Ele "nerfs" are a joke

The class has been head and shoulders above the rest in pvp for ages now, with more and more buffs being piled on top of it, and now that the issue can no longer be ignored, all it gets is a light slap on the wrist. As much as I love playing it from time to time, I'd rather see it get nerfed into the ground for a while than have things continue the way they have been. Pvp matches since the last round of Ele buffs have pretty much become decided by which team has more Eles. The worst part though, is that we'll probably never see anything even close to balance as long as a certain balance team member (whose name can't be mentioned in a critical manner without risking your post being removed and your account being banned) is still making balance decisions. At this point it's starting to feel like all those "doom posts" about the devs not caring about the game anymore are being proved right. 😞

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 15

1 hour ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Absolutely nailed it.  As a Lead software engineer that's been in the industry for 25 years I can tell you that the PRIMARY requirement for making changes to existing systems is high quality objective Impact Analysis.  I have a super high regard for ANET, their software is high quality, but the recent changes reeks of unqualified decisions and borderline hacking quite frankly.  Small changes often and fast, not this embarrassing nonsense that is actually impacting their customers enjoyment of their product.

To add one of the other reason i'm livid is that i spent a lot of time investing in getting a legendary sceptre skin, including spending money to support the game.  All that just went down the drain.

18 hours ago, Seventh Ranger.3968 said:

The class has been head and shoulders above the rest in pvp for ages now, with more and more buffs being piled on top of it, and now that the issue can no longer be ignored, all it gets is a light slap on the wrist. As much as I love playing it from time to time, I'd rather see it get nerfed into the ground for a while than have things continue the way they have been. Pvp matches since the last round of Ele buffs have pretty much become decided by which team has more Eles. The worst part though, is that we'll probably never see anything even close to balance as long as a certain balance team member (whose name can't be mentioned in a critical manner without risking your post being removed and your account being banned) is still making balance decisions. At this point it's starting to feel like all those "doom posts" about the devs not caring about the game anymore are being proved right. 😞

your confusing a couple builds with an entire class which just got needlessly ruined through a lack of competent impact analysis. 

Edit or to be fair, the person who pulled the triggers on these ridiculous changes got confused.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

your confusing a couple builds with an entire class which just got needlessly ruined through a lack of competent impact analysis. 

Edit or to be fair, the person who pulled the triggers on these ridiculous changes got confused.

I agree, it's not the entire class, and they did try to balance it very incorrectly, but those problem builds are still a massive problem, and the only builds people really run most of the time. I don't want the rest of Ele to be nerfed any more than anyone else, but the problem Catalyst (and to a certain extent Tempest) builds need to be nerfed properly, or there will be no room for diversity or fun in pvp. A lot of people have just stopped playing because of those builds being so dominant and ubiquitous, myself included. It just makes it hard to enjoy pvp at all anymore.

3 hours ago, Seventh Ranger.3968 said:

A lot of people have just stopped playing because of those builds being so dominant and ubiquitous, myself included. It just makes it hard to enjoy pvp at all anymore.

I'd like to be optimistic for the future. But I kind of agree. -_-

• Thanks 1

As a non meta kitten it nows really feels bad to deploy a Fire Sphere or any Sphere for that matter, but the Fire Sphere is winning the Darwin award of 2023 together with the devs.

The whole point of Catalyst was to provide supporting boons, and they literally killed it, I liked this support playstyle.

What the kitten are these devs thinking. Complete clowns.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but back to World of Warcraft, specially after the Frost Mage rework.

Edited by DrTenma.7249
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

The spvp population is very small the game type has effectively burned it self out though over toxicity of the player base your just not going to get much from here with an real point of view for spvp only.

I'd rather that mode and community disappear entirely at this point. They tend to make the biggest noise for a barely noticeable population. Many of these changes have negative impacts on other parts of the game. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 7/20/2023 at 4:15 AM, Seventh Ranger.3968 said:

Pvp matches since the last round of Ele buffs have pretty much become decided by which team has more Eles. 

And here we are again...

same old discussions as for ritualist in gw1.

The class itself is not too strong, the problem is and will always be class stacking in sPvP. Instead of pointing towards class stacking and doing something against it, you talk about the class being the problem which it is not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/22/2023 at 3:48 PM, Kozumi.5816 said:

A year and a half ago I saw they were buffing catalyst in pvp/wvw and went "wow this  class is going to ruin pvp now"

Then it did for a year and a half..and still is..insane.

That may be true, but would you prefere warrior was king? even core ele has double the complexity (game sense skills completely aside). I'd rather they left ele how it was, and began making other classes more mechanically complicated to play, and then buffing their mobility/sustain/damage or what ever is needed upto ele standard. Instead, you are looking at the last resemblense of a complicated class in gw2 being nerfed into the ground. Scepter was the new goto tool becuase despite popular beleif.. eles do badly in group fights with D/D or D/F, you are either all sustain and no damage, or all damage an no sustain. There are also many decent side noders in the game now, that achieve it with half the mechanical compliexity of ele. If you don't beleive that, go side noding on D/F with power cata for 1 week, then go do it as SPB, hell, even power necro. See which one makes you pull your hair out the most.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/22/2023 at 9:13 AM, Bizgurk.5639 said:

Anet mentioned several times during the past ten years that they won't create any restrictions in terms of class stacking in Pvp. Same with nerfing Pve gear for the purpose of Wvw.

And that is why we have the same trouble as always.

Try the same and get the same results. 

On 7/21/2023 at 1:07 AM, Seventh Ranger.3968 said:

I agree, it's not the entire class, and they did try to balance it very incorrectly, but those problem builds are still a massive problem, and the only builds people really run most of the time. I don't want the rest of Ele to be nerfed any more than anyone else, but the problem Catalyst (and to a certain extent Tempest) builds need to be nerfed properly, or there will be no room for diversity or fun in pvp. A lot of people have just stopped playing because of those builds being so dominant and ubiquitous, myself included. It just makes it hard to enjoy pvp at all anymore.

We lack competitiveness for diversity to emerge unfortunately. I am pretty sure a support/CC druid could be meta the same way tempest or core guard are. Not the same tools but if the effectiveness is close that's enough to be a reliable option in the meta.