Soulbeasts, what pets do you use for solo content?

Arklite.4013

I don't play my ranger that much but, when I do, I play as a soulbeast in open world.  My build is condi-focussed, especially on poison (rune of thorns) and uses daggers, swapping to shortbow as needed

My fave pet is the Warthog - it's a "deadly" pet, which works with my build, synergising with the condition focus.  It also has a charge with a knockdown for some cc/defiance break;  my "swap" pet is the Murellow - it's also a "deadly" pet but has an F2 (when merged) to allow one to ignore strike damage for a few seconds - its poison cloud when unmerged is nice too

Edit : Stat-wise, I run an odd mix of trailblazer and carrion in open world - just enough condi duration to max my poison to +100%

Edited by Jijimuge.4675
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Out of the options I use on power builds:

Rock Gazelle is a solid all purpose pick, thanks to dash and CC skill. Jacaranda is really good for self sustain if needed. Birds are useful bonus mobility with probably the best dash ranger has and perma swiftness. Electric wywern offers good cc on top of the archetype gather skill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I still ran a separate open-world build I used Smokescale due to the extra invuln frames it gives you. These days I mostly just use my raid build with Red Moa though.

I haven't played condi soulbeast in open-world for quite a while, but warthog/lynx seemed to work pretty well for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

If power, gazelle & smoke scale. If condi, cat for dps in merge and hawk for mobility or wolf for cc. But if you're running non-soulbeast, jacaranda & ibolga are easily best pve pets for every reason hands down.

Good list, but id add warthog and bristle back over Lynx and hawk for condi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Strider.7849 said:

Good list, but id add warthog and bristle back over Lynx and hawk for condi.

why would you do that for pve?

for pve solo content like he asked, you just want extra mobility and raw dps, maybe CC if you're aiming at bar breaks soloing dungeons or something.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

why would you do that for pve?

for pve solo content like he asked, you just want extra mobility and raw dps, maybe CC if you're aiming at bar breaks soloing dungeons or something.

Warthog for CC on break bars and bristleback is a little bit less dps but in exchange it can tank for the player when you unmerge. Lynx and hawk die pretty quick and are mostly useful permanently merged - I didn't give that confused emoji by the way.

Edit: bristle also has a tiny bit of AoE, with vulture + OWP it's not bad. You can also stand inside the hit box when activating the AoE if multiple mobs are around.

Edited by Strider.7849
  • Like 2

I will add if you are a Healer and want your pet to help out then run two Moa's and use Harmonic Cry twice with Pet Swap.

It's a pretty good heal the pet will stay with your target, otherwise make it passive and just use that off cooldown.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Like 1