Help with a Code...

Hiya folks...

I have a quick question here if you don't mind; I was just given as a gift a $25.00 gem store gift card (whoot! 🙂), but when I went to redeem it, it said to go to https://account.arena.net to redeem it. However, as I went threw steam to get my game, the site basically tells me it can't redeem it as I have to sign in on my steam account from there as it doesn't seem to accept that I also made a login there as well. Unfortunately, the only option that is given me to redeem any type of code is a 25 digit one, which won't work as the store gift card only has 20 digits. And ironically, when I do a deep dive on the arena site, and look at the option to Redeeming Gem Codes, the directions it gives does not match what the in game directions are (which direct one to the link I gave above). So please, what exactly am I to do here, and how do I redeem this gem card? Any advice of experience or help would be appreciated, thank you...

Peace...

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, BjorJlen.9674 said:

Hiya folks...

I have a quick question here if you don't mind; I was just given as a gift a $25.00 gem store gift card (whoot! 🙂), but when I went to redeem it, it said to go to https://account.arena.net to redeem it. However, as I went threw steam to get my game, the site basically tells me it can't redeem it as I have to sign in on my steam account from there as it doesn't seem to accept that I also made a login there as well. Unfortunately, the only option that is given me to redeem any type of code is a 25 digit one, which won't work as the store gift card only has 20 digits. And ironically, when I do a deep dive on the arena site, and look at the option to Redeeming Gem Codes, the directions it gives does not match what the in game directions are (which direct one to the link I gave above). So please, what exactly am I to do here, and how do I redeem this gem card? Any advice of experience or help would be appreciated, thank you...

Peace...

If I recall correctly with the store purchased physical cards like the ones u could get at GameStop or other places in the past are redeemed via the Trading Post icon inside the game. It has a redeem code link under the Buy Gems button in the upper left of the main screen after opening the TP in game.

If your account is super new its possible you need to wait a few days to use it, but off hand I would think it should work.

Edited by Moradorin.6217

Thanks for the reply @Moradorin.6217, but unfortunately that doesn't work. Or should I say, while the link itself does work (as I mentioned in my OP), when I go to sign in, the link forces me to sign in on steam instead, and of course as I do (successfully) the only option that is given (as I also said above) is a redeem code option that requires 25 characters, which does NOT match up in any way with the 20 characters the store bought card has. I can only assume the 25 digit one is for redeeming the game itself, and not a game card, but sadly that is the ONLY option that is offered. 😞. So yeah, I need some good help here and advice, but just the same thank you for voicing yours; it's just too bad it's not the one that works is all. 😞

Peace...

From the Knowledge Base (Support link above/below):

Can I add gem codes to my Guild Wars 2 Steam account?

No, gem card codes cannot be redeemed in-game (or on the site) for Guild Wars 2 accounts that were created on Steam. If this changes, the information will be updated here.

You will get the same answer from the ArenaNet CS Team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

From the Knowledge Base (Support link above/below):

Can I add gem codes to my Guild Wars 2 Steam account?

No, gem card codes cannot be redeemed in-game (or on the site) for Guild Wars 2 accounts that were created on Steam. If this changes, the information will be updated here.

You will get the same answer from the ArenaNet CS Team.

Yeah exactly as I thought. It's becasue when the game is on Steam, Gabe expects to get his cut. The gem store cards would allow people to put gems on a steam account without Gabe getting his share which makes Gabe 😠

In most cases I would say this is terrible practices that harm consumers so large companies can keep as much money as possible. However I do understand that businesses exist to make money and Steam does do a lot of things I like so it's hard to condem them too much for me. I would suggest people make Anet account as opposed to Steam because really it's just better. If you care about this game you should want them to get your money, not Gabe for sitting around.

Edited by Libera Simio.1592
I can't type.
  • Thanks 1

😞 😞 😞

Well, this absolutely sucks big time kitten. 😞 You would figure since GW2 is ArenaNet's actual game, they would honor such a game card even if your game was first downloaded via Steam, as they do advertise that the do accept game cards, and even advertise where to buy them at. However, my situation seems to be a bit unique (at least as far as I know), as I downloaded the original game (GW2, which is free to download) via ArenaNet, and NOT Steam. I ONLY got the expansions via Steam (which seemed to be more convenient at the time, so I believed), which should not negate ArenaNet from honoring the game card at all.

If ArenaNet (or Gabe, whomever he is... was he the initial game designer lead btw?) does support such a crappy business model, maybe they should rethink their policy because I got the initial game from them in the first place. In either case, I want to thank you all for your replies and info regarding this, as sucky as it may be for me unfortunately. I will continue to try and work with ArenaNet as I di contact them (thanks again for the link @GODh.3892), as they did ask me to send them pictures of my issue, but I am now not holding out too much hope that they will honor the card.

Otherwise I will have to try and return the card, and hope that Walmart will return my $$$ even though I already scratched off the silver bar. If that don't work, I just might have to as a last resort try... well, I shouldn't say as I don't want to break any policies regarding the sale/transfer of such an item. Man this sucks :(... but thanks again you guys.

Peace...

