Who is your favorite mentor from personal story?

Sylvari.2953

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were all fantastic. Strangely enough, your experience can change depending on who you are as well. As a Human Male, the back and forth with Tybalt felt natural and silly... "brotherly", almost cathartic given the two races' history. It works almost as well with a Norn, and not so much the Asura Male.As an Asura Female, the banter with Forgal was much more akin to a father-daughter relationship than mentor-student, and just fit together better than it did on my Charr Male and Norn Female.Sieran's delivery fits nicely with either Sylvari's, but the most interesting and compatible banter came with the Male Charr, in my experience.

Ultimately, I most enjoyed Tybalt's humor and related on a personal level to his tragic past more than Forgal's, and Sieran was a little too good at being an "annoying little sister", but it could have gone to any of them.

About 7 years later and Forgals still my favorite, the other two just never clicked with me and Vigil was my first one. I love his personality and he basically feels like your adoptive norn dad with added witty humor.

Another reason is because I felt he had the best backstory, there’s a reason he acts grumpy and you learn this after finding out the truth about his family and how his father was the last Dolyak shaman. He also carved your name into his family heirloom horn and theirs a letter left to you on a vigil desk from him. And if you talk to the Warmaster Efrut she tells you he thinks of your character as the kid he should have had.

I kind of like Sieran because Sylvari but Tybalt always felt a bit overrated to me. Guess he just didn’t click I dunno.

I'm biased since Forgal is the only one I've picked (only did PS up to that point on my main, the others I've only watched in WP's Youtube Let's Play), but I really liked his character. He didn't seem overly tropey, or stereotypical for his character type. He was believable in my eyes. He was like a tough dad figure, which was especially appropriate for my main, since my main is a Charr, which Charr in the PS have issues around their biological father, and having Forgal in the picture is like getting to experience the father-son bonding that Charr typically don't get to have.

Also of all the mentors, his death was the most believable. It feels to me like that death scene was written with Forgal in mind, and then Sieran and Tybalt were retrofitted into the scene, because when Tybalt, and sieran especially, sacrifice themselves to save everyone it seems really out of character.

@Zalani.9827 said:and theirs a letter left to you on a vigil desk from him.

There is?? Ooh...now I need to go looking for this... [Edit: Oh, found it...]

Anyway - Tybalt is my favorite. Perhaps that's just because he was the first Order mentor I encountered, but he and my sylvari just clicked with each other. He almost became like a father figure to my naive, wide-eyed sylvari, helping him grow in confidence until he was the one taking charge and able to stand on his own two feet. In return, my sylvari gave Tybalt his wholehearted trust, approval, and friendship. I knew it was coming, but Claw Island still felt like a punch in the gut. Rest in peace, my dear friend Tybalt! [salutes]

Sieran was so sweet, and I really love her. Then again, I love all sylvari, because...sylvari.... But Sieran was just adorable. She was carefree and cheerful without being annoying, which she could have easily slipped into - but she didn't. Maybe it was her wonderful voice actress, but she was never irritating in her optimism. She was just...so sweet. :heart:Forgal, on the other hand...well. I like him, I really do, but I always got the feeling he was annoyed with my female charr character. Then again, that could have been the way the female charr VA delivered her lines, with what seemed to be an arrogant and standoffish edge to them. Forgal's gruffness in response sounded like he was genuinely irritated with her flippancy. There was always that uncomfortable tension in their relationship, and I never felt like they were very close. I kept feeling embarrassed on behalf of my apparently ignorant charr...headcanon to the rescue (where she has a different voice and is actually capable of showing emotion other than arrogance). With my male asura, on the other hand, Forgal's grumpiness seemed more like affectionate exasperation due to the over-eager asura trying so hard to do his best. It was cute. :) What a difference a voice actor can make... I still never felt very close to him, but at least it wasn't cringe-worthy this time around.

@"Westenev.5289" said:I just don't understand why he had to die...Plot logic."I could continue to run with you, and help fight off the equally numerous army of zombies in front of us as there are behind us, but instead let's stop running for 10 seconds so I can monologue, and go die to save you 5 seconds of a zombie chase."

Yeah no, the mentor deaths were just badly written. A freak accident, such as the gate being blown to pieces and collapsing at the last second, splitting up the mentors from the PC would make a lot more sense.

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:he lost his left pawIt's horribly mangled into a deformity, not completely missing.

@"Westenev.5289" said:Sieran and Forgal had their moments... but Tybalt definately had the biggest impact durring his level 40-50 misison with his "fake it til you make it" personality. Honestly, I think it would be a good investment for the anet team to revisit Claw Island, because as it stands, I just don't understand why he had to die...

If Anet wants to challenge me on this, perhaps a "last stand on claw island" fractal could be in order? >:D

It just needs to be a regular map we can visit if the character we are using is post Battle of Claw Island in the personal story. It should have a monument that shows the memorial for which ever mentor died in the personal story. I've been asking for Claw Island to become it's own map for awhile and be expanded to include surrounding islands.

Archived