What is the point of this Beta test?

As a player I cannot see anything obviously different between this beta test and the previous one.

None of the bugs that were reported last beta seem to have been fixed.

Perhaps Anet could tell us what changes have been made to Alliances between this beta and the previous one and what parts of Alliances are being tested with this beta?

I don't know about anyone else, but I am already seeing the question "Is this beta just to keep the WvW community quiet?" in guild and team chats.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Nidome.1365 said:

"Is this beta just to keep the WvW community quiet?"

That's it... They have absolutely nothing new besides some concept arts or whatever, they don't care for their cornerstone game mode (tm). The only thing that would have been new are the achievements that are still bugged. It's just to throw us a bone and for them to say "See, we care for you and for WvW (now buy this new gem store skin)"...

Edited by gooddrakkarboi.4870
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Nidome.1365 said:

As a player I cannot see anything obviously different between this beta test and the previous one.

None of the bugs that were reported last beta seem to have been fixed.

Perhaps Anet could tell us what changes have been made to Alliances between this beta and the previous one and what parts of Alliances are being tested with this beta?

I don't know about anyone else, but I am already seeing the question "Is this beta just to keep the WvW community quiet?" in guild and team chats.

Agree. This is why a posting on what is being tested would have been helpful. I get it. No programmer likes to indicate what they are testing so they aren't stuck with 'well that didn't work as intended'. But when doing it under live fire exercises if you want better feedback, it's best to say we aren't testing this or this, but are that and that. Else you leave people with, hey all of that other stuff is working. 

• Like 5

repeating myself again for like the 100th time: 

the purpose of the beta is:

1. find bugs in the core-system that will be the foundation of the future WvW matchmaking and team-balancing
  2. test if players can be distributed in a balanced way based on guilds
  3. test if players get matched in the correct teams
  4. test if player balancing is equal

that´s it currently. nothing more, nothing less. 

For the future, other elements are planned, such as player-organized alliances, reward restructuring etc, but right now, those functionalities are not even implemented yet, and it won´t come until the very foundation of the new matchmaking will reliably work. 

Don´t expect anything of the following:

1. fixing already existent bugs (aside from the queue-bug, which seems to give ANet trouble)
  2. changing rewards or reward structure
  3. changes to maps or WvW-related mechanics

nothing of those is even intended to be changed with world restructuring and it´s beta-phases

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 9

15 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

1. find bugs in the core-system that will be the foundation of the future WvW matchmaking and team-balancing

finding bugs is an ongoing process and part of every beta. But this is no explanation why making another beta before visible progress in developing is being made.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

2. test if players can be distributed in a balanced way based on guilds
  3. test if players get matched in the correct teams
  4. test if player balancing is equal

For this only the distribution and match software needs to run. This could be done in a test system with a copy of live data or with a beta that lasts a few hours (or maybe a day to collect more player feedback). But for testing this there is no need to run a WvW-beta (and hold WvW players hostage as guinea pigs) for a full week.

And, of course, if Anet really wanted to collect valuable player feedback they should have given instructions about the topics they want feedback about and how players should give this feedback in the best possible way.

19 hours ago, Nidome.1365 said:

I think the main reason for this beta is to show some form of proof that Anet is still on this and has not yet abandoned it, again.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

Don´t expect anything of the following:

1. ...
  2. changing rewards or reward structure
  3. ...

nothing of those is even intended to be changed with world restructuring and it´s beta-phases

Ok, now I understand why the rewards for particpation in the WVW beta are not implemented yet in the game. Maybe you should have told that to the person at Anet before he/she made the announcement about beta rewards. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1