Combat Launch!!! Could we get an equivalent mastery for Siege Turtle?

I love the idea of the Combat Launch mastery. Being able to mount up, while in combat, will make the exploration experience so much smoother.

There are many events in Cantha which encourage the use of Siege Turtles. The final battle of Gyala Delve is a good example, but there are of course many others. If you were to add an equivalent mastery, to allow us to get on our Siege Turtles in combat, it would remove a lot of frustration during those events.

Thanks for considering!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I may have misunderstood, but isn’t this applied to all mounts?

It’s listed specifically as a skyscale mastery, not even an “all flying mounts” mastery. Which also skips over siege turtle for updraft and ley energy use, despite them flying exclusively by creating their own updrafts with their jets and having “ley energy capacitors” for storing ley energy in the Gyala Delve meta.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Regenerating secondary 60k hp bar screams great balance. How easy does the game need to get?

The next mastery for mounts is the Apocalyptic Sneeze. One button press and all mobs on the map are reduced to one HP.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Regenerating secondary 60k hp bar screams great balance. How easy does the game need to get?

The siege turtle is already balanced by having its cooldown set by the amount of health it had left when dismounting, so even if you could combat mount it, reaching 0 health would still lock you out of it for ~50s. I am presuming (and hoping) that combat launch is going to be balanced by mounting you with the same percentage of health as you had before and/or have a cooldown itself, so taken together these two mechanics wouldn’t be as broken as you describe. If they were worried about balance, they could even make mounting the siege turtle in combat use the same amount of health as you had before, rather than a percentage, so that mounting at full health in combat would give you around 20–33% health, and considerably less if you’d taken damage.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Manpag.6421 said:

The siege turtle is already balanced by having its cooldown set by the amount of health it had left when dismounting, so even if you could combat mount it, reaching 0 health would still lock you out of it for ~50s.

That's why I said regenerating 60k hp bar. The idea would be to start off the mount and on any sign of trouble you press a key and bam, 60k hp. Keep fighting on mount or float away (on top of using mount invis or not), dismount, repeat. It's not like you need to be mounted until the turtle hits 0 hp and it's already easy to avoid combat when mounted, especially due to masteries.

17 hours ago, Manpag.6421 said:

I am presuming (and hoping) that combat launch is going to be balanced by mounting you with the same percentage of health as you had before and/or have a cooldown itself

Well, I do hope they have actually thought the whole thing through and will somehow make it balanced. But until we have ANY details, I see it for what we know. And what we know (+what is asked for in this thread in regards of much bulkier turtle) is just mounting during combat.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Well, I do hope they have actually thought the whole thing through and will somehow make it balanced. But until we have ANY details, I see it for what we know. And what we know (+what is asked for in this thread in regards of much bulkier turtle) is just mounting during combat.

You seem determined to be outraged about something that is pure speculation on your part. ANet may struggle to balance profession skills, but their track record is that they hate mounts trivialising content. All the invisible walls and no-mount zones to stop people skipping jumping puzzles, the cap they put on mount engage skills to stop them deleting mobs like they did at launch, and the way they very quickly patched the bug that let siege turtles attack more often.

The fact that combat mounting has so much potential for abuse (even just with skyscale) means they will have thought about it, and I guarantee they will find the most restrictive, unfun way to implement it while technically making it possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Manpag.6421 said:

You seem determined to be outraged about something that is pure speculation on your part. ANet may struggle to balance profession skills, but their track record is that they hate mounts trivialising content. All the invisible walls and no-mount zones to stop people skipping jumping puzzles, the cap they put on mount engage skills to stop them deleting mobs like they did at launch, and the way they very quickly patched the bug that let siege turtles attack more often.

Not sure how I'm outraged? As I said, I'm commenting on this idea while keeping in mind what we currently know. It's you who's apparently putting your bets on "ways to balance it" we were not told about. Can they balance it? Maybe. But did they? Will they? For now, doesn't seem like it.

23 minutes ago, Manpag.6421 said:

The fact that combat mounting has so much potential for abuse (even just with skyscale) means they will have thought about it, and I guarantee they will find the most restrictive, unfun way to implement it while technically making it possible.

I'll believe it when I see it. Even in the written form -except from anet, not from you. Sounds fair?
You start your post off with saying I'm somehow outraged based on my speculation, but then you follow that sentence up with a whole lot of speculation and "they surely did it!". Isn't that exactly what speculation is? For now we have no information about any way to balance it. Unless I missed something here?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2