Need advice on how to play SB Cele Renagade in WVW Roaming

yiksing.9432

I've been playing Cele Renagade since EoD expansion and hasn't touched it at all since its launch so I'm clearly a noob at the class but I've played GW2 since launch. This build is fun and very versatile but I've always struggled against other profession especially Holosmith and D/P Daredevil.

I noticed my issues when against a thief are when they get in melee range, it is quite difficult for me to spread distance so I can use my shortbow against them. When i managed to knockdown, their shadowstep is usually already up. If I had to switch to staff I can mitigate their damage for a while but I hit like a wet noodle and their blind really mess me up.

As for Holosmith I just had no way to spread any distance at all, they stick to me like crazy and their access to stability means i have very small window to stun them. On staff its the same issue like on thief.

Any advice is welcomed, thank you.

You need to bait out their skills and they will be trying to do the same with you. You will want to sit on Kalla for summons because if a Thief all ins, Summons shut them down very hard, especially Darkrazor. 

Renegade can also be very tanky when using the trait which gives Summons pulsing protection. 

Other than that, Jallis is usually a good legend because of how Hammers have damage reduction and can be turned on to hit invis enemies if they are trying to backstab you.

How you go around baiting people out? That's really down to experience. Some Thieves underestimate you and simply kiting around obstacles will cause them to be impatient and use their resources to catch up to you. Some Thieves are really experienced and you need to purposefully create an opening for them to try and exploit. 

This is the Renegade build I use, but I have to warn you, it's not for everyone, this is the one I use for Roaming to fight other Roamers: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmjAUZldQMMHyj1QdsHij9RksAigl2U2LD-zVJYiRFPAA-w

I will use things like Dome of the Mist passive and Jallis to bait out skills and stay safe and when the Thief eventually has to Shadowstep out due to a CC landing on them at a bad time, bring them down with a quick Phase Traversal and Shortbow 3. 

Edited by Yasai.3549

If you are doing Shrio/Jalis... My rotation to start off is in Shiro Shortbow 5, impossible odds, then 4, 3, swap to Jalis. then Vengeful hammers along with Inspiring reinforcement (in melee range if possible, to get damage on both). Then throw a taunt on them if you are able or wait till the right time then 4,3 again.. throwing in 2 when u can, while trying to keep some distance. Kinda rinse this for the burst. When you do SB4 skill you created a field and the SB 3 hitting them in that field will add fire damage which cane help...so always try to get that off.

As mentioned above, with the p/p theif dome of mists can help a lot, also with rangers ofc. 

I find a lot of my fights are almost in melee range with the SB, so don't focus too much on creating distance at all costs. I play pretty aggressively tho. It's a very capable elite, you'll get there with some persistence. 

Funny thing that I was accused of playing a 'kitten' build by just playing renegade the other day. I've never really seen anyone complain on the forums as Renegade being OP. And, I didn't even end up killing the guy, just not dying was enough for him to be mad, lol.

Edited by Santo.2419
  • Like 1

I would really try out salvation cele Renegade...removing the blind or any condition really on dodge and getting protection afterwards...adding the 15% DMG reduction from the gm trait makes you incredibly tanky

If you want you can add that Up with Antitoxin runes and youll get pretty much untouchable by condi builds as well

23 minutes ago, Sarlan.7682 said:

I would really try out salvation cele Renegade...removing the blind or any condition really on dodge and getting protection afterwards...adding the 15% DMG reduction from the gm trait makes you incredibly tanky

If you want you can add that Up with Antitoxin runes and youll get pretty much untouchable by condi builds as well

THIS! now you take ventari instead of Jalis and your set!

Sounds odd?  TRY IT!