Suggestion about Coolant Blast

jason.1083

I know this has been mentioned in threads before but I want to dedicate a thread to it because I think it's actually a very sound idea. 

So according to the skills name, Coolant Blastit's implied that this skills actually removes heat, but ofc as we know it doesn't. 

My suggestion is to make it remove heat based on the hear tier replacing Cooling Vapor. For example, (-15% when below 50/-30% when above 50/-60% when above 100 for ECSU users) and so the effect of Cooling Vapor will be instead provided by Heat Therapy which will trigger when loosing heat, this way we keep the more heat = more healing theme and we actually get a decent reason to use this skill when playing Holo while inkeeping with the high risk high reward playstyle giving the option to burn out heal to push more damage even when we don't actually need healing.  

Edited by jason.1083
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, SleepyBat.9034 said:

So long as we don't lose any of the current functionality sure.

Well, the Frost Aura and the Chill would remain as they are, same for the blast finisher, and if you do the math healing from Heat Therapy would be more powerful than Cooling Vapor. 

As it stands now you get 0 extra from <50% heat, 1320 extra from >50% heat and 1980 extra from >100% heat. 

If it was made the way I'm suggesting it would be 975 extra from <50% heat, 1950 extra from >50% heat and 3900 extra from >100% heat.

(These values apply for PvE content with 0 Healing Power) 

So yeah, it would be a buff for the most part. And it could actually be part of a dps rotation for that Photon forge uptime. 

Edited by jason.1083

That's basically it, I played with Thermal Release Valve for a while and it honestly felt so good that you could clutch dodge out of Photon Forge even at the last moment to avoid overheating. Ofcourse that was just for that, cause 15% heat loss isn't gonna allow you to do much before reaching dangerous levels of heat again. 

The 30 and 60(ECSU) I propose is to both give you space to use Forge after the heat loss while also not eating up too much of your heat loosing you your current bonus, in the case of the 60% on ECSU you ofcourse do loose it but not for too long. 

1 hour ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

That would have anti synergy with multiple traits. 

I mean, yes. Because Holo is supposed to be on high heat as much as possible, but having a way to instantly cool down helps in some regards, similarly to the Thermal Release Valve. It can both open up new rotations that involve the healing skill, plus it's an opportunity to avoid overheating (which might not be as much of an issue in instanced content, but in competitive it's a possible game changer). 

So sometimes it's worth it giving up a bit of burst DPS to save your life in the long-run. 

And as I said in the original post, it suits the spec thematically since it's a high risk/high reward mechanic, honestly to begin with I imagined it being a lot more extreme, basically suggesting to make coolant blast into a 0 heal skill that only healed based on heat loss. So using it with no heat meant 0 health gain as well. But I can't imagine people agreeing with that (obviously if that was the case the heat loss would be adjusted to not make the skill into a <4k heal at best) 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 6:59 AM, jason.1083 said:

I know this has been mentioned in threads before but I want to dedicate a thread to it because I think it's actually a very sound idea. 

So according to the skills name, Coolant Blastit's implied that this skills actually removes heat, but ofc as we know it doesn't. 

My suggestion is to make it remove heat based on the hear tier replacing Cooling Vapor. For example, (-15% when below 50/-30% when above 50/-60% when above 100 for ECSU users) and so the effect of Cooling Vapor will be instead provided by Heat Therapy which will trigger when loosing heat, this way we keep the more heat = more healing theme and we actually get a decent reason to use this skill when playing Holo while inkeeping with the high risk high reward playstyle giving the option to burn out heal to push more damage even when we don't actually need healing. 

I always loved the idea of reworking Thermal Release Valve to something like "exceed skills now gaing their bonus by consuming heat instead", at least for me, that would be really fun. Always using forge skills to reach 99 heat for max bonus damage and then, just casting an exceed skill to lower the heat, rinse and repeat. Of course, the outcry from the rest of the playerbase would be huge, sinse this could make a player stay in perma photon forge ("cough" "cough"..but perma berserker it's ok.."cough" cough")...  

But about your idea OP,  love the idea, and probably it's on Anet pool of posibilities...

10 hours ago, Perceptor.7189 said:

I always loved the idea of reworking Thermal Release Valve to something like "exceed skills now gaing their bonus by consuming heat instead", at least for me, that would be really fun. Always using forge skills to reach 99 heat for max bonus damage and then, just casting an exceed skill to lower the heat, rinse and repeat. Of course, the outcry from the rest of the playerbase would be huge, sinse this could make a player stay in perma photon forge ("cough" "cough"..but perma berserker it's ok.."cough" cough")...  

But about your idea OP,  love the idea, and probably it's on Anet pool of posibilities...

I understand your argument about having exceed skills consume heat, for most builds is probably not a bad idea, although that would create a significant struggle for builds that make use of more than a couple exceed skills. I think it's obvious why that's would be the case. For example, for a while now I've been using a build that exclusively makes use of exceed skills, so if each one consumed heat I wouldn't be able to go through them quickly without loosing all their bonuses. 

The reason why I'm specifically mentioning Coolant Blast here is because it's a more controlled heat dissipation method that you can easily choose to use after your done using your other exceed skills and you won't have to worry about them, but if you still want to squeeze in another Corona Burst-Photon Blitz combo before jumping off forge you can do that. 

And if you think others will complain about it, well, you're absolutely correct, they will complain about it, don't even bother though.