GW2 Installer stops download randomly and for good [Merged]

I'm having the same problem. The download speed fluctuates wildly, until I get to 5% -- then it goes to 0KB/sec and completely stops. I've made multiple attempts now. 

I'm not using some 3rd-party tool and jumping through hoops to download your game. I download and install software from Steam, Activision Blizzard, and other companies every month, without issue.  

Edited by Positropic.3956
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Positropic.3956 said:

I'm having the same problem. The download speed fluctuates wildly, until I get to 5% -- then it goes to 0KB/sec and completely stops. I've made multiple attempts now. 

I'm not using some 3rd-party tool and jumping through hoops to download your game. I download and install software from Steam, Activision Blizzard, and other companies every month, without issue.  

Sorry but kind of agree with them.

End users shouldn't have to be jumping through hoops, altering host files and using cmd prompt (or even turning QoS off in network adapter settings) just to get a product to work.  Not when it seems to be this wide spread.

I wanted to start playing again after a long break and ran into the same issue, which led me here.  I used a combination of things + target line instructions to get my download working properly, but the point still stands.

8 minutes ago, Void.1806 said:

I wanted to start playing again after a long break and ran into the same issue, which led me here.  I used a combination of things + target line instructions to get my download working properly, but the point still stands.

What did you do to solve it?
We are having the same issue here this very minute. It first stoped at 7% and we tried an other download server, i think it was german. And it stoped again. We went back and now it stopes at 4%.

I have my game sorted as I have had it downloaded already, but my boyfriend who wants to have a go after having a long break just cant get the game downloaded again 😞

20 minutes ago, Muffin.5208 said:

What did you do to solve it?
We are having the same issue here this very minute. It first stoped at 7% and we tried an other download server, i think it was german. And it stoped again. We went back and now it stopes at 4%.

I have my game sorted as I have had it downloaded already, but my boyfriend who wants to have a go after having a long break just cant get the game downloaded again 😞

1.) Follow the instructions here: https://imgur.com/a/8HA67lK
2.) Go to control panel > network and sharing > change adapter settings -- right click the network adapter you're using > properties, turn off QoS Packet Scheduler

3.) Right click your GW2 desktop icon > properties > add  -patchconnections 20  at the end of the target field, after the last "

This will direct your connection to download from the main arenanet server, bypassing the patch servers which seem to be what is having an issue.  The download will be slower, but stable.  Turning QoS Packet Scheduler off will help prevent the breaks between all the small files you're downloading.  Added patchconnections will allow for more connections to the server at once which will help your speed, but it will still fluctuate a bit and not be fully utilizing your download speed because the main arenanet server limits download because it's meant for 'playing the game' which doesn't require a lot of download to accomplish.

If none of that works, an alternative is to download GW2 using Steam, going into the GW2 folder in Steam after it's done, and copying Gw2.dat to your Arenanet version location for GW2.

EDIT:  Make sure you reverse everything you did with cmd prompt and QoS once the game is done downloading.
EDIT 2: Switching language to 'kick' the downloaded back into gear isn't a horrible option either if you're seeing high peak download speeds.  The % is irrelevant, you want to look at 'files left' to the right of it.  So if you keep switching languages and get 11% > switch > 4% > switch > 3% you've actually downloaded 17% of the total files.
EDIT 3: English not first language

Edited by Void.1806
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Void.1806 said:

2.) Go to control panel > network and sharing > change adapter settings -- right click the network adapter you're using > properties, turn off QoS Packet Scheduler

3.) Right click your GW2 desktop icon > properties > add  -patchconnections 20  at the end of the target field, after the last "

Thank you soo much after 5 days of pulling my hair out, you information helped me get a completed down load.

I didnt do the CMD thing tho, and had to get my microsoft account unband ( btw I didnt even know it was abnned untill the GW team sugested to make a second account.

Any way dont give guys like I was about to do, the fellow gamers in guild wars 2 aree the best of the best thank you once again Void.1806😊

This help me with the same problem. go have a try check out that forum topic.

Launcher stopped Downloading [Merged]

1.) Follow the instructions here: https://imgur.com/a/8HA67lK

This will direct your connection to download from the main arenanet server, bypassing the patch servers which seem to be what is having an issue.  The download will be slower, but stable.  Turning QoS Packet Scheduler off will help prevent the breaks between all the small files you're downloading.  Added patchconnections will allow for more connections to the server at once which will help your speed, but it will still fluctuate a bit and not be fully utilizing your download speed because the main arenanet server limits download because it's meant for 'playing the game' which doesn't require a lot of download to accomplish.

