Virtuoso: Barrier instead of block

Kiro Kobra.6478

Regarding the June 27th Patch Preview...

Bladeturn Requiem's block removal is trash, garbage, smooth-brained. Sure, it can be OP in some PvP situations, but you're throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Did I emphasize enough how crappy this change is? Bye-bye PvE survivability!

Our only option for solo PvE is Staff Mirage, and... No, no that's it. Staff Mirage.

How about we get some Barrier on Virtuoso instead? That way we have some survivability against multiple attacks while simultaneously keeping us vulnerable to heavy-hitting attacks. This would fulfill the PvP dilemma and retain some much-needed survivability. 

Give Bladeturn Requiem a barrier since the animation would already make sense, and maybe change the trait "Jagged Mind" to generate barrier instead of healing.

In the current meta, Virtuoso is literally unkillable when our abilities are off cooldown, but we also melt like a snowball in hell the very second we run out of utility skills.

Replacing block and Jagged Mind's heal with barrier would be the best middle-ground.

Freaking do it!

Edited by Kiro Kobra.6478
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would prefer an short or even single hit block than barrier.

All the class synergy spine bone to bocks for the dagger generation. Mesmer traits out ofVirtuoso are balanced for clones…

Changing from 3 clones to 5 daggers make the general purpose core Mesmer traits insufficient to refill fast and force Virtuoso way to be reliant to generate the extra push on daggers generation within its trait line. To do that you need evades or blocks. That is why I think that barrier doesn’t synergies with the trait line or even the concept of Virtuoso.

That’s why a single attack block or evade would synergy better with the class that any amount of barrier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ApaWanka.2698 said:

All the class synergy spine bone to bocks for the dagger generation. Mesmer traits out ofVirtuoso are balanced for clones…

Changing from 3 clones to 5 daggers make the general purpose core Mesmer traits insufficient to refill fast and force Virtuoso way to be reliant to generate the extra push on daggers generation within its trait line. To do that you need evades or blocks. That is why I think that barrier doesn’t synergies with the trait line or even the concept of Virtuoso.

That’s why a single attack block or evade would synergy better with the class that any amount of barrier.

F5 still gives aegis when traited. His suggestion coincides with yours, barrier + 1 block

Edited by WhoWantsAHug.3186
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ApaWanka.2698 said:

The trait Bladeturn Refrain accomplishes this, which is in the same row as Jagged Mind, the trait that I am suggesting should generate barrier instead of healing.

So if you prefer block on Bladesong use, this is absolutely an option and wouldn't conflict with your choice.

In fact, I think if Bladeturn Requiem generated base barrier as a compromise for ANet removing the base block, Bladeturn Refrain would be the perfect companion and still well balanced.

See, the current "problem" that ANet sees with Bladeturn Requiem is that the block ticks several times, allowing us to block multiple attacks. If this skill instead generated a small amount of barrier in addition to a SINGLE block from Bladeturn Refrain, this would not only be a much-needed nerf in PvP, but it would simultaneously provide some much-needed damage mitigation from multiple/small attacks thanks to the accompanying barrier.

As an added bonus to PvP balance, I also want to just mention that barrier DOES NOT prevent CC and other movement impairing effects . It is purely damage mitigation. Honestly giving Virt barrier seems like such a no-brainer here.

A note on Jagged Mind generating barrier: It  wouldn't be OP at all, since it would require landing attacks to generate in the first place, while Bladeturn Refrain is basically an on-demand block that requires no target. I guess in summary, barrier is still the PERFECT and most reasonable solution to Virt's "swingy" survivability in ALL game modes.

Edited by Kiro Kobra.6478
added clarification