Updraft / Leylines for gryphons too?

The real question for me is whether "flying mounts" only includes the ones you can mount in the air (so griffon and skyscale), or will also include siege turtles. They can certainly reach leylines and updrafts, so I feel they should be able to get the benefit.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Manpag.6421 said:

The real question for me is whether "flying mounts" only includes the ones you can mount in the air (so griffon and skyscale), or will also include siege turtles. They can certainly reach leylines and updrafts, so I feel they should be able to get the benefit.

You know, first I took your idea as a joke. But after thinking a while - it would be quite fun if it did work on turtles too 😄 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

I hope gryphons will be able to enjoy these benefits too? 🤔

Both in-combat mounting and updraft use will also be available to the Griffon mount.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-next-guild-wars-2-expansion-releases-this-august-and-will-finally-answer-an-18-year-old-mystery/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

You know, first I took your idea as a joke. But after thinking a while - it would be quite fun if it did work on turtles too 😄 

Oh yeah, no joke. I really like “floaty” mounts like the skimmer and siege turtle, though unlike the skimmer,  the siege turtle is a viable flying mount with the pilot booster. It’s also only slightly slower than skyscale (due to not having the dash), but that seems a fair trade for being able to carry people.

It would make sense to me, given that the only way it flies is by being propelled vertically by jets, and even ley lines are logical because of the connection between them and Jade tech.

• Like 1

Ley Line and Updraft for Griffon?

Ow please please NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Unless, you give us a mechanic (say a key we need to press) to interact with an Updraft of Leyline.

Please do NOT destroy our flying with unavoidable Ley Lines and Updrafts, like you did with those pesty Skyscale Rift thingies.

PLEASE keep the skies clear for us. I do NOT want to be diving just to get too close to a leyline and my entire flight DESTROYED by its mandatory path

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

100% agree with this!!

The fact that the skyscale rifts yeet you off your path if you're passing close by on a griffon is already super annoying, but there are relatively few of them so you can usually avoid them. There are far more updrafts and leylines in HoT which means that there's far more potential for them to interfere with things and I can see it getting infuriating very quickly if you automatically have to use them when you've unlocked the new masteries. As a member of the griffon stunt flying community, it would also invalidate a number of the stunt routes people have created, which sucks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Ley Line and Updraft for Griffon?

Ow please please NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Unless, you give us a mechanic (say a key we need to press) to interact with an Updraft of Leyline.

Please do NOT destroy our flying with unavoidable Ley Lines and Updrafts, like you did with those pesty Skyscale Rift thingies.

1 hour ago, intransigentash.8301 said:

I can see it getting infuriating very quickly if you automatically have to use them when you've unlocked the new masteries. As a member of the griffon stunt flying community, it would also invalidate a number of the stunt routes people have created, which sucks.

Given that they’re the 4th and 6th mastery abilities, I suspect a solution would be to just not train them. The only new ability you’d lose by doing that is the ability to mount in combat, which is unlikely to be make-or-break (with gliding booster and stealth, it’s pretty easy to get out of combat long enough to mount, particularly griffon or skyscale). You’d still get the aerial flame attack, which is likely to be needed in certain new combat situations, as well as the enhanced wall launch.

Ehm no. Not training to maintain Griffon MEchanics is wrong.

Masteries should not break mount skills.

The solution can be so easy, no automated pull/push from these skills but intentional interaction by holding or pressing a key when you hit them to "take the ley" or "take the updraft" 

On 6/27/2023 at 7:24 PM, Manpag.6421 said:

Certainly not. Turtle has a build in height limit. Turtle is closer to skimmer then to flying mounts.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Certainly not. Turtle has a build in height limit. Turtle is closer to skimmer then to flying mounts.

So do the skyscale and the griffon; you can’t gain height without either landing or wall boosting. Arguably the skyscale and griffon have harder height limits than the turtle; on skyscale, horizontal flight reduces your vertical range which can’t be reset without landing, and on griffon you get diminishing height returns from dives, capping your height lower the longer you fly. Conversely, the turtle is only limited by endurance. If you somehow had limitless endurance, you would have unlimited horizontal flight and a vertical range that extended from slightly above your start point down to the bottom of the map. Because of this, the turtle can effectively fly horizontally about twice as far as the skyscale, with boosters and careful endurance use.

I’m not going to claim it’s faster, more convenient, or more agile than either the griffon or the skyscale, but when fully mastered it definitely has more in common with those flying mounts than it does with the skimmer.

On 6/29/2023 at 3:39 PM, Manpag.6421 said:

and on griffon you get diminishing height returns from dives, capping your height lower the longer you fly.

Ehm sorry, this is not really the case

You can always get back to your starting height, it takes a lot of practise but it can be done. From starting point, you can even gain a little altitude.

What a lot of people do not know: 

1. Wingflap on pull up increases your pull up speed.
2. Wingflap can be used at approximately 66% endurance fill
3. Holding dive key while pulling up, massively increases endurance fill speed.
4. Never pull up using back key (s by default) but Pull Up utility key (c by default)

Mastering these techniques can get you back to and slightly over your starting height.

• Thanks 1