Pistol/Pistol - ideas or wishes?

Ezrael.6859

Here are my ideas and wishes for the main and offhand pistols.

The idea would be a hybrid damage weapon with some ranged control + defensive elements to add elements that the Guardian currently lacks in its weapons and create new interesting options with the current main and offhand weapons we have available or an interesting new ranged dual-weapon combination.

Balancing considerations were made using Necromancer Pistol & Scepter, Warrior Maces & Daggers, Ranger Axes & Torch, Mesmer Scepter & Pistol for reference.

Guardian Pistol/Pistol ideas

• Like 1

You want a symbol on AA like hammer?? Bad idea and bad design, look at hammer complaints people have had for years, a big one being the symbol tied to AA.

Your pistol 2 and 3 is too similar to Harb, Engi and Mesmer.

Your pistol 4 is way too overloaded, reflects and condi cleanse!?

But I do like your pistol 5 and would want that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 Autoattack: Exploding projectile that heals allies and damages enemies the explosion hits

2 Symbol that moves with guardian: Simple, shoot to paint symbol in air above you. The projectiles land on enemies around you over the duration and crippling them.

3 Spinny spinny: Spin for 2½ seconds with 100% increased movement speed and shoot 1 unblockable projectile to  an enemy and 1 to an ally around you every 0.25 seconds. Enemies are damaged and burnt for 1 second, allies are healed and receive barrier.

4:: Rapid fire attack (5x) that bounces twice between allies and enemies. Applies regen and cleanses allies. Damages and vulns enemies.

5: Evade backwards and fire very damaging shot towards target afterwards. Hitting enemy allows the skill to be reused for next 5 seconds up to 1 time.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Bewt.9258 said:

You want a symbol on AA like hammer?? Bad idea and bad design, look at hammer complaints people have had for years, a big one being the symbol tied to AA.

Your pistol 2 and 3 is too similar to Harb, Engi and Mesmer.

Your pistol 4 is way too overloaded, reflects and condi cleanse!?

But I do like your pistol 5 and would want that.

Yes, I wanted to explore the idea of a short duration soft-CC Symbol going off automatically at range on the AA chain rather than being a key #2 weapon skill.

The reason is because I wanted Pistols to act like more of a mobile, high damage and control set of weapons, focused more around dealing with 1 or two key targets and less of the AoE pressure that almost all the other Guardian weapons provide.

So many Guardian weapons are spoiled during balance because they are balanced around the idea that 5 targets could be getting hit 5 times for every Symbol, which outside of easy areas of PvE just never happens at all and it means we end up with very inferior weapons for smaller skirmishes and highly mobile fights.

In PvP, WvW and most mobile PvE fights big and small the Symbols often only hit once or twice; we know that the devs have a power limit on weapons and I worry that too much *weapon power* is consumed during balancing by the main Symbol on a weapon because of what it could do, when in actual gameplay it does so little. Enemies take 1 or 2 hits and allies get 1 or 2 seconds of buffs.

The Guardian already has plenty of support and AoE options in melee and at range, its time to provide something different to really augment and expand the playstyle options and combo in interesting ways with Sword, Scepter, Mace, Axe, Torch, Shield, Focus & OH-Sword.

How is Pistol 4 overloaded? Ele Focus 4 in Earth is:

Damage & 5s Crippled (5 targets)

3 seconds of Reflect

Cure 3 conditions.

25s recharge.

Instant use, can use skills while they have the reflect up.

And that is balanced around the idea that they have 20 weapon skills at any given time to rotate through also.

My Pistol 4 is a channeled skill, you aren't doing anything else while channeling it.

Edited by Ezrael.6859
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Honestly, I am fine with most ideas as long as they are better than Thief's P/P damage wise for instanced content. I will be happy as long as P/P does at least 35k damage as a pair.

Just checking, would the first condition still apply if thief P/P was buffed?

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Just checking, would the first condition still apply if thief P/P was buffed?

Yes, it would. But that is not happening anyways since people have been asking for changes to it for ages, so I gave up on that one at this point. My only real hope for a good P/P profession without outside items(like the engi and kits which I do enjoy btw. It is just not a true P/P build) is in the new unlocks coming. So, I have a lot riding in hope on Guardian P/P being actually good for a full P/P.

• 2 weeks later...

would love to see something like your skill 2 but maybe not both bleed and burn on it. maybe remove the burn and leave  f1 do the burning. skill 3 looks meh [but  ok for pvp/wvw]  skill 4 meh i think we got enough condi cleanse options [at least in my opinion] skill 5 seems ok.

i'm kinda hyped to see what it will actually look like but we won't even be using it from launch it will be the bigger patch a few months after sadly.

Edited by Rainbow Dragon.7268
removing unwanted text
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 7:26 PM, daw.4923 said:

full condi on both pistols with some ccs and at least 900 range. guard needs ranged condi build.

I'm thinking it will have somewhere around 600 range, but not further than 900. It's most likely a condi version of Scepter with more attacks to proc virtues, and minor shadowstep or blind utilities.

Honestly I am very curious how Anet meshes Pistol for Guard. I'm thinking if Engineer's pp & Thief's pp had a baby, that would be Guard's pp.

• 1 month later...

Themewise:

- Van helsing like

- Holy Bullets

Skilleffectwise to fit this theme:

- Stun

- Boon Removal

- Short Reveal

- Maybe bouncing or exploding bullets

- Vulnerability

- unblockable

Personally I'd wish for pistols as power weapons or some hybrid stuff. With a good burst option. As long it's not as bad as scepter it'll be fine I guess.

Edited by Nero.7369
  • Like 2