Question about new expension paying system

So I'm bit confused so we pay new 22£ for first part of this expension and in next couple months do we have to pay again? for next part?. I just re-collect that old anet post about changing whole living story/expension system and they did say that they will marge them together with lower price but we will have to pay for each one? or I read somthing wrong. Also they did say that they have finish dragon lore and can focus more on other project and give us better quality but after what I read on other topic about legendary runas/relice look like we get rashed staff again. Hope its not like EoD 💔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, Silesium.5623 said:

So I'm bit confused so we pay new 22£ for first part of this expension and in next couple months do we have to pay again? for next part?. I just re-collect that old anet post about changing whole living story/expension system and they did say that they will marge them together with lower price but we will have to pay for each one? or I read somthing wrong. Also they did say that they have finish dragon lore and can focus more on other project and give us better quality but after what I read on other topic about legendary runas/relice look like we get rashed staff again. Hope its not like EoD 💔

Same as the previous model except you pay slight less money, but more frequently, and the amount of content being released is significantly smaller.  This allows them to generate more cash more frequently from those who probably wouldn't buy things off the gem store.

If they stuck with the previous model we would get an expansion and maybe a six episode LS season every three years for $30 USD.  The current model is something like an expansion and a LS single map every year for $25 USD.  We're paying more overall for less content compared to what we had before.  

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, enigmatic.3576 said:

If they stuck with the previous model we would get an expansion and maybe a six episode LS season every three years for $30 USD.  The current model is something like an expansion and a LS single map every year for $25 USD.  We're paying more overall for less content compared to what we had before.  

It should be pointed out that this is still far cheaper than what subscription-based MMOs charge. For reference FFXIV charges $60 up front for base game + current, expansions, an extra $40 every time a new expansion releases, and a $13 minimum monthly sub. A year of FFXIV costs $216, whereas GW2 costs only $85 ($135 if you include all of Living World if you bought it un-discounted and bought gems with real money.)

Edited by HeliosMagi.9867
Price correction.
  • Like 7
  • Confused 3

56 minutes ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

It should be pointed out that this is still far cheaper than what subscription-based MMOs charge. For reference FFXIV charges $60 up front for base game + current, expansions, an extra $40 every time a new expansion releases, and a $13 minimum monthly sub. A year of FFXIV costs $216, whereas GW2 costs only $85 ($135 if you include all of Living World if you bought it un-discounted and bought gems with real money.)

My moto is if u have to pay for game monthly its not a game it a chore its force you to play it cos otherwise if u skip day u lose what u pay for + other player prop get ahead of u. Game should be fun and you should enjoy it not be force to play it. Also FFXIV and WOW are diff game. My post was more about question then pointing out the current price. How often will we have to pay for what come. Cos this exp is more like QoL dont add any thing new beside story.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Silesium.5623 said:

My moto is if u have to pay for game monthly its not a game it a chore its force you to play it cos otherwise if u skip day u lose what u pay for + other player prop get ahead of u. Game should be fun and you should enjoy it not be force to play it. Also FFXIV and WOW are diff game. My post was more about question then pointing out the current price. How often will we have to pay for what come. Cos this exp is more like QoL dont add any thing new beside story.

Its a lot more than just qol and story even if it isn’t the same as older expacs. It’s comparable to roughly 3 full sized episodes of a living world season from what info we have. If you took the pre-Champions part of IBS  including the hub and instances, that’s a close enough comparison I’d say.

Three new maps, new hub, new fractal, new strikes, new ways to play classes, new rifts mechanic, new rewards. That’s quite a bit more than just story already. It’s just going to be split up, but that split will be paid for up front in a single payment until the next expac (if there is one).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

So if they charged you $25 for an expansion that was the size of the second part of Gyala Delve, you would be perfectly okay with it?  Other MMOs charge so much more, in addition to subscription fees, so it by definition would be such a great deal according to you!  Never mind the differences in the quantity and quality of content either.  That's of no import it seems.  Always a fixation on price and price alone.

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

On 7/22/2023 at 1:20 AM, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

You only have to pay for the expansion once, all the post-launch content updates are included with your purchase.

I hope this is the case because this person is not paying one single cent extra, I hated the Relic, now the new blog post is telling a totally different story, one that is so foreign with a picture of very ugly concept art of a kryptic. the only hope they can salvage this , is if Zojja comes back with a bang!

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

I hope this is the case because this person is not paying one single cent extra, I hated the Relic, now the new blog post is telling a totally different story, one that is so foreign with a picture of very ugly concept art of a kryptic. the only hope they can salvage this , is if Zojja comes back with a bang!

Can you elaborate what the issue is with the story? It’s just a demon invasion arc based on old lore. Doesn’t seem very different to what’s come before

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

What old lore? 

"Old lore" is probably being used very loosely.  The Wizard's Tower has been part of lore since GW1 so anything created now off of it could be considered "based on old lore".

Their blog mentioned this:

We’ll be fighting an entirely new enemy faction only subtly teased in content in the past

But I have my doubts as I'm getting the feeling that it was made up on the spot and some retconning went on to make it work.  It wouldn't be the first thing that they have retconned.

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2