Thoughts on Untamed WvW Roaming?

AlphaReborn.1567

I’ve used SLB and Druid for WvW for a long time and am thinking about trying Untamed for a new experience. Has anyone had any success with it? It seems pretty rare to see one roaming so I’m not exactly sure what capabilities they have, but the new changes seem like they may be decent for roamers.

Any advice or build recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

I feel like Untamed just doesn’t have the mobility and stability to be a good roamer in WvW from what I played so far. I can see it being good in PvP but it’s just so slow, and outnumbered is basically a death sentence. Maybe I just need more practice but SLB and even nerfed Druid plays a lot better for this type of thing.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 6:03 AM, AlphaReborn.1567 said:

I feel like Untamed just doesn’t have the mobility and stability to be a good roamer in WvW from what I played so far. I can see it being good in PvP but it’s just so slow, and outnumbered is basically a death sentence. Maybe I just need more practice but SLB and even nerfed Druid plays a lot better for this type of thing.

Its a different type of mobility, not movement skills based rather Super Speed also don't let anyone tell you otherwise all the Ranger Elites have roughly the same speed. 

Depending on the build, but they can be very good in Team fight mostly due to Restorataitive Strikes. It can heal you about the same as a healing skill but every 10 seconds (similar cooldown Ambushes but is triggered on either F5 switch)

This can let you Duel endlessly, or heal up with a Longbow Barrages, even chasing someone down though a Zerg to down them. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Its a different type of mobility, not movement skills based rather Super Speed also don't let anyone tell you otherwise all the Ranger Elites have roughly the same speed. 

Depending on the build, but they can be very good in Team fight mostly due to Restorataitive Strikes. It can heal you about the same as a healing skill but every 10 seconds (similar cooldown Ambushes but is triggered on either F5 switch)

This can let you Duel endlessly, or heal up with a Longbow Barrages, even chasing someone down though a Zerg to down them. 

Do you have a build you can recommend that I can try out?

On 7/2/2023 at 9:48 AM, AlphaReborn.1567 said:

I’ve used SLB and Druid for WvW for a long time and am thinking about trying Untamed for a new experience. Has anyone had any success with it? It seems pretty rare to see one roaming so I’m not exactly sure what capabilities they have, but the new changes seem like they may be decent for roamers.

Any advice or build recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Reason being is that it lacks mobility and is very glassy. It was intended at its release to be a viable option as a zerg oriented fighter, unfortunately it kind of sucks all around. 

5 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Its a different type of mobility, not movement skills based rather Super Speed...

10 minutes ago, Strider.7849 said:

...is very glassy. It was intended at its release to be a viable option as a zerg oriented fighter, unfortunately it kind of sucks all around. 

I quoted both these in parts as I agree with them but put together. 

That is, from my perspective Untamed definitely relies heavily on superspeed for mobility and also needs to be very glassy--which is hard because they designed it as zerg/bruiser, but was done so terribly and to put it bluntly, yeah kinda sucks all around.

Can it be a roamer? Probably.  Still working that one out myself, but have tabled it to after patching up my immob Druid now that it has a thing for Anne Rice, but I digress.  

Untamed is one place where I see Staff working very well.  it would be condi and sort of replicate old immob Druid complete with Shortbow / Staff, but may lean more cele than Trailblazer/Dire that my Druid has.  The downsides to this are the shortbow unleash which is kitten, and lacking the pure kiting sustain that celestial shadow / CA form in general gives.  But upsides are full pet control, the pet boon rip and condis, and the inherient sustain Untamed has.  

At current, I still run my prior to patch Untamed which is just LB/GS and uses Signet of Hunt / every super speed and quickness trait I can find.  Is super glassy and doesn't work nearly as well as my Soulbeast which is identical--as the Soulbeast can hit harder, crit cap, and hide the pet--but it's as close to viable Untamed roamer as I can see.

Think general build lines for this kind of Untamed are Marks/BM/Untamed--I don't use WS or NM here because Untamed has high HP already and the elite is pure defense.  

33 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I quoted both these in parts as I agree with them but put together. 

That is, from my perspective Untamed definitely relies heavily on superspeed for mobility and also needs to be very glassy--which is hard because they designed it as zerg/bruiser, but was done so terribly and to put it bluntly, yeah kinda sucks all around.

Can it be a roamer? Probably.  Still working that one out myself, but have tabled it to after patching up my immob Druid now that it has a thing for Anne Rice, but I digress.  

Untamed is one place where I see Staff working very well.  it would be condi and sort of replicate old immob Druid complete with Shortbow / Staff, but may lean more cele than Trailblazer/Dire that my Druid has.  The downsides to this are the shortbow unleash which is kitten, and lacking the pure kiting sustain that celestial shadow / CA form in general gives.  But upsides are full pet control, the pet boon rip and condis, and the inherient sustain Untamed has.  

At current, I still run my prior to patch Untamed which is just LB/GS and uses Signet of Hunt / every super speed and quickness trait I can find.  Is super glassy and doesn't work nearly as well as my Soulbeast which is identical--as the Soulbeast can hit harder, crit cap, and hide the pet--but it's as close to viable Untamed roamer as I can see.

Think general build lines for this kind of Untamed are Marks/BM/Untamed--I don't use WS or NM here because Untamed has high HP already and the elite is pure defense.  

It's just a different way of play Ranger. I love using and manipulating the pet and when I could only use Soulbeast I spend most of my time unmerged.
I'm very good at managing my rotation and expending my resources/cooldowns very quickly, I guess I prefer more spammy classes. I can use Shortbow Ambush very well in PvP, I can cycle my F5 at the right time to maximize attack or defence. All round it just works for me, hence why I'm almost always in Gold 3 or Plat.

For WvW I play the build I'm best known for, the Arrow Cart (Dual Longbows). It works so well with me able to pin down a Zerg as they rush through for a clash. I run Restorative Strikes with full Marauders and a little Berserkers, which results in me having a massive health pool while being able to suffer a lot of punishment while Barraging.

3 hours ago, AlphaReborn.1567 said:

Do you have a build you can recommend that I can try out?

If you want Conquest, then it Carrion and Krait runes, Venom and Agony for Axe/Warhorn, Agony and Purging for Shortbow.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEcEWpsAmHrjRxOxS75NWVixrA-zVRYVR3WMsyIiUtiqyzDQI9AA-w