Made a warrior, what are my options?

Saint Sated.2698

Warrior is not in the best state right now. After the banner reworks it isn't as requested in instanced PVE.

For openworld it is fine, condi berserker , power berserker, and power spellbreaker are all usable even if dealing with phase shift on melee warriors remains problematic. Berserker is actually less glassy compared to before when it had -300 toughness. If you are going for instanced PVE and have to deal with movement then bladesworn isn't great but for bosses that are mostly stationary it is one of the best power DPS if you can successfully execute the Dragon Trigger attack.

For modes you didn't list:
For WVW it is in a decent state even if it is not truly meta. Arc Divider still does large amount of damage and spellbreakers of power DPS and support are still used sometimes.

For PVP, bladesworn shout warrior was nerfed while the Dragon Trigger attack lost stability and damage (which wasn't that high without might stacks). I am not that into PVP anymore post EoD so I am not that sure of what is going on there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

To quote Infusion, warrior is not in the best state, but it is in a better state than before Oct 4th.

An across-the-board trait rework has improved it a bit in all game modes. wvw, I'm not completely sure about, but with the new trait and banner changes, you might see more warriors running power builds with some boon-support in groups. pvp, hammer builds are slowly making a comeback. pve is more or less the same since the banner changes. Not "in demand", but viable. Warriors can actually pick what they want to do: dps or boon-support. Boon-support with banners works with some concentration investment. (not a lot)

5 hours ago, Saint Sated.2698 said:

As title suggests, what options does a warrior have in today's game modes? Kind of a returning player and I see a lot of back and forth on viability of the class. I like open world farming and instanced pve. 

You have 3 elite specs, so you can imagine the things you can do:

Berserker: Melee dps
Spellbreaker: Melee dps
Bladesworn (got a pistol): Also melee dps

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

You have 3 elite specs, so you can imagine the things you can do:

Berserker: Melee dps
Spellbreaker: Melee dps
Bladesworn (got a pistol): Also melee dps

Saying "got a pistol" doesn't mean much when it's a melee-range weapon.

As for your PvE content choices, you can make an okay-isb support build using banner of defense, double standards, and vigorous shouts. This will provide some healing and quickness to your team.

if you're truly determined to get the "warrior experience" i'd strongly suggest rolling a guardian. revenant or even a ranger with that slot, willbender and vindicator will more than satisfy your "warrior experience" cravings and ranger is very strong both from ranged and in melee.

• Confused 1

Don’t let the folks who spend more time on the forums then in game discourage you. Spellbreaker is good in pvp/wvw. Your always be wanted in wvw because of bubble. Zerker and bladesowrn is fun in open world pve. Longbow isnt exactly the best but you can make a condi build to have a range option in open world. 

Edited by captrowdy.9561
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

22 hours ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

Don’t let the folks who spend more time on the forums then in game discourage you. Spellbreaker is good in pvp/wvw. Your always be wanted in wvw because of bubble. Zerker and bladesowrn is fun in open world pve. Longbow isnt exactly the best but you can make a condi build to have a range option in open world. 

8-9k hours on warrior here since 2014, do all game modes, play all warrior specs extensively. i can attest to the experiences people have posted here. we're not discouraging him, i personally am saving him time and resources, at the very least he'll know what he's getting into.

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

This is the first time I've ever seen someone claim bladesworn is fun in openworld. Care to elaborate on what makes it fun other than seeing a big number?

Unless you are fighting a boss without phase shift or AOE most players are probably going to have a far easier time on spellbreaker or berserker (either condi/power). In fact, fast farming (an openworld farming guild) has always had berserker but never bladesworn. If you're dealing with trash mobs, it simply isn't efficient to Dragon Slash compared to Arc Divider. Even in terms of sustain, hitting with more bursts results in more consistent healing from the tactics traitline so fighting bosses in melee is easier with Decapitate or Arc Divider and as far as cleave Scorched Earth on condi berserker is far superior to Dragon Slash in every way.  In terms of especially annoying mobs with stealth, Magebane tether on Spellbreaker is a far superior solution too.

In addition , Winds of Disenchantment "bubble" is a shell of its former power since it only removes one boon per pulse and doesn't stop incoming boons in WVW. It's also pretty useless in any scenario where it isn't a large group since people won't stand in it. 

I feel that the topic poster deserves the truth, which is warrior is neither garbage nor overly strong at the moment. It is far weaker in the sense if you have to deal with movement (the new strikes and such demand this) or range (see phase shift on bosses) you best be using condi berserker and not bladesworn. It used to be that "BS" was a requested role in fractals , strikes, and raids, but that has fell to the wayside.

• Thanks 1