• Haha 1

Been experiencing this issue all weekend. I've tried a few of the solutions offered here. Nothing works. For the record: 

▪︎ I've downloaded and played this game fine in the past. Never had this issue before. 

▪︎ I still have the same computer as before. 

▪︎ I still have the same internet service provider (Spectrum).

▪︎ I'm still in the same house. 

▪︎ I still have the same modem/router. 

▪︎ I still have no problems downloading and installing software from other companies, including Blizzard, Steam, Nvidia, Corsair, Logitech, Google, Microsoft, and dozens of others. 

▪︎ The notion that the problem is on my end is clown-car logic. 

I've spent several hundred dollars on content in this game that I currently cannot access. It needs to be fixed. 

Edited by Positropic.3956
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just to throw my hat into the ring.  Having the exact same problem.  I played the game a few years back.  Replaced the harddrive since then to a SSD.  That's been about 2 years since replacing the harddrive.  I have extremely fast internet, pc built for gaming (no issues with any other game).

I was able to download enough to play the starter area.  PITA

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Positropic.3956 said:

Been experiencing this issue all weekend. I've tried a few of the solutions offered here. Nothing works. For the record: 

▪︎ I've downloaded and played this game fine in the past. Never had this issue before. 

▪︎ I still have the same computer as before. 

▪︎ I still have the same internet service provider (Spectrum).

▪︎ I'm still in the same house. 

▪︎ I still have the same modem/router. 

▪︎ I still have no problems downloading and installing software from other companies, including Blizzard, Steam, Nvidia, Corsair, Logitech, Google, Microsoft, and dozens of others. 

▪︎ The notion that the problem is on my end is clown-car logic. 

I've spent several hundred dollars on content in this game that I currently cannot access. It needs to be fixed. 

1 hour ago, Jackyl.5017 said:

Just to throw my hat into the ring.  Having the exact same problem.  I played the game a few years back.  Replaced the harddrive since then to a SSD.  That's been about 2 years since replacing the harddrive.  I have extremely fast internet, pc built for gaming (no issues with any other game).

I was able to download enough to play the starter area.  PITA

I've had the same problem, I followed the steps of this reddit post and it fixed it for me .

If this still doesn't work for you guys, you could download via steam and follow the instructions written here on the forum to play on the steam version with your arena.net account.

Edited by Keyblader.2195
  • Haha 1

I decided to reinstall the game but the launcher stopped downloading the game a bit below the playable state. It was downloading relatively fine, around 3-4 mb/s, tho my internet speed is much higher, then I checked and I saw it stopped. I restarted it, it started to download some KB/s then it slowed down and stopped again. I'm using the very same PC I played the game before, with the same OS and stuff.

Win 11 Pro 22H2

I'm using standalone client, not the steam one, if it's any different.

I saw someone else's  post here suggesting turning of QoS Packet Scheduler, but it didn't work for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same issue here. Win11 Pro (22621.1631)

Workaround that worked for me: Restart the installer, then it will continue the download for a while until it stops again. Close it and restart it again until you are finally able to enter the game.

But even then I am stuck in loading screens at times (I guess because it stops downloading the map there too) and have to restart the game until it hopefully completed the whole game download at some point.

• Like 1

The RNG solution is to just keep restarting GW2. It picks random servers to download from and there's potentially hundreds, so chances are one works. You can get even more servers by changing DNS providers.

Alternatively, you can manually pick a server to download from. The primary server is guaranteed to work, as long as you have a stable connection to the east coast US, but it will naturally be a lot slower. To manually select the server, you have to modify the hosts file:

https://imgur.com/a/8HA67lK
(current IP is 34.234.22.146 or 34.233.107.24)

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Have you tried deleting the Gw2-64.exe and then renaming the Gw2-64.tmp into Gw2-64.exe?

You only do this when you have the "this app can't run on your PC" error. If you do this when you don't have the error, you'll be renaming a 0 byte file to an exe, which will cause the error.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

You only do this when you have the "this app can't run on your PC" error. If you do this when you don't have the error, you'll be renaming a 0 byte file to an exe, which will cause the error.

Ah, okay. Good to know! Fortunately, I never had to do it myself, therefore I don't have personal experience with this.

• Confused 2