I am not seeing the professions that everyone calls out as OP, why is that?

Stinson.2796

When I read these forums or see a tier list, I hear over and over that Cele Harbinger, Cata's, dead eyes, and riffle zerkers are so OP that they are breaking the game. I have only been playing the game for four months, so I am not going to disagree with anyone that says this, but in all my years of playing PVP in different MMOs, the OP specs are like ants and all over the place because well, everyone wants easy mode.

This blows me away because I never see these specs; they are so rare that I am surprised when I see one or two. Harbinger of any kind, I see plenty of Necro, but they are reapers and scourges. I see more core necroes than Harbingers. I also see a lot of Elementalist, but they are all tempests and weavers. 

Rangers of all kinds are running amuck and are annoying as hell; tons of dragon hunters and willbenders (but they get run over a lot, sure there is the occasional roamer that sneaks up and blasts someone before they are nuked into the ground.) Mesmer's that everyone says are just bad in PVP; I can never go without seeing a ton of Chronmancers and Virtuoso.

Firebrand is another class that I occasionally see in Zergs, but there is more support from every other profession.

This has been my experience roaming, Zerging, and instance PVP; I am not seeing what players and these tier lists are constantly pointing out.  

Again, I am not saying these people are wrong. I like and appreciate Vullun's content, and nobody seems like a skillful player, and they are obviously seeing these classes and naming them as meta; I find it odd that I do not have the same experience. Even the meta battle site has a similar tier list.

I am still learning, so gold PVP is common at the moment (no doubt things change higher up), and I am 410 in WVW, so quite a bit of playtime for how long I have been playing GW2 but nothing like the vets in this game.

I am on the Crystal Desert server. Does anyone know why I might have a different experience and not see the OP specs? Is this the first MMO I have been a part of that people tend to avoid the know OP specs? That would be good to know as well.

Honest curiosity will more time bring these classes to constant light.

If I can go to a place where rangers of all specs are not rampant and annoying as hell, please let me know; good god, druids, untamed, and soul beasts are by far the most played professions when I play. If I had a gold piece for every one of these classes, I would be rich.

Edited by Stinson.2796
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Welcome to the forums, where every profession your enemy plays is OP, and every profession you main is dead. 

Sounds stupid, but that´s the reality of the forums. A very small minority is able/willing to accept, that the enemy they couldn´t beat may just be better at the game. 

You  also seem to mix up zerging and roaming. those are two entirely differnt styles of play, with a completely different meta, and different builds being used. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Thank you for the reply; that sounds like a strong possibility about the forums.

You  also seem to mix up zerging and roaming. those are two entirely differnt styles of play, with a completely different meta, and different builds being used. 

I roam alone, zerg in large groups, small party roams, and instance PVP. I was trying to mention the professions I regularly see, in Zergs, roaming, and Instance PVP. I could have broken them out better, but I was trying to say that no matter how I play, I don't really see the profession that people constantly call OP, which seems odd.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Stinson.2796 said:

I am on the Crystal Desert server. Does anyone know why I might have a different experience and not see the OP specs? Is this the first MMO I have been a part of that people tend to avoid the know OP specs? That would be good to know as well.

Honest curiosity will more time bring these classes to constant light.

If I can go to a place where rangers of all specs are not rampant and annoying as hell, please let me know; good god, druids, untamed, and soul beasts are by far the most played professions when I play. If I had a gold piece for every one of these classes, I would be rich.

How much time have you spent roaming in EBG against Mag in your current match with 0.53 KDR?

The Mag zergs are horrible, and I typically try not to roam around them; even if I kill a player or so, it's hard not to get mowed over by the blob; I'm still new and fall for stupid ploys or get greedy and don't just let them get away until I run around a corner with a blob. You would think I would have learned that lesson from Warhammer Online, but I still get greedy.

I typically try to get with another Zerg group to fight them or go to another zone to try and avoid them if I want to roam. But I still don't really see Harbinger's, Cata's, or dead eyes with Mag. Necro's for sure, Ele's for sure, and thieves, but few of those specializations; they seem rare compared to the other flavors—lots of magnets and boon balls.

