeply about.

Anet decided to do it this way likely because they didn't see how it benefitted them. Putting the game on steam is purely a marketing push as some people will not play a game unless it's on steam. 

The intention was never to provide existing player benefits for playing on steam. The moment that players start making purchases via steam that's 30% of income gone.

Honestly I don't get what I would gain from having my account on steam that I don't already have. 

I guarantee you that you would still have to put some work in to get gw2 to work on the steam deck as the game was not built for a controller.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Demented Lemur.7861 said:

Anet decided to do it this way likely because they didn't see how it benefitted them. Putting the game on steam is purely a marketing push as some people will not play a game unless it's on steam. 

The intention was never to provide existing player benefits for playing on steam. The moment that players start making purchases via steam that's 30% of income gone.

Honestly I don't get what I would gain from having my account on steam that I don't already have. 

I guarantee you that you would still have to put some work in to get gw2 to work on the steam deck as the game was not built for a controller.

I'm sure there are reasons, I don't think it's malicious of them to do so and not lose revenues to Steam.

What's also true, as stated before, is that some people will double dip in order to access that level of convenience. It may sound silly for some, but it's a thing, and I think there should be a way to accomplish that.

Ultimately the reasons why we consider the steam environment better or not is irrelevant. And I think it's fair to share that feedback.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

Nice addition yes, must have, no. Again, people are making too much drama out of it. People that "care" about the game, are too busy playing it instead of complaining about minor issues on forums.

Doesn't matter how many hours you have and I'm also I'm a GW1 veteran, have been with the franchise from the beginning, don't know what point you're trying to prove.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

Nice addition yes, must have, no. Again, people are making too much drama out of it. People that "care" about the game, are too busy playing it instead of complaining about minor issues on forums.

Doesn't matter how many hours you have and I'm also I'm a GW1 veteran, have been with the franchise from the beginning, don't know what point you're trying to prove.

"Too busy playing it" Nah. I can browse forums while in a work meeting, I won't play the game. Caring about something doesn't mean being in game all the time either.

"drama" is just a work people used when they want to make feedback sound worse than it is. It's a buzzword. Some people do indeed go a step further and try to trash a game. That's not what I'm doing and I have no interest in doing that.

That we're both veteran doesn't mean we have to agree on everything, but it does indicate we're more likely than not to care about the game, that's what matters and that was my point.

• Confused 3

Sigh...it's hilarious that Zenimax was able to link your account with them to Steam. Yet every other company seems to be too incompetent (or lazy) to do the same.

Like, talk about being completely ignorant to the passive marketing. You don't think people are going to be influenced on whether or not to play an MMO by the number of daily active users? You'd think every company moving their MMO to Steam would be delighted to nudge every one of their "OG" players to use Steam to increase the metric there; thus influencing people looking for a 'popular game' to play.

BTW: If you're not aware, Zenimax moved ESO to Steam after it had already been F2P, and they didn't make you rebuy the game. They literally did it for FREE. And yes, I know FF14 and EVE also never allowed linking. I think they're stupid too.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

No because for every Steam Account that did this, the developers would lose money on Gem sells. Steam Accounts, the Developers and valve split the profits for the Gem Sells. So its less productive if you intend to help support the game development with your money

why did my dumb *** assume i'd be able to log into the Steam version with my current GW2 account?
I just wanted steam to manage updates. So, on my lunch break today i uninstalled GW2 and started the download on Steam. Took four hours. There is no way i'm starting over again. And i guess i'll get around to redownloading from the site WHENEVER

Edited by sydth.6910
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sydth.6910 said:

why did my dumb *** assume i'd be able to log into the Steam version with my current GW2 account?
I just wanted steam to manage updates. So, on my lunch break today i uninstalled GW2 and started the download on Steam. Took four hours. There is no way i'm starting over again. And i guess i'll get around to redownloading from the site WHENEVER

Start your download on Steam, close Steam, move the Guild Wars 2 files in steamapps then open steam again and it should detect the files right away.

@Espionage.3685It was online shortly after release.

Edited by Shao.7236

2 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

No because for every Steam Account that did this, the developers would lose money on Gem sells. Steam Accounts, the Developers and valve split the profits for the Gem Sells. So its less productive if you intend to help support the game development with your money

So there no porpouse for this game to be realeased in Steam for players with existent accounts , a lot of players (including myself) use Steam for regionalized prices.

Edited by abelsgmx.7530

3 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

How can they even track that? It's a legit question. This feels a little abusive on Steam's part. And really sucks if they can't strike a better deal with mmo type games.
And again I was able to login with my OG GW1 account using Steam, so I know it's technically possible and Steam didn't seem to care back then.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, illutian.7630 said:

Sigh...it's hilarious that Zenimax was able to link your account with them to Steam. Yet every other company seems to be too incompetent (or lazy) to do the same.

Like, talk about being completely ignorant to the passive marketing. You don't think people are going to be influenced on whether or not to play an MMO by the number of daily active users? You'd think every company moving their MMO to Steam would be delighted to nudge every one of their "OG" players to use Steam to increase the metric there; thus influencing people looking for a 'popular game' to play.

BTW: If you're not aware, Zenimax moved ESO to Steam after it had already been F2P, and they didn't make you rebuy the game. They literally did it for FREE. And yes, I know FF14 and EVE also never allowed linking. I think they're stupid too.

I'll do you one better - SWTOR allowed account linking, made it so that updates go through Steam and not the launcher, thus improving the speed AND introduced Steam achievements that automatically updated when you already had them completed in game. But I guess Anet wants to be speshul🤡

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, anyaeversong.2678 said:

I'll do you one better - SWTOR allowed account linking, made it so that updates go through Steam and not the launcher, thus improving the speed AND introduced Steam achievements that automatically updated when you already had them completed in game. But I guess Anet wants to be speshul🤡

I still think ANet shouldn't have pushed for a Steam launch at all. I doubt the kind of player that 'refuses to play unless a game is on Steam' is also the kind of person who has what it takes to stick with GW2. The game really allows you to play as well or as poorly as you want - the gear and build freedom allows you to make a truly, terribly, 100% useless build. So in pursuit of these people that likely won't stick around, ANet is justifying various 'Steam-centric' changes to justify questionable decisions.

While I don't believe player retention will be much of a thing from Steam, I do at least hope some Steam purchases will bring a burst of revenue to ANet.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:01 AM, Crono.4197 said:

True. And Guild Wars 2's controller config utility and screenshot manager are much better than Steam's too. Lots of other better features in GW2 compared to Steam too. Oh, I almost forgot how great GW's friend portal is great for getting all my friends online and in game at the same time, all in a single UI, so I don't need to download extra apps to get these features.

Edited by Gaiawolf.8261

Cronos has the way of it. If you download Steamedit and delete the flag -providerissteam from the launch argument line it will launch from Steam with your old account. Its the same thing folks that bought FFXIV retail accounts have to do to get it to run on Steam. They aren't enabling all old accounts on Steam and having their whole player base have 30% revenue skimmed off every gem purchase. Its convenient for us but thats alot of revenue to give up for them lol. This fix does the same thing anyway. Very easy to do with Steam edit just delete the line and hit save.

Edited by psyt.9415