Breaching strike

Kate.3679

Undocumented change in the patch notes where the skill no longer does 50% more damage to boonless foes but instead gives crit chance (lol) and 50% extra damage on dagger skills for a short duration after landing f1

Edit: skill also seems to be bugged, if you cast it without full adrenaline it doesnt actually hit either?

Edit 2: I was talking about pve only and yes I am aware it didnt give 50% damage to boonless foes in pvp/wvw

Edited by Lilas.3648
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lilas.3648 said:

Undocumented change in the patch notes where the skill no longer does 50% more damage to boonless foes but instead gives crit chance (lol) and 50% extra damage on dagger skills for a short duration after landing f1

well you know you dont actually see boonless foes in wvw the whole effect against "boonless" targets thing is a funny meme and atleast anet hopefully finally realizes that. and if its a bug then its def a bug in the right direction

Also after using breaching strike, it seems that any weaponskill will deplete all your adrenaline(and shortly after giving it back), so if you weaponswap right after breaching->dual->disrupting it happens to break the whole rotation. The 50% damage increase on dagger also doesnt seem to work based on the numbers.

It looks like the effects of Breaching Strike and the primal burst, Slicing Maelstrom, have their skill effects swapped. You'll notice that Breaching Strike has level 1, 2 and 3 adrenaline use effects, when Spellbreaker can never use more than 1 bar of adrenaline. Slicing Maelstrom, however, does not have effects based on amount of adrenaline used.

43 minutes ago, GeneralWut.7426 said:

It looks like the effects of Breaching Strike and the primal burst, Slicing Maelstrom, have their skill effects swapped. You'll notice that Breaching Strike has level 1, 2 and 3 adrenaline use effects, when Spellbreaker can never use more than 1 bar of adrenaline. Slicing Maelstrom, however, does not have effects based on amount of adrenaline used.

They will have had to add in T2 and T3 to breaching since core will have access to it. The Primal is only ever one tier.

5 minutes ago, GeneralWut.7426 said:

Right, so I'm wondering if there's a third version of the skill, and what spellbreakers currently have is supposed to be the core warrior version, and the previous Breaching Strike functionality might still be there, just not accessible.

It means they are reworking the skill so that core gets tiered versions of it and it somehow made it into today's patch by accident.

7 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It means they are reworking the skill so that core gets tiered versions of it and it somehow made it into today's patch by accident.

You can see the toered version if you equip dagger than change to core. I believe boonrip scales at 2 per bar of adrenaline spent. 

27 minutes ago, Lilas.3648 said:

Following today's hotfix the bonus damage to boonless foes is STILL missing on f1

Its damage coefficient is also lower than it was. Nevermind, its damage coefficient looks to be the same, I just had Forceful Greatsword equipped on a core warrior and power berserker template. It still hits like a wet noodle without the boonless damage bonus. Flurry on Spellbreaker sword also has the old casting time and damage, but it's no longer rooted, so I guess that's an improvement.

Edited by GeneralWut.7426
Noticed power differences between builds, corrected the line about the coefficient.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

And condsidering how they keep nerfing Spellbreaker's boon ripping we'll end up with core being the better ripper...

I’ll keep playing spell though. It’s the reason I play warrior. It deserves to be the boon rip monster in this game.

I don’t often talk about the balance teams stated philosophy I try to let others make their decisions because they often overlook the fact that our balance team at least has a stated goal/direction. Thats so much more than we’ve had for most of this games life cycle. However, I really disagree with the continued degradation of boon counters. With the standardization of class-specific mechanics becoming boons, more counters should exist. Spell doesn’t corrupt or steal, it just removes. It brings the fight back to parity. That’s honestly kind of its theme; that you empower yourself and spell will force you to fight on even footing. Yet it’s incapable of doing this. It’s very frustrating sometimes.

Break enchantment should be 4 boons and less damage. WOD should be a significant boon denial and not a bubble at all. Disenchantment should be more widespread on spells kit to help counter boons more effectively without giving the class a glut of strips. Burst skills should strip 1 boon by default…or apply 2s disenchantment by default, or something. Instead spell is just kind of Warrior with more versatility. Not that I mind that, or that such an aspect should be removed. But it needs its niche to be more solid and defined. At least imo. I am biased.

Thats my rant. Sometimes it’s frustrating to watch a class with so much potential and such an elegant design have its very important niche chipped away when the game needs it more and more. 

1 minute ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I’ll keep playing spell though. It’s the reason I play warrior. It deserves to be the boon rip monster in this game.

I don’t often talk about the balance teams stated philosophy I try to let others make their decisions because they often overlook the fact that our balance team at least has a stated goal/direction. Thats so much more than we’ve had for most of this games life cycle. However, I really disagree with the continued degradation of boon counters. With the standardization of class-specific mechanics becoming boons, more counters should exist. Spell doesn’t corrupt or steal, it just removes. It brings the fight back to parity. That’s honestly kind of its theme; that you empower yourself and spell will force you to fight on even footing. Yet it’s incapable of doing this. It’s very frustrating sometimes.

Break enchantment should be 4 boons and less damage. WOD should be a significant boon denial and not a bubble at all. Disenchantment should be more widespread on spells kit to help counter boons more effectively without giving the class a glut of strips. Burst skills should strip 1 boon by default…or apply 2s disenchantment by default, or something. Instead spell is just kind of Warrior with more versatility. Not that I mind that, or that such an aspect should be removed. But it needs its niche to be more solid and defined. At least imo. I am biased.

Thats my rant. Sometimes it’s frustrating to watch a class with so much potential and such an elegant design have its very important niche chipped away when the game needs it more and more. 

I feel you. They've been making all the wrong decisions with Spellbreaker lately and they can't figure out how to do Bladesworn without bloating it one way or the other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I feel you. They've been making all the wrong decisions with Spellbreaker lately and they can't figure out how to do Bladesworn without bloating it one way or the other.

I understand bladesworn bloating. It’s inherent to the design. Something that makes all the flaws of Warrior it’s features has to either be bloated or absolutely useless because it doesn’t really fit in the combat system, so it has to be carried somehow. 

I just really don’t get why boon rip on a boon rip spec is being continually degraded when it literally can’t be a game braking thing. I get corruption or boon steal. But removal literally just resets classes to their ooc state… k I’m done if I don’t stop I’ll just keep going on about this. I’m very pessimistic that they will get spellbreaker to where it needs to be, but I’ll keep playing it since everything else is so boon-heavy and rotation dependent except maybe thief. 

29 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I understand bladesworn bloating. It’s inherent to the design. Something that makes all the flaws of Warrior it’s features has to either be bloated or absolutely useless because it doesn’t really fit in the combat system, so it has to be carried somehow. 

I just really don’t get why boon rip on a boon rip spec is being continually degraded when it literally can’t be a game braking thing. I get corruption or boon steal. But removal literally just resets classes to their ooc state… k I’m done if I don’t stop I’ll just keep going on about this. I’m very pessimistic that they will get spellbreaker to where it needs to be, but I’ll keep playing it since everything else is so boon-heavy and rotation dependent except maybe thief. 

Except Thief also still has Stealth and god tier mobility. Basically why it hasn't gotten as much boon accessibility. Why Warrior is lumped in with that...I have no clue.