spell breaker

Sansar.1302

i only hope that if the new balance team wants to address anything, that they address it directly.

unlike how they previously did it, which left a mess of colateral damage and broken fluff everywhere.

warrior already has a decades worth of those.

"they should leave the game better than when they found it." nba quote

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It isn't that warrior needs to drop any of the stats, it's that the stats on top of it's available active defense pool is not in balance with the other professions.

I get that's what you're saying. But as a result you're vouching for more active defenses, right? So with those, how would you see losing the stats? Seems only fair, doesn't it?

And btw, it doesn't really matter what the "total number per class" is. If anything, it matters how many there is in a build (and that's still not enough since the raw "number of defenses" doesn't do anything about understanding how much time they actually cover or in what situations they're useful).

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I get that's what you're saying. But as a result you're vouching for more active defenses, right? So with those, how would you see losing the stats? Seems only fair, doesn't it?

Only on the assumption that the current amount and CD of warrior active sustain along with its current stats is on the appropriate level, which it isn't. You can see this based on which specs get used and why.

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And btw, it doesn't really matter what the "total number per class" is. If anything, it matters how many there is in a build (and that's still not enough since the raw "number of defenses" doesn't do anything about understanding how much time they actually cover or in what situations they're useful).

That is a fair criticism for sure, even for warrior all 18 can't be taken at once. But for specs like Ele, Ranger, and Thief a large number of evades are built into multiple weapon sets baking in that level of sustain. I've seen it pointed out that CC is as much a part of sustain as well, but even there warrior isn't in the top three. If it were I think I'd call it even and fair, but it isn't.

Back at launch I could see the argument that Warrior's higher base stats justified the lower amount of CC and active defenses as everything was generally weaker and slower paced then, but not anymore.

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

At least outside of PvP in the other two modes you are starting to see some non-Discipline builds. Str+Def is strong together no matter what spec you are running.

I've never run a discipline build, even as an avid core warrior. Mainly wvw talk. My usual build is a fairly odd arms-strength-tactics with axe and gladius. I think I'm the only one running this particular variant (yes, I like dual wielding and hate greatsword and swap sigils. Fight me, disengaging is for thieves), and I think the _one_ other post I made here was about that. I did try to swap tactics with discipline. Less sustain but still feasible. I refuse to give up strength. MMR is too good. I wish arms had a might generation method, but as it is, shockingly enough I like it a lot and will not sacrifice it. Spellbreaker kinda works with magebane, improved crits and offhand dagger, but it still feels less tight-knit than core. Same for berserker. I did try defence/discipline spb. I'm not quite as durable nor as damaging and autonomous as both my core variants. 

To an extent, this affection for core classes is a distinct flavour of mine. It looks like few players remember how to counter now-unusual choices. 

Edited by howdy.7604

1 minute ago, howdy.7604 said:

I've never run a discipline build, even as an avid core warrior. Mainly wvw talk. My usual build is a fairly odd arms-strength-tactics with axe and gladius. I think I'm the only one running this particular variant (yes, I like dual wielding and hate greatsword and swap sigils. Fight me, disengaging is for thieves), and I think the _one_ other post I made here was about that. I tried to swap tactics with discipline. Less sustain but still feasible. I refuse to give up strength. MMR is too good. I wish arms had a might generation method, but as it is, shockingly enough I like it a lot and will not sacrifice it. Spellbreaker kinda works with magebane, improved crits and offhand dagger, but it still feels less tight-knit than core. Same for berserker. I did try defence/discipline spb. I'm not quite as durable nor as damaging and autonomous as both my core variants. 

To an extent, this affection for core classes is a distinct flavour of mine. It looks like few players remember how to counter now-unusual choices. 

I've run a fair number of non discipline builds myself. It mostly comes down to if I run axe or not. Axe Mastery is too good to pass up if I run axes. I can see a core Str/Def/Tactics build being strong and with high sustain.

12 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I've run a fair number of non discipline builds myself. It mostly comes down to if I run axe or not. Axe Mastery is too good to pass up if I run axes. I can see a core Str/Def/Tactics build being strong and with high sustain.

I run as second a full soldier build like that. Mace, shield, hammer. Hilarious, aggravating, awesome. Dolyak runes for extra kek and 32k health.