Brand new to Fractals

Hello. I am looking to complete the Season 1 achievements (so I can I get Old Lion's Arch) but part of this involves doing certain fractals. I have never done one in my life (despite playing this game for a number of years) and so am a little puzzled by the whole system. Can I just clarify - it appears I have to start at the beginning with the first fractal and cannot jump to the ones I need to complete the achievements, is that right? I went to the panel inside the Fractal's Lobby and all options apart from the first were greyed out and could not be selected. So I have to do them all until I get to ones I want? Sorry if this sounds silly.

You can join a group doing the fractal you need (1 in the group need to have a high enough fractal level), but you can only start them according your fractal level. (Whenever you do a fractal greater  your fractal lvl it is advanced by 1)

i would wait for your wanted fractal become daily and then join a T1 (fractals 1-25) daily (plus rec maybe) group doing it

or you make a group in lfg stating name/number and asking for help and an opener.

Edited by Dayra.7405

54 minutes ago, TristanTzara.4628 said:

Hello. I am looking to complete the Season 1 achievements (so I can I get Old Lion's Arch) but part of this involves doing certain fractals. I have never done one in my life (despite playing this game for a number of years) and so am a little puzzled by the whole system. Can I just clarify - it appears I have to start at the beginning with the first fractal and cannot jump to the ones I need to complete the achievements, is that right? I went to the panel inside the Fractal's Lobby and all options apart from the first were greyed out and could not be selected. So I have to do them all until I get to ones I want? Sorry if this sounds silly.

Try this "LF Opener XX fractal, achievement". T1 doesn't require agony resistance and extremely easy to duo or more.

1 hour ago, TristanTzara.4628 said:

joining a formal group

Fraktal Dayilies aren't really more formal than meeting at a group-event in open-world.

If there is conversation at all, it's "Hi, <your role>" (Role 1-2 of dps, quik, alac, heal) on join and a tbx/bye on exit.

And as T1 Fraktals are beginner fraktals, there aren't many expectations.

Edited by Dayra.7405

1 hour ago, TristanTzara.4628 said:

Thanks for these replies. I've heard that early fractals can quite easily be soloed, but in order to do this then I would have to start right at the beginning, right? It sounds stupid I know, but I'm rather shy about joining a formal group (hence why I haven't done fractals yet!).

Just join t1 daily groups. Go to LA, open lfg and join t1 daily. Do all 3 or 4, dont leave early. If you can get a few agony infusions for the higher lvl t1 fracs thats good. If you cant, thats also fine. 

Some fractals can be soloed, some cant because mechanics. First time soloing will be a needless annoyance and lots of time spent. Just join lfg group. 

T1 fractals are easy, fun and noone expects anything from you. 

I agree. Moreover, this might actually be a great opportunity to gain some confidence 😉
T1 fractals are very easy and if you just say "hi" you are good to go. From my experience, it is also no problem at all if you say you are new to fractals. In T1, no need for roles really. I would suggest that you just join a group even if it is not "your" fractal just to see how it goes. It will progress your personal fractal lvls as well.

Fractals are not designed to be soloed. At T1 is is probably possible but it takes very long and probably fails.

Join a T1 group and complete the fractals with them. They are quite easy at the first difficulty tier so you don't need to fit any requirements for your build/gear.

Best is to find a progression group that just completes them in order but you probably will not find any. So probably join any daily group and play whatever ones are daily. In this way, you will have played all of them in one or two weeks.

After that you will need to get some agony resistance which is required for Tier 2 and upwards. You also need ascended or legendary gear for this because agony resistance infusions can only be placed in this gear.