GW2 Installer stops download randomly and for good [Merged]

same problem here bought the 2 first expansion packs years ago but never eneded up playing the game but was bored and remembered this game and decided to finally try this, tried all the reddit tricks and toks and sacrifises to the rng gods but nah downloads like 200 mb and then the download goes back to 0kb/sec, and since i got like 600 000 files to download cba to restart the launcher trillion times

Edited by Elyxes.3156
  • Thanks 1

Was kind of stoked getting back into the game again as my non-gamer wife was finally keen on trying out an MMORPG with me. Figured this game would be the perfect one for her to start with, as I remember it being very 'coop' and 'new player' friendly (I stopped playing after HoT)...

But then for our enthusiasm at the thought of playing after work today kind of nipped in the bud for something as silly as this. Kind of a bummer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great timing. For almost a year I've been trying to get my friend into trying the game with me and literally yesterday he finally told me that he changed his mind and wants to try. Now he can't install the game. Not a great impression at all. And no, I can't get him to spend time fiddling with his hosts file and arcane installer options after already having wasted a few hours. I was planning to gift him the complete collection for his birthday but as it stands now, that's not gonna happen. I lost someone to play with and you lost a customer.

• Thanks 1

Game said a new build was available a few hours ago , so I went to download and restart. 
Now game is stuck downloading at 0/kbs a second as wont seem to keep going past a point. 
Any way to work around this? 
Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luty.5719 said:

I thought of downloading the game through Steam but I don't want to lose the expansions I already have.

To be clear, you can install the game using Steam but don't run it from Steam.  Create a desktop shortcut to Gw2-64.exe in the Steam library and run that.  Then you can log in to any old ArenaNet account and bypass Steam.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, xlion.3065 said:

Running a/the game as an administrator is not a solution but a mistake. Suggesting this is irresponsible even though it's clear that you simply have no clue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_privilege

No need to be rude.  It seemed to be helping and I have now downloaded the game with no other issues. 

On top of that, I didn't even suggest it!  I only said it worked for me.  Go after the dude that posted the idea in the first place.  🙃

Have the day you deserve.  Thanks!

Edited by demi.9183
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Peachy.9723 said:

Its incredibly frustrating the lack of transparency in the matter with ArenaNet. Almost feel like this is my sign to quit playing.

wondering why arent they undo the patch completely. theres an issue in game for the last 7-8 hours as well. seems like they are insisting to not undo it and whats that problem got to do with skill nerfs, i dont understand

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shinjin.2683 said:

I even uninstalled because I thought the problem was on my end. But I've done speedtests and everything it must be on their server side. 

I did the same. 
My only guess is that 1000+ people like us trying to re- download all at once but... Im far from an expert xD

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Nokkun.2493 said:

Even the steam download is freezing.

Note Steam doesn't download the full game, it downloads an old copy that needs to be patched, and all patches are through ArenaNet, not Steam.

The most common problem with it getting stuck downloading is caused by the server itself - there's a problem with Amazon's CDN that's causing it to cut off the end of files. Each server has many servers behind it, so it's possible to just restart GW2 (wait a minute) and hope you randomly get one that works, or you can manually select a server.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Peachy.9723 said:

Its incredibly frustrating the lack of transparency in the matter with ArenaNet.

This is my main issue with the whole situation. 

I work in tech and these things happen (sometimes all too often lol), but to have nothing from Anet is bothersome.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Casskade.7152 said:

This is my main issue with the whole situation. 

I work in tech and these things happen (sometimes all too often lol), but to have nothing from Anet is bothersome.

Right?  I used to work in tech too and if my CDN behaved this way I'd be in trouble.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

To be clear, you can install the game using Steam but don't run it from Steam.  Create a desktop shortcut to Gw2-64.exe in the Steam library and run that.  Then you can log in to any old ArenaNet account and bypass Steam.

Thanks for the help, I was able to download the game, I ran the launcher through the .exe from the local folder. The error persists, and I also cannot open it directly through Steam, the same error occurs. I managed to download the game through Steam but when opening the launcher both through steam and through the .exe, the connection error occurs again, the same problem but now in a different way

Edited by Luty.5719
  • Thanks 1

Just stopping by to say I'm having the same issue. Returning player, wanted to hop in and see what all has changed. Very ridiculous that this hasn't been resolved. I've tried every workaround posted and the only thing that seems to work consistently is restarting the launcher, which I'd have to do 30+ times or so based on my download progress.

