Help me settle for a Profession

Wolin.3914

Welcome to yet another help me find a class post. 😅

I'm a new player trying to find a profession to main. When I get into an MMO, even if it is easy to get alts, I like to start by exploring the game and all the activities it offers with a class I main and put the more love and time into, I've been trying for some time to figure out what profession it would be, trying some, looking at videos and stuff, however I think there is nothing like first hand input from more experienced players.

The professions I ended up liking or catching my attention are:

Mesmer and Elementalist, both are light armor which, if I understood correctly, would make it easier for me if I want to jump from one to the other at a later point, mesmer I kind of like the theme of it and it's specializations, and elementalist I like all the options it has with the attunements, however the feedback I got looking around is it's a profession that requires a lot of effort to get the same results than the rest, and that is kind of pushing me back of it.

Revenant and Guardian are kind of the same situation as mesmer and ele regarding armor. The issue here is, even if I like overall the whole concept of the revenant, I only like the firebrand concept of the guardian, since I enjoy playing support. However, I've heard it can get boring quickly.

Overall, what I want from the main profession I pick is that it's viable in all or most of the content. By viable I mean it has some build/spec that can perform it, and I'm not going to get kicked before even getting into the content because the profession /specs are perceived as underperforming, let me clarify that I'm not asking for the top performing, just for it performing enough to not to get locked out, as I've seen it happen in other MMOs. Also, I value the profession being stable over the different patches. I know there is a big one in a few days, however I value a lot that, so far, the profession in any of the specializations/builds has been consistently in a decent position on most of the content. I'm a new player and I know it's going to take me some time to get to the endgame, since I play chill with my first character exploring the game and it's content, so I don't want to find myself in a situation where down the line I find out I spent months "caring" for a character that is kind of useless.

Edited by Wolin.3914

• Wolin.3914 changed the title to Help me settle for a Profession

Id personally recommend elementalist if you're interested in focusing on a main character. Viable in all gamemodes and one of the biggest role/playstyle diversity. Skill floor of ele is relatively high, but if you're somewhat decent at videogames you should be fine. Both necro and mesmer are also in an amazing spot rn, so easy to swap to alternative light classes later on the road. 

From the ones in light armor Mesmer (mainly Mirage) is the spec which is easier to play in relation to the effort that demands for the performance that delivcers. Hizen has soloed every legendary bounty in the game just with Mirage and a couple of staffs. ç

In heavy armor both Rev and Guard have plenty of flavour. Guardian used to be the best ("go to") for any game mode, specially at instanced contet, in which his array of tools fit any need. BUT albeit still very good both DH and WB are a bit one-dimensional. I enjoy them at PvP and roaming, but at OW they have some clear weakness.

By contrast, Rev builds are brutally effective in OW, very solid in WvW and ok at PvP (after 7+ years of Herald dominance there's no longer a Rev "meta" for PvP, but the specs are still very capable).

I would say also that for leveling a new character with no boosters or tomes the easier of the named would be Mesmer>Guardian>Ele/Rev, but once you get the specs Rev and Mesmers are stronger/easeir to play and deliver more punch in most game modes. 

Thank you all for the replies, right now with this info, and having trying them a bit on the pvp lobby I feel like it's a choice between mesmer and revenant, which I kind of like both, so it feels kind hard to commit to one of them.

8 hours ago, Wolin.3914 said:

Thank you all for the replies, right now with this info, and having trying them a bit on the pvp lobby I feel like it's a choice between mesmer and revenant, which I kind of like both, so it feels kind hard to commit to one of them.

Even though this game pushes me (a person who prefers to play with one character) to play different professions, my favorite was, is and I am sure will be - Revenant. No matter how I try to convince myself (including with the help of others) that, for example, Mesmer is more interesting or has better survivability, or the color of skills is prettier, I always return to Revenant and play it 70% of the time, leaving 30% for my other three characters. Give the Revenant a chance, feel its lore, and I'm sure you'll like it. At the very worst, it will at least leave you with positive emotions.

Edited by Antrix.4512

If we're talking about all game modes, Revenant is the superior option.  It has better builds in PVP/WvW, whereas Mesmer is currently lagging in those departments.  From a PVE perspective, it bears mentioning that Mesmer has a very large toolbox of skills to handle many situations, while Revenant's Toolbox is much more limited.  If I'm heading into unknown PVE territory and had to pick between the two, I'd go with Mesmer because it is certain to have the utilities to handle the situation.  

Just to give this thread a conclusion, and after giving some testing to both on the pvp lobby I've decided to go with Revenant, I like the theme, I find the energy management and legend swaping fun and I'm glad to hear the role option and viability is currently pretty versatile.

Is good tho, to know that mesmer is a good and valid second option to swap, in case I end up disliking revenant, or want to have an alter down the line.

Again, thank you all for sharing you knowledge and finding the time to do it.♥️

• Like 2

Ah, you think you want to play the Elementalist or the Mesmer or the Revenant or the Guardian, but I say nay! Your mind deceived you! It whispers lies and tries to convince you that the fire burning in you heart, the one that pulls you towards the path of truth and righteousness and slaughter is but an illusion. My brother, forsake the voices in your head!

For should you find yourself craving to know the how it feels as you walk through the impotent magics of your enemies and shatter their  hopes and dreams and skulls, you know what profession you must choose. If you wish for the armies of Anet to assemble on the field of battle beneath you, seeking to chain you down and limit your glory, if you wish to feel the ecstasy of those who match against you flee in terror when you turn your list for blood upon them, if you wish to feel the ripping of sinew and shattering of bones, if you wish to drench yourself in the blood of your enemies and turn fields red with the carnage that you secretly long for deep within your heart, then you know what profession you must choose!

I tell you, my brother of war, take up thine sword and begin along the path of the Warrior! For it is the one that leads to heights that the inferior professions can’t even dream of, and when you get there, you will plant your foot upon the clouds and begin climbing your way into the sky, into the heavens, beyond gods and dragons, beyond infinity and reality, into the infinite unknown where endless seas of foes wait to be conquered.

So my brother, you have been mistaken this whole time. The only choice is Warrior.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1