3 minutes ago, BjorJlen.9674 said:

😞 😞 😞

Well, this absolutely sucks big time kitten. 😞 You would figure since GW2 is ArenaNet's actual game, they would honor such a game card even if your game was first downloaded via Steam, as they do advertise that the do accept game cards, and even advertise where to buy them at. However, my situation seems to be a bit unique (at least as far as I know), as I downloaded the original game (GW2, which is free to download) via ArenaNet, and NOT Steam. I ONLY got the expansions via Steam (which seemed to be more convenient at the time, so I believed), which should not negate ArenaNet from honoring the game card at all.

If ArenaNet (or Gabe, whomever he is... was he the initial game designer lead btw?) does support such a crappy business model, maybe they should rethink their policy because I got the initial game from them in the first place. In either case, I want to thank you all for your replies and info regarding this, as sucky as it may be for me unfortunately. I will continue to try and work with ArenaNet as I di contact them (thanks again for the link @GODh.3892), as they did ask me to send them pictures of my issue, but I am now not holding out too much hope that they will honor the card.

Otherwise I will have to try and return the card, and hope that Walmart will return my $$$ even though I already scratched off the silver bar. If that don't work, I just might have to as a last resort try... well, I shouldn't say as I don't want to break any policies regarding the sale/transfer of such an item. Man this sucks :(... but thanks again you guys.

Peace...

Gabe is the creator of Steam as a platform. He owns the company. As far as I know if you downloaded the game on Anets website, then bought the game through steam you would have two accounts. Steam makes a new account for you when you try to play through their laucher. If you launch through steam it says 'launching through Steam' on the launcher. If it's a normal Anet account you have to sign into with your credentials.

Yeah, which is weird as hell to me (though, being disabled, that is not too surprising lol). As I mentioned, I did get the game via the Anet game site, while I got the expansions via steam, and it seems that choice is now biting me in the kitten as Anet doesn't honor certain things when you run the game via Steam (which I do with most of my games, as it's easier for me to keep track of them). Talk about a messed up choice/system. Thank you for telling me about Gabe though @Libera Simio.1592; it's good to know such things (even though Gabe in this situation seems to be more like a... well, you know lol). And the real irony about all of this? I find that GW2 is one of the best games I have played in such a very long time, with a good community overall. Sigh... thanks again though...

Peace...

4 minutes ago, BjorJlen.9674 said:

Yeah, which is weird as hell to me (though, being disabled, that is not too surprising lol). As I mentioned, I did get the game via the Anet game site, while I got the expansions via steam, and it seems that choice is now biting me in the kitten as Anet doesn't honor certain things when you run the game via Steam (which I do with most of my games, as it's easier for me to keep track of them). Talk about a messed up choice/system. Thank you for telling me about Gabe though @Libera Simio.1592; it's good to know such things (even though Gabe in this situation seems to be more like a... well, you know lol). And the real irony about all of this? I find that GW2 is one of the best games I have played in such a very long time, with a good community overall. Sigh... thanks again though...

Peace...

So, what you CAN do here is to lauch the game without steam, sign in with credentials you made on Anet's website. Once you are on a normal (not Steam) account you can get your gems. Whatever you want to buy with the gems can be purchased as a 'gift'. You can just gift the items to your main account (steam)

Edited by Libera Simio.1592
  • Like 1

Interesting @Inculpatus cedo.9234.

If I did happen to try and get a refund off the expansions I got via Steam, and then get them via ArenaNet, would that "reset" any of my characters or "reset" them back to square one? If so, that would suck. 😞

Also, while I do basically have two accounts, which seems to be the source of all my problems unfortunately, ArenaNet is not letting me log into my account there and is instead "forcing" me to log in via Steam (as I have already explained above). I have sent a Email(s) to Arnet explaining my situation, along with six pictures I took showing/proving it (which they actually requested... any pictures I mean, not the amount of them), so hopefully it will get them to help me and fix my login issue with their site. Otherwise, I am now in a "wait and see" holding pattern for now. 😞

Peace...

I don't know how ArenaNet is 'forcing' you to log into your Steam account.

Just put your ArenaNet account credentials into the launcher (Account Name/email address used to create that [ArenaNet] account and password).  You did make note of those, I assume.  You should also have a different Display Name associated with that account.

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
clarity

5 hours ago, BjorJlen.9674 said:

If I did happen to try and get a refund off the expansions I got via Steam, and then get them via ArenaNet, would that "reset" any of my characters or "reset" them back to square one? If so, that would suck.

You're likely not eligible for a refund, but yes, you'd lose everything. Steam only offers refunds within the first few hours played and Walmart isn't going to refund a used card.

Your options are to sell it, buy a regular account (ArenaNet offers refunds within 30 days) or give the card to a friend with a regular account to gift you items from the store or exchange. Note it can't be a free account due to their restrictions.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 8:06 AM, BjorJlen.9674 said:

Hmmm...

Are we able to "gift" gold and/or gems to other people too, or just items you can mail to each other?

Peace...

You can send gold though the ingame mail system. You could then convert the gold to gems but make sure to be carefull, the exchange rate changes a lot. And you can not exchance gold for gems with a free account!