FPS randomly get locked at 30 for no reason

Sarius.9285

3 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/896528182348501052/1046940065122766858/image.png

For some reason my FPS randomly get locked at 30, almost like I capped them, which I didn't. It's often fixed after restarting the game, but not always. 

This has randomly been happening for a couple of weeks now, any idea why?

I dont keep my fps displayed all the time anymore, when I did I do recall some areas seeming to be capped and pretty steady at 30 fps. Not sure why. It always seemed to be places like towns iirc, but its hard to remember.

7 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

I dont keep my fps displayed all the time anymore, when I did I do recall some areas seeming to be capped and pretty steady at 30 fps. Not sure why. It always seemed to be places like towns iirc, but its hard to remember.

nah, yesterday it randomly happened mid Xera encounter which was super annoying

7 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Could be a video card not being able to render a steady 60FPS and vSync enabled. Try disabling vSync if it is off to see if this improves FPS.

a 3060 should be fine, normally I'm always at 60, it just sometimes drops to 30 very irregular without a pattern behind it

That means you have vsync enabled instead of using fps cap. If you cant maintain 60+ fps, it drops to 30 fps. Meaning if you have 59 fps... you dont. You have 30 fps, period. If you cant maintain 30+, it drops to 15 fps. Thats how vsync halving works and the reason its obsolete today (use variable refresh rate, freesync or gsync or not at all).

Whether you run the game at 30, 40, 50 fps after that... well GW2 aint exactly optimized for speed.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

1 minute ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

That means you have vsync enabled instead of using fps cap. If you cant maintain 60+ fps, it drops to 30 fps. Meaning if you have 59 fps... you dont. You have 30 fps, period. If you cant maintain 30+, it drops to 15 fps. Thats how vsync halving works and the reason its obsolete today (use variable refresh rate, freesync or gsync or not at all).

Whether you run the game at 30, 40, 50 fps after that... well GW2 aint exactly optimized for speed.

ah kitten....so gw2 really does run worse than cyberpunk lol...thanks for the explanation 

1 minute ago, Sarius.9285 said:

ah kitten....so gw2 really does run worse than cyberpunk lol...thanks for the explanation 

Yes it does lol.

It's possible that both Nvidia and AMD got a setting that use vsync above 60 and disables it below (I seem to remember something like that but I've used a disgustingly expensive gsync module monitor for many years). You have to disable it ingame and check driver setting overrides for that.

Just now, Dawdler.8521 said:

that both Nvidia and AMD got a setting that use vsync above 60 and disables it below

yea I think that's what Gsync (on Nvidia does) gonna look into the control panel later.

It's just so weird that this 10 year old game still has such awful performance 😄

Gonna disable V-sync for now and see how it goes. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

yea I think that's what Gsync (on Nvidia does) gonna look into the control panel later.

Gsync/freesync change the refresh of your monitor to match the fps. It disable at low fps sub 30 or something, but it doesnt work like the setting I'm talking about which just automatically flips vsync on/off. 

If you have a gsync compatible monitor definetly use that instead (I think all 30 series have hardware gsync, unlike 20 series).

Edited by Dawdler.8521