The average user has no business mucking around with system files and settings like what's been suggested. I'm almost tempted to say that Anet really doesn't care and would rather everyone switch to using Steam. I personally am not a fan of having all my games and whatnot tied to a single account that could be taken away at a moment's notice, so I like to have standalone game accounts where possible. Glad I held off on actually purchasing the one expansion I'm missing, otherwise I'd be asking for a refund.

Edited by ViviTheMage.3521
  • Thanks 1

Same thing is happening to me. It seems to be downloading something, but the percentage never rises and the file number never decreases. I am currently stuck on 78,728 files left to go with no sign that anything is going to change. This problem started this afternoon, and now that it's getting late I haven't been able to coax it into doing anything. Changing the language looked promising until it got stuck again, and changing back and forth since has yielded no further promise. After coming back from a fairly lengthy hiatus, this is not encouraging at all.

Also, looking through this thread I cannot believe how long this has been going on for with no word from the company.  I'm guessing no fix is forthcoming. For shame!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

Note Steam doesn't download the full game, it downloads an old copy that needs to be patched, and all patches are through ArenaNet, not Steam.

The most common problem with it getting stuck downloading is caused by the server itself - there's a problem with Amazon's CDN that's causing it to cut off the end of files. Each server has many servers behind it, so it's possible to just restart GW2 (wait a minute) and hope you randomly get one that works, or you can manually select a server.

I noticed this, and as many other people have pointed out, you can constantly close and open the game when it get stuck downloading to get "more progress". The problem, is having to do this every 1-2min, as that's the average time it takes for my download to get stuck. 

On the upside, I've contacted support and they are trying to help with the issue. If I find a way to fix it, I'll share it here.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nokkun.2493 said:

I noticed this, and as many other people have pointed out, you can constantly close and open the game when it get stuck downloading to get "more progress". The problem, is having to do this every 1-2min, as that's the average time it takes for my download to get stuck. 

On the upside, I've contacted support and they are trying to help with the issue. If I find a way to fix it, I'll share it here.

You can reduce the need to restart by increasing the number of files it downloads, which will effectively push the stuck files to the end. By default, GW2 downloads 10 files at a time. Each time it gets stuck on a file, it's reducing the number of files it can download at the same time by 1 until it's completely stuck on 10 files and can make no further progress. Increase it to 20 (or more) by launching with: -patchconnections 20

Support can't help you. They'll only tell you what's already been posted. To avoid this problem, you have to use the primary server, but it'll be much slower, so it should only be used as a last resort.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

You can reduce the need to restart by increasing the number of files it downloads, which will effectively push the stuck files to the end. By default, GW2 downloads 10 files at a time. Each time it gets stuck on a file, it's reducing the number of files it can download at the same time by 1 until it's completely stuck on 10 files and can make no further progress. Increase it to 20 (or more) by launching with: -patchconnections 20

Support can't help you. They'll only tell you what's already been posted. To avoid this problem, you have to use the primary server, but it'll be much slower, so it should only be used as a last resort.

I'll just keep insisting on this method, then. I'm not computer savvy enough to keep making  changes on the cmd and I might screw up something if I keep doing so.

As last resort, I'll go through the primary server over night or something. Again, thanks so much for all the help you've been providing to the community! 

• Sad 1

Has anyone figured this out? I've tried the CMD thing and I always get a connection error if I try to switch patch servers?
I've been opening and closing the launcher to get it to work but now it's just stuck at a standstill and only loading one -3 files at a time upon opening and closing.

My ports are open, I believe, firewall has been toggled, nothing 😞

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

That'll happen if you use an old IP. It's currently 34.234.22.146 or 34.233.107.24

Thank you so much for the patch servers!
Unfortunatly it's still not working, and remains frozen at this:
https://gyazo.com/23a5dfc21cdb62a6a0c5d24f94cc4cc5

It's been stuck around 200,526 remaining files for about an hour, though will download 1-3 if I close and re-open the launcher. 
I'm not sure what's gone wrong, but it sure is something rofl.

• Thanks 1