Would Magnet make for a better skill as an AOE pull?

Would Magnet make for a better skill as an AOE pull? WvW/spvp/pve  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would Magnet make for a better skill as an AOE pull?

• Yes
    • No
    • other/elaborated answer

Curious to see what people think about magnet on the Toolkit. Personally Id prefer if core engi had some sort of aoe pull other than speedy kits+bomb kit.  I think magnet would be  astrong contender for this. 
The reason Im asking this is because I suspect some players might find the single target pull usefull. I however, am not convinced it fullfills a usefull purpose other than yeeting people away from 1200 range. An aoe pull would synergise better with the rest of the kit aswell as making movement more fluid since you wouldnt have to face your oponent everytime.

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I don't think it's the right contender for an aoe pull, one of the bomb skill or even one of the mortar skills would be more appropriate for this. It is already quite good as a single target 1200 range pull.

Interesting. I would like to see a larger variety of skills on both bomb and mortar kit rahter than just a bunch of combo fields

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

I would go with AoE, but in a cone. Depending on the distance, the pull distance can be
- 100 % if you are within 600 range
- 80 % if you are within 800 range
- 50 % if you are within 1,200 range
with appropriate defiance scaling of course. 

Anet manager: "Quick we need a new skill for the engineer, what are we going to do? A new reliable damage skill? A consistent defensive skill?"

Anet dev:"... how about an invisible cone attack with multiple random effects based on a distance you cant see? And we can add a 33% hit chance trait to it!"

Anet manager: "Fantastic, your purity of purpose deserves a raise!"

Not engineer players suggesting this too, sigh...

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

They should replace Glue Bomb with the Streamlined Kits skill. That's the perfect contender for an AoE pull imo. 

I was thinking about streamlined kits the other day and how much of a pain it can be to use with the 20s icd.  Would be neat to just add to/modify the effects on the toolbelt skills.  Make it simpler to actually use, while keeping the same/similar effects.  So in this case BoB just inverts pulling in.  I would like some effects modified to lean more Condi since it already competes with a power focused trait.  So maybe Grenade Barrage gets bleeding instead of dropping a mine.  Orbital strike now leaves a radiation field identical to Drop Gunk.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm fine with Magnet the way it is now. The only thing I would change would be reducing its cast time by like 0.25 seconds, but nothing else.

On the other hand, I would like to see a proper AoE pull for Engineers, because our only option at the moment is Hard Light Arenas toolbelt skill, which has a relatively small range, with an underwhelming utility skill attached to it.
The missing Gadged elite would be a good place to put that AoE pull, if we ever get it. (next expac? wink wink nudge nudge) If it would be too opressive on elite specs, it could be put on the new skills toolbelt slot, so only Core can access it.

I don't think AoE pulls are done well in this game. They tend to be invisible or obscured by terrain, and just feel bad to be on the other end of. "I got pulled by what??" (eg. Mesmer, Reaper) Meanwhile, Magnet is actually pretty fair by comparison. It draws a line to the single target *before* it hits them, and gives them plenty of time to react. This is appropriate for something that is a huge loss of control in a PvP or WvW scenario where positioning is everything.

If any CC needs a bump, I'd agree with @Kuma.1503 , others, that it's Glue Bomb (and Glue Shot). A single short immob doesn't do much any more - certainly not for how much risk you take trying to land either of them.

• Like 1

It's not a bad idea, but I'd say making it into an AOE should either reduce it's range by far making it into something like Prismatic Singularity from Holo, or it shouldn't be focused on the source player and just be an AOE pull on a set location. Having the ability to pull in 5 targets at 1200 range while being unblockable and on 20 secs cooldown is out of the question, I don't think any of us want a pull worse than Spectral grasp, that one is already too much. 

Edited by jason.1083