Confirmed: no Revenants for players that only own Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

35 minutes ago, particlepinata.9865 said:

Ok that got me thinking. People who go from FTP to SOTO would not have any elite specs anyway, right? I can already envision the complain posts 😅. Thinking about it more: Does that not mean they cannot use certain weapon choices also? In the process devaluating the weapon choice/skills/freedom selling point of the Expac? I wonder how that can work in anyway.

Yes, Anet confirmed you will be able to use weapons even from elites of expansions you do not own.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/combat-in-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/

That means that even if you don’t own the other expansions, you’ll be able to mix and match weapons from the elite specializations associated with them. (You’ll still need to own the appropriate expansion and fully unlock each elite specialization to make use of its trait line—not to mention getting the signature weapon and armor piece!)

Edited by Sime.3681
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What are they complaining about? Don't all of you have the Revenant or why so much whining?

If ANET doesn't include the revenant, it will be a matter of marketing and encouraging people to buy expansions, as if they didn't know what the consumer market is like.

It's like Dragon Ball take out a transformation to sell more Goku figurines or someone of them. They seek to make money not lose.

Besides ANET must innovate and bring new things, not the same of the same.

Edited by angelica.7406
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

22 minutes ago, angelica.7406 said:

What are they complaining about? Don't all of you have the Revenant or why so much whining?

If ANET doesn't include the revenant, it will be a matter of marketing and encouraging people to buy expansions, as if they didn't know what the consumer market is like.

It's like Dragon Ball take out a transformation to sell more Goku figurines or someone of them. They seek to make money not lose.

Besides ANET must innovate and bring new things, not the same of the same.

So exactly what is new in SotO, all I see is the new weapons per class.

Rest is repackaged or reimagined of what we had already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Sime.3681 said:

Yes, Anet confirmed you will be able to use weapons even from elites of expansions you do not own.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/combat-in-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/

WHAT. I mean it seems there was no elegant solution to this dumb mastery but again WHAT.

I don't even think the article says that.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Batalix.2873 said:

WHAT. I mean it seems there was no elegant solution to this dumb mastery but again WHAT.

it clearly do.

Once you’ve unlocked Weaponmaster Training in Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, you’ll be able to use elite specialization weapons without the corresponding trait line equipped. This will be the case even if you haven’t trained an elite specialization. That means that even if you don’t own the other expansionsyou’ll be able to mix and match weapons from the elite specializations associated with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Batalix.2873 said:

I literally posted verbatim the paragraph from the article, but ok.

Edited by Sime.3681
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think this is a PR disaster in the making. New players just buying this "expansion" then realizing they have no elite specs unlocked are not gonna be happy. HoT and PoF should just be included at this point.

Edited by pocky.7468
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, pocky.7468 said:

I think this is a PR disaster in the making. New players just buying this "expansion" then realizing they have no elite specs unlocked are not gonna be happy. HoT and PoF should just be included at this point.

Any reason you exclude EoD from this unreasonable suggestion?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, pocky.7468 said:

I think this is a PR disaster in the making.

Nope, nothing will happen, at least until someone posts this topic on reddit, directly tweets it at Grouch, the GW2 game director, or one of the larger GW2 streamers picks it up and openly mocks them for their decision.

I wouldn't even be surprised if the mods just deleted this topic once it isn't on the first page anymore. You can't loose face as Korean company, because some of your GMs wrote something stupid in a support ticket that may or may not be true.

Edited by TheWaternymphHC.1847
  • Confused 4

11 hours ago, pocky.7468 said:

Why? GW2 is not a subscription game nor it's free-to-play, it's buy-to-play with the core game being free.

Some specific features are tied behind the purchase of specific xpacs as per its payment model and there are sales going on regularly. You want specific features? You buy the specific xpacs, I see nothing wrong with it.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

This strikes me as another bizarre oversight. Like, it didn't even occur to them to code in the access. It's been so long, I mostly forgot Rev wasn't a standard class.

It does kind of explain the Revenants Balance as well.🤣

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Asking Customer Support for information that isn't already public does not confirm this. They can't say anything that reveals such data, even if they did know anything about that.

Customer Support is about dealing with issues in game and your account now, not the future.

Um they likely wouldn't make positive statements if they weren't authorized to. If there were "hidden data" the team didn't want publicly available yet, they would have responded with a more vague "wait and see". This is not that.

• Confused 3

On 7/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, Batalix.2873 said:

Um they likely wouldn't make positive statements if they weren't authorized to. If there were "hidden data" the team didn't want publicly available yet, they would have responded with a more vague "wait and see". This is not that.

As of right now, you can only get Revenant from the expansions that are available. Saying that this CS response is talking about SOTO, a product that hasn't even released yet, is reading between the lines for info that isn't there.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

As of right now, you can only get Revenant from the expansions that are available. Saying that this CS response is talking about SOTO, a product that hasn't even released yet, is reading between the lines for info that isn't there.

There is reading into lines, which I am not.

And then there is blatantly reading opposite/alternative meaning into an express statement.

The response says "having only the Secrets of the Obscure will not make you eligible for the Revenant profession".

Pretending that the current, positive public statements about Secrets of the Obscure in fact do not describe the expansion is just...deliberately ignoring reality and substituting some fairly baseless presumptions to the contrary.

Yes, this could easily change and in fact be a really trivial bone for the devs to toss players after the fact for some cheap goodwill. But that has not happened yet and outright denying what statements ANet has chosen to approve for customer service is just...really poor analysis.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Might call me rude but if you want to play that class but the 3 expansion bundle for 35$… it well worth that money…. And for the living story just grind the gold to unlock those…

a.k.a.  This is a company if you like what your playing. Invest in it

Edited by tenklo.6104
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

My point is that people should stop using Customer Service like it is an interview for content not even out yet.

Perhaps, but drawing some sort of arbitrary distinction between Customer Service and Dev Blogs isn't a particularly strong argument against the veracity of what Customer Service does tell us.

Yes, there is always the possibility that Customer Service has poor oversight, isn't well-informed, and/or otherwise just makes stuff up or cites to the wiki.

But I think absent any other evidence supporting that notion, we don't really have a basis to discredit CS responses. A general rule of thumb for lower customer relations is to either stick to an approved script, or otherwise avoid making positive statements if you can't verify them with your superiors. It is ultimately a very simple protocol to follow and most employees don't breach it because it actually excuses them from a lot of responsibility and fallout.

And I think any company would be stupid not to emphasize the importance of this protocol regarding unreleased content. It is far, far better to tell CS to just stall, offer vague non-answers, or otherwise just refrain from answering at all. Versus the alternative, which would be potentially putting out contradictory information and inviting a lot of fan backlash that can impact goodwill and sales.

For these reasons, it is highly unlikely this statement from CS is inaccurate. In even a moderately well-structured team, they would not have responded with such a detail about SotO if it had not been part of their pre-approved script. And if that wasn't the case, then ANet has far bigger internal problems to deal with than whether or not Rev is in SotO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1