With Mag, you will be assimilated; resistance is futile. Everyone seems to hate them, but even though they are annoying, it doesn't seem to be anything that ArenaNet doesn't allow.

But I am not trying to cause any ill will with this question; it could be simply the server rotations or the times I play that prevent me from seeing these OP specializations. It could also be that long-time players avoid them, but that goes with my question. I honestly don't know. I just found it interesting that the specializations high in the meta list and get a lot of hate; I rarely see, except for Daredevil, I see a lot of Daredevil, and everyone puts them at S tier for Roaming Meta, and it's easy to see why.

It seems like many people play what they like, and that's awesome.

Anyone else just run from the pistol-pistol celestial Daredevil? I don't want any of that, lol. 

Edited by Stinson.2796
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

You won't find the "OP" builds in squads/zergs. They don't give much to the team, so they aren't meta in squads. If it isn't just a ppt zerg or one that just wins by numbers, then they have roles like support, heal and damage. Are tasked with strip boons or spread conditions, help the team with stability, reflect, pull etc

Roamer builds won't help there, also in a hostile zerg they die quickly because they usually have a high mobility and use it, but in teamplay it is important to stick together because the support skills have a short range around the supporter.

I play wvw every day too, I don't roam much though and have no roamer build. I don't pick an "OP" build because it's a hassle to play. You need to know your traits and cooldowns and rotations very well. Also 1vs1 doesn't entertain me at all. It bores me. I mostly go for teamplay, capturing and killing.
Just what wvw is for and stands for.
But the roamers that gank people are annoying. I don't know who complains most about then, other roamers or ppl that actually don't want to bother with roamers and just get disturbed in their way?
I dislike thieves. Don't have a prob with the ones you named because I also don't see or meet them often or when I do it is not memorable enough to stick.

And every x months something else gets complained about. Be it condition, engi or cele. Imo thieves are an on-going topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

In wvw most players don't rely on builds (or skill) - they rely on numbers (and that's also what the game mode rewards the most). So many play whatever they want without much consideration for it's effectiveness.

And ranger in particular is fairly easy and save to play at low skill lvl (again - the majority in WvW), because players can just pew pew at others from the safety of walls, zergs, numbers and so on and on the other side of the bow many don't know how to deal with that. The better the players on both sides (and the larger the zergs) the less effective pew pew rangers become. (Cele) Slb is still pretty strong for small scale tho, just not as common. Because those, just like cele harb, cata, wb and so on shine more in even or outnumbered small scale fights - but that's not what the majority of players is looking for or capable of doing - in the end even the most op build doesn't play itself.

That being said, i do run into a fair amount of harbs, catas and wb, wouldn't say they are particular rare at all.

Edited by Zyreva.1078
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stinson.2796 said:

Thank you for the reply; that sounds like a strong possibility about the forums.

I roam alone, zerg in large groups, small party roams, and instance PVP. I was trying to mention the professions I regularly see, in Zergs, roaming, and Instance PVP. I could have broken them out better, but I was trying to say that no matter how I play, I don't really see the profession that people constantly call OP, which seems odd.

I suggest that you play at more then one server or World before making any judgement about what profession that can be over performing.

From my own experience by playing on Gandara and Aurora Glade (both on EU), I have meet enough of Catalyst that seem to have very good defence and at same time chuck out large amount of condition damage with some strike damage.

There are professions right now that are a bit too much over performing depending what yourself are playing (as an Engineer or Scrapper even with condition removal from tool belt I can not remove that many condition at once or when they get very fast reapplied).

In a group zerg vs zerg catalyst will still be powerfull, but not as much as Engineer or Scrapper now adds into the chaos with fields, boons and sometimes boon rips and Catalyst is not as strong in that setting as Tempest or Weaver (depending on trait and build).

Over performing profession are in most cases when we talk about 1v1 and below a full zerg.

In zerg that aren't build to perform very precise roles and behave very coordinated you will notice that some profession might work very different from/in larger scale.

In coordinated groups (where everybody are expected to fulfill a role, over performing means something else) you will probably see another type of over performance like when Firebrand was the main AoE provider for stability, heal or boon in general which now have been changed since a couple of patches ago (now have another mechanic as skills and traits changed for FB since then).

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 1