The game has never been more unsatisfying to play

PvP has been completely dead for years now. WvW received back-end rework but aside that it's also dead, no new maps or gameplay mechanics since 2012 launch.

Classes became a true nightmare to play. They lost all their flow and are now clunky button mash. PvE content has been amazing, but due to classes being nightmare to play, PvE also became unsatisfying and jarring.

Instead of properly balancing classes and rethinking and reworking things when needed, they tried to band aid it with Quickness and Alacrity which only worsened the problem.

Just look at upcoming "expansion". No new PvP maps, no new WvW maps, no new Raids... it's an unfinished living world season pretending to be expansion.

The more you play, the more obvious these become evident.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ManaPotato.3279 said:

Just look at upcoming "expansion". No new PvP maps, no new WvW maps, no new Raids... it's an unfinished living world season pretending to be expansion.

Not even the biggest of fanboy can deny this right? It IS a paid Living World season, but for marketing/PR reasons they call it an "expansion". Heck, it's worse than a Living World season even, as in LW4 we got 2 new mounts while here they just reuse an old one and even tries to make it the main attraction.

Edited by pocky.7468
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yes but this only seems to apply to the people who play that content. Like with pve it's mostly the people who want to play endgame content that are suffering the most from class changes etc. Open world and solo play seem to be OK because people just do things at their own pace with whatever gear and/or build they play with little to no affect to others. Group content where individuals need to contribute in order to progress as a whole have to struggle with constantly changing gear/build to meet the requirements of their role for that content. Like some classes/builds become completely unusable after certain patch changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

22 minutes ago, pocky.7468 said:

Not even the biggest of fanboy can deny this right? It IS a paid Living World season, but for marketing/PR reasons they call it an "expansion". Heck, it's worse than a Living World season even, as in LW4 we got 2 new mounts while here they just reuse an old one and even tries to make it the main attraction.

You can't really say that without having played/seen it though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Well to be more accurate, WvW received one big update in 2015 with HOT and a tiny one recently with warclaw. But yes it's really old content for the most part and it feels kinda abandoned for 8 years counting. Only other updates are the elite specs and skins, but nothing really specific to WvW mechanics. As for the maps they didn't evolve because the community refused them.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563

18 minutes ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

As for the maps they didn't evolve because the community refused them.

The only thing community complained about was complete WvW map replacement. Many actually liked it, so it was settled on middle ground. ArenaNet should realize the fact its possible for things to coexist - instead of neurotically forcing us to have one thing only.

Edited by ManaPotato.3279
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Yeah well ok they could add new battefield maps i get you, or figure something out as well. But having a big part of the community refuse the new maps must have felt like a red flag for the devs, and certainly slowed or stalled new content additions in progress in WvW.

That being said i'd really like new content in WvW as well. PLayed it over 25k hours, now only thing i'm missing is counting how many steps there are between spawn and castle. I also feel like not having anything to do there anymore.

But i think the devs received big $$$ with the recent expansions and that's the biggest part of the puzzle to ensure positive change.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Like 1

Trying to get excited about the expansion and I can't at all right now.

Like a poster above said, they've probably made good money on these expansions which allowed them to make QOL updates which is good but it's hard to see what the next big thing is for this game.

To bring a good number of players back in we need something substantial, new and interesting to play. Not only that but the graphics in 2012 were very close to a 10/10 for an MMO, now we've slipped down the scale a little bit and surrounded by glowsticks.

My hopes: They did the engine updates to eventually fork the GW2 code and start on GW3, meanwhile churning out these mini expansions to keep us interested. 

You can pay $20-30 for other games and have hundreds or thousands of hours of fun, so the expansions aren't cheap either when most people find only tens of hours of additional content in them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The problem that Anet has never addressed is that as maps are added, it just further dilutes the player base.

Even if the exact number of players play now as they did at release (no actual idea how it compares), between the expansions and living world maps, those players are now spread out over 2-3 times as many maps.  The only real thing Anet has done is rotating dailies for those maps, so if you need a bunch of other players to complete an event, it will show up in the daily rotation within a week.  But that is still a poor experience if you don't want to wait that long, or happen to be busy the next time that map hits the daily rotation.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

The problem that Anet has never addressed is that as maps are added, it just further dilutes the player base.

Even if the exact number of players play now as they did at release (no actual idea how it compares), between the expansions and living world maps, those players are now spread out over 2-3 times as many maps.  The only real thing Anet has done is rotating dailies for those maps, so if you need a bunch of other players to complete an event, it will show up in the daily rotation within a week.  But that is still a poor experience if you don't want to wait that long, or happen to be busy the next time that map hits the daily rotation.

Buy a commander tag, go to map tag up and do what you need to do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

If buying a commander tag is the solution, then Anet should make those tags cheaper (I do have one, but telling most players to spend 300 gold in order to complete content is probably not the best idea - I wonder if they could make consumable items that lets gives someone a commander tag for a few hours).

And commander tag is not a sure fire way to complete content - even with my commander tag, it took many days (weeks?  Can't remember now) to find a day & time to get enough people to complete Serpent's Ire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

If buying a commander tag is the solution, then Anet should make those tags cheaper (I do have one, but telling most players to spend 300 gold in order to complete content is probably not the best idea - I wonder if they could make consumable items that lets gives someone a commander tag for a few hours).

And commander tag is not a sure fire way to complete content - even with my commander tag, it took many days (weeks?  Can't remember now) to find a day & time to get enough people to complete Serpent's Ire.

Well Serpent's Ire is one of the very few events thats extremly hard to get people for that and maw of torment.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

There is already a free alternative

Type /mentor 

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If they don't sell anything they don't have money to pay people to work on stuff. Just like with a lot of the wvw changes recently I'm sure they will have more post-expansion. Just be patient, look how many years it took to add new rewards 😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1