How do I prevent desertion/dishonerable punishment after PC error?

I was playing sPvP ranked and shortly after the start of my match, my game crashed with an unrecoverable graphics error.

I rebooted my PC and logged back into Guild Wars 2 and finished the last of the match but of course, because my team was 4v5 for a few minutes we lost the match. When I came back I said that my game crashed and said sorry to my team for it.

After the match I got a desertion status and dishonored punishment. What can I do to prevent this punishment?

What I already did:

1. I'm running GW2 on a professional workstation PC (Dell Precision 5820) which is designed for stability and performance.
  2. My PC runs ECC error correcting memory. Memory test was passed.
  3. I did a GPU memory test. No errors.
  4. I did a GPU stress test (FurMark) No errors.
  5. I did a 3dMark run with no errors.
  6. I'm not overclocking.
  7. I'm using a UPS to protect against power problems.
  8. I did a Dell SupportAssist PC diagnostic test: All passed.

What I did not do:

1. Install a workstation-level graphics card. I can't afford a Quadro with ECC memory.
  2. Install a different operating system. There are probably more stable operating systems than Windows but GW2 requires it.

For some reason still a graphics memory or driver error happened and I got dishonored for it. Can I prevent this behavior?

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Haha 1

Don't crash.
Unless it's happening consistently it's not a problem.

Yeah it sucks, but it's not that big of a deal and the leaver punishment exists because it's impossible for anyone to tell if your disconnect was "justified" or not. You did still screw up that match, after all, even if it isn't your fault.

If it's consistent then put in a ticket and ask for support, nobody here can help you.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I was playing sPvP ranked and shortly after the start of my match, my game crashed with an unrecoverable graphics error.

I rebooted my PC and logged back into Guild Wars 2 and finished the last of the match but of course, because my team was 4v5 for a few minutes we lost the match. When I came back I said that my game crashed and said sorry to my team for it.

After the match I got a desertion status and dishonored punishment. What can I do to prevent this punishment?

What I already did:

1. I'm running GW2 on a professional workstation PC (Dell Precision 5820) which is designed for stability and performance.
  6. I'm not overclocking.

What I did not do:

1. Install a workstation-level graphics card. I can't afford a Quadro with ECC memory.
  2. Install a different operating system. There are probably more stable operating systems than Windows but GW2 requires it.

For some reason still a graphics memory or driver error happened and I got dishonored for it. Can I prevent this behavior?

Fun fact GW2 doesn’t require Windows, i daily drive on my EndeavourOs machine and play gw2 with better performance than Windows. Manjaro also works amazing with GW2 with better performance than Windows. 

If you don’t want to use Lutris/Wine you can use Steam to play.

Edited by BlaqueFyre.5678
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Well, how?

Games aren't perfect lol
Again if it's happening regularly put in a support ticket. No guarantees it helps but it's not like anyone here on the PvP forums can do anything for you.

Otherwise accept that it might happen sometimes because your internet might die, or you might have some weird crash that never happens again, or whatever else.

I'm sorry you crashed and had a little time out, it's not fun, but it's also not that serious and you're setting yourself up for a lot of distress if you let it get to you.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

What I already did:

6. I'm not overclocking.

What I did not do:

if you crash, relog in as fast as possible and if it’s under 2 mins I believe you there won’t be a penalty.

I’m not sure what governs the load time…but it’s a combination of everything on your computer side and the sever side as far as I’m aware. The less computations going on, the faster it loads. So you need good graphics card, good CPU and on the server side “not much stuff” has to be going on for it to be very quick. You hedge the game side aspect of the stuff, by just having better hardware.

• Like 1

I see. I decided to restart my computer because I also had artifacts on the Windows desktop. So just reloading the game would probably just crashed the game again. And that took longer than 2 mins so it explains what happened. After restart everything was fine again and fortunately I had no permanent graphics memory errors.

I don't think that video card is for gaming graphical calculations. It seems to be a business model type of card able to Excell at desktop top aplications..  the entire dell  precision series does not seem to be a gaming series of compties.  I cant really find anything about the motherboard it is using so I'd suspect it's not ment for high memory bandwidth required  for a video gamimg I'd throw out the entire pc and start again. 

Edited by Eddbopkins.2630

There really isn’t a lot we can do to help you. If we had access to specific errors or debugging info we could maybe offer suggestions. 

The issue could point to memory , which is  also cpu dependent or it could be as simple as a firmware update introduced a bug when playing guild wars 2

2 hours ago, Eddbopkins.2630 said:

I don't think that video card is for gaming graphical calculations. It seems to be a business model type of card able to Excell at desktop top aplications..  the entire dell  precision series does not seem to be a gaming series of compties.  I cant really find anything about the motherboard it is using so I'd suspect it's not ment for high memory bandwidth required  for a video gamimg I'd throw out the entire pc and start again. 

Motherboard is a proprietary Dell 0X8DXD with Intel C422 chipset and DDR4 ECC memory and PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot. I put an nVidia RTX 3070 Founders Edition graphics card in it. The system has plenty of memory bandwidth because it was designed for high performance professional graphics use. It should be more stable than your typical gaming PC.