[Poll] New weapon: Main-Hand vs Off-Hand

TheThief.8475

New Thief weapon  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with another Main-Hand (axe) or would you rather have a new Off-Hand which would provide old Main-Hand weapons with new dual-skills as well as new slot 4 and 5 skills?

• I prefer a new Main-Hand weapon
    • I'd prefer a new Off-Hand weapon

• TheThief.8475 changed the title to [Poll] What do you think about the new weapon that will be added to Thief?

Mainhand+Offhand, I've wanted Dual Axe for a long time like bandits/brigands often do in other games. Offhand probably more important at this point though as what Pistol provides is pretty limited and only really benefits Dagger. Sword especially really needs a better offhand.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Mainhand+Offhand, I've wanted Dual Axe for a long time like bandits often do in other games. Offhand probably more important at this point though as what Pistol provides is pretty limited and only really benefits Dagger.

Please vote what you'd prefer between the two, of course we all would prefer both 😛

Edited by TheThief.8475

16 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

A mid ranged main hand power weapon with some mobility on 2. The axes, by default, should also explode on impact (like this).

What if the new dual skills with MH specter or pistol and the new OH weapon would have AoE damage? Also skills 4 and 5 could have this option 🙂 (scepter could be tuned in balance patches to have more power damage, because of the changes that will happen with weapon mastery)

Also mobility on ranged weapons won't happen, they learnt from shortbow.

Edited by TheThief.8475

13 minutes ago, TheThief.8475 said:

What if the new dual skills with MH specter or pistol and the new OH weapon would have AoE damage? Also skills 4 and 5 could have this option 🙂 

Then I would still prefer it to be a MH weapon as there currently is no proper MH mid ranged power option. Now we don't have any OH power option either but the issue here is that even if they add one then you still wouldn't have any good MH option to pair it with while the current OH options are at least decent choices thnks to their utility focus.

That being said I ofc. wouldn't be opposed to them also adding a ranged OH axe with an AoE focus later on down the line.

3 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

Then I would still prefer it to be a MH weapon as there currently is no proper MH mid ranged power option. Now we don't have any OH power option either but the issue here is that even if they add one then you still wouldn't have any good MH option to pair it with while the current OH options are at least decent choices thnks to their utility focus.

That being said I ofc. wouldn't be opposed to them also adding a ranged OH axe with an AoE focus later on down the line.

There is no mid range power option only because numbers aren't high enough. We have 2 main hand weapons that with numbers tuning can do exactly what you want from a new main hand weapon! 

Pistol is unused because damage is low atm but nothing says that they can't tune it up in the future! Same for scepter!

Edited by TheThief.8475
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tails.9372 said:

MH pistol is hybrid at best with 2 skills you ideally want to never use and scepter is just straight up condi and that's never going to change. So yes, like I said: thief has currently is no proper MH mid ranged power option.

All they have to do is buff pistols and return Ricochet but some sort of ominous dark force out there is preventing it. Considering the bugged/broken Deadly Aim is locked to Critical Strikes it shouldn't even be hybrid/condi at all.

And what P/P Condi achieves in WvW can be replaced with Scepter/Pistol pretty easily on Daredevil, so if they made Pistol full strike damage it wouldn't be a loss.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

All they have to do is buff pistols and return Ricochet

Just buffing them wouldn't solve the problems here. There are multiple things which need to be reworked to actually fix the issues.

10 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

but some sort of ominous dark force out there is preventing it.

Yeah it's called A-Net being unwilling to make fundamental changes even if these changes would be required to properly fix the issue in question. They also seem to have an internal "problem solving" policy of always addressing the "what" while completely disregarding the "why".

Edited by Tails.9372

I guess it depends on what the axe does. If it's more of a cleaving weapon with up-to 5 target skills, I would prefer it be off-hand for purely selfish reasons (Spectre outside of Shroud form has awful multi-target capabilities)

Outside of that, I don't really care because I am the type of player who will not use a weapon if I personally feel it's not thematically accurate (meta be damned)... Sneaky bois don't use axes. Spooky bois do use axes.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Kiro Kobra.6478 said:

I guess it depends on what the axe does. If it's more of a cleaving weapon with up-to 5 target skills, I would prefer it be off-hand for purely selfish reasons (Spectre outside of Shroud form has awful multi-target capabilities)

Outside of that, I don't really care because I am the type of player who will not use a weapon if I personally feel it's not thematically accurate (meta be damned)... Sneaky bois don't use axes. Spooky bois do use axes.

Ninjas use Sickles and Anet classifies those as Axes with the Devil-Rending and Mordant Sickle ones for example so they're sneakyboi accurate. As I mentioned though bandits use axes often in other games which is basically a more violent thief.

Hell, Sub Zero is a famous Ninja who's main weapons are Axes. Get the new Legendary Medium, make it blue, get Jormag axe, and cosplay as him.

Edited by Doggie.3184

6 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Ninjas use Sickles and Anet classifies those as Axes with the Bloodstone so they're sneakyboi accurate. As I mentioned though bandits use axes often in other games which is basically a more violent thief.

Hell, Sub Zero is a famous Ninja who's main weapons are Axes. 

Sickles, I can tolerate. But like I said, it's a personal thing - I'm not trying to make an omnipotent statement of fact.

It'll really depend on what the axe does and how it plays/feels. If it's slow and brutish, I'll probably ignore it.

If it's genuinely fun and engaging (and doesn't just turn thief into a wannabe warrior), fast-paced, and interactive with other abilities, then maybe I'll consider using one if I can find a sleek-looking axe skin.

I am a style > meta player, so sue me lol.

Edited by Kiro Kobra.6478

Casting another vote for dual swords, so, sword off-hand.
ANet has shown that it's never going to happen, of course, but it's still what I'd want the most.

For more options that might happen (although are unlikely to), an off-hand torch or focus would be nice. Off-hand axe as well, to go with the main-hand. But if they aren't putting that last one in now, then they likely won't put it in later either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

MH pistol is hybrid at best with 2 skills you ideally want to never use and scepter is just straight up condi and that's never going to change. So yes, like I said: thief has currently is no proper MH mid ranged power option.

I mean did you forget about dual skills?

Skill 1 with some buffs can definitely be a good power damage skill, skill 2 is terrible in pve (but just one skill) skill 3 with a new off hand could be a powerful power damage skill, and then you have skill 4 and 5 from the new off hand!!!

We really don't need axe. Especially not as a main hand weapon.

Taking into account all professions are getting their espec weapons, here is a list of things weapon skills don't do on thief.
Pulling or Pushing
Channel Blocking
Heavy melee CC
Things it could use more/better of on weapon skills
Raw healing
AOE boons
Ranged Cleaving/AOE

I don't think Axe is going to do any of those things except maybe some ranged cleave if they make it like ranger. I doubt it but, we might get a skill three pull, maybe with pistol?  Either hand mace would be more useful to us. Focus is still the one we need the most, since we don't have any off-hand only weapons. Giving thief any of those things in block 1 is great for pve and probably will make people too mad in competitive for them to ever commit to it. Maybe if Bandit's Defense is ever dropped to 10 seconds you will see a DD handkite.

4 hours ago, Nomad.4301 said:

We only have TWO off-hand options, the least amount in the game, it would really be nice to have something to combo with sword other than Dagger/Pistol..

This is indeed a tragedy considering that the unique dual wield mechanic has been ignored for the first 2 expansions, and now is not being fully taken advantage of. How many years do we have to wait? ☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Except for pushing, that list of things you put are actually done by current Thief weapons, but the numbers are subpar such as Pistol Whip and tactical stealth attacks with heavy melee CC, or need a re-touch like shortbow dealing ranged AoE/cleave but the kit needing a massive rehaul. Scepter provides AoE swiftness (twilight combo), regen/vigor (endless night) or protection (whatever 2 is called forgot) and barrier.

The blocking channel is supposed to be a daredevil feature.

Edited by LyraOrpheo.8450