New character recommendations please

Teknomancer.4895

I’d like some recommendations for a more or less dedicated WvW character for a mix of roaming and zerging, that is NOT one of these four:

• Mesmer
  • Necromancer
  • Warrior
  • Thief

Thief just because I have never liked how the class works (and am thus truly terribad with it lol), and the other three I don’t want to mess around with their builds and gear. Each one has its own role in my roster, and WvW is not it.

I have a Ranger that I very rarely play, and a Revenant that I play even less than that. I could reassign one or both to the Mists but they’re both under-developed, most of the specs aren’t available yet. The Ranger does have access to Druid but I haven't played it, and the Revenant is core-class only.

I also have a Lv80 boost that I can make a completely new character geared with full Celestial. Spare me the “cele is so broken op evil it shot my dog” drama because it’s not my choice, it’s simply what comes with the boost (I don’t even think I get to choose the weapons). There are more than plenty of threads for that topic, go complain about cele in one of those if you must. 😉

I was leaning toward using it for a Guardian because it’s a class I’ve never played and seems like it could be fun and reasonably useful in WvW, but wanted to get some input from players who spend time in the game mode and are familiar with the meta before I actually spend the boost.

Also, I'm a bit arthritic and really don’t want to have to learn Toccata and Fugue in D Minor for QWERTY in order to play it, so no builds with super complicated rotations please!  My Mesmer makes my hands hurt enough as it is.  😁

Guardian is the staple WvW class. You'll always find it useful.

Revenant has its place too, but nowhere near as prevalent.

Typically Guardian has always been tanky boonshare or something similar in the meta. So if you are leaning more towards zerg play it's your best bet. Not really as mobile for roaming. 

If you lean more towards roaming I'd say Revenant. They have a good selection of builds for roaming and dipping into zergs.

Edited by ixon.2496
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking of mainly roaming at first, mostly to familiarize myself with the maps. If I get ganked & stomped, it happens. I used to be halfway-not-terrible in WvW but it's been a long time, mainly pre-PoF. Once I know where I'm going and how to get there without falling off a cliff or some equally hilarious mishap, I'll jump into a zerg (if one happens to be handy) and try not to be a liability. So there's not really any lean either way.

For zerging and roaming? Warrior or mesmer is my suggestion. Mesmer has a much higher learning curve, but it can play a support well and wells are invaluable. Warrior is in a good spot for berserker dps in zergs, it will be squishier than mesmer, but you will get the thrill of dps. Warrior is only a mid range roamer, but some are unstoppable on it. Mesmer as a roamer is good, you could condi tank, or dps with about any specialization. All in all, if you are just learning, Mesmer is probably the highest rewards because if you can learn it, other classes will just seem easier due to simply having more defence. A good mesmer is very hard to defeat, it is pound for pound equal if not greater than every class in capable hands, but the learning curve.

Thief is no good for zergs, don't get me wrong, you could chase down lows and singles, but your rewards will be very low, but as a roamer it is good. Roaming is the only place where it shines, I would suggest dare devil or deadeye. Necro is ok, I would suggest scourge in zergs and celestial harbinger as a roamer. If you do play harbinger, you will probably have no mercy shown when people chase you down, as it is almost unkillable in the right hands. Reaper is great to those who know how, but getting to that level is months if not years of constant fighting.

The highest learning curve mesmer is what i wish I learned, and I do wish to one day to master warrior. Warrior will leave you with less get away, but in zergs it is just under the current top dps weaver.

One last thing, both warrior and mesmer are great for melee small scale. But if you have a group that runs fast, I would suggest stealth sword interrupt mirage. If you save blink for last, blink with leap should have you out of combat pretty quick. Virtuoso is probably the highest dps, but you will get run over at first. But play your game the way you want to. Good luck out there, and don't get discouraged when you die, it's just a game.

Edited by oatsnjuices.1698
  • Thanks 1

If you can, you might want to wait until after the SotO expansion drops next week. At this point I don't think  it's clear how some of the changes coming with that expansion may affect WvW. That's things like each class and profession getting access to new weapons as well as the changes to runes with the introduction of relics. Those changes should make for new builds and possibly new meta builds relevant to WvW. Personally, I'm  holding  off on new gear, new builds, and such until I see how things look after that expansion arrives.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I’d like some recommendations for a more or less dedicated WvW character for a mix of roaming and zerging, that is NOT one of these four:

• Mesmer
  • Necromancer
  • Warrior
  • Thief

Thief just because I have never liked how the class works (and am thus truly terribad with it lol), and the other three I don’t want to mess around with their builds and gear. Each one has its own role in my roster, and WvW is not it.

I have a Ranger that I very rarely play, and a Revenant that I play even less than that. I could reassign one or both to the Mists but they’re both under-developed, most of the specs aren’t available yet. The Ranger does have access to Druid but I haven't played it, and the Revenant is core-class only.

I also have a Lv80 boost that I can make a completely new character geared with full Celestial. Spare me the “cele is so broken op evil it shot my dog” drama because it’s not my choice, it’s simply what comes with the boost (I don’t even think I get to choose the weapons). There are more than plenty of threads for that topic, go complain about cele in one of those if you must. 😉

I was leaning toward using it for a Guardian because it’s a class I’ve never played and seems like it could be fun and reasonably useful in WvW, but wanted to get some input from players who spend time in the game mode and are familiar with the meta before I actually spend the boost.

Also, I'm a bit arthritic and really don’t want to have to learn Toccata and Fugue in D Minor for QWERTY in order to play it, so no builds with super complicated rotations please!  My Mesmer makes my hands hurt enough as it is.  😁

So u want help to choose, a class for roaming/zerging? And right of the bat u say u dont want, possible the 2 best classes in the game for that specific scenario. War and reaper 🤣🤣

But hey, u dont want quality. Then just play good old, dual sword/staff herald. See how long u can enjoy that 🤭

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Thomas.2564 said:

So u want help to choose, a class for roaming/zerging? And right of the bat u say u dont want, possible the 2 best classes in the game for that specific scenario. War and reaper 🤣🤣

But hey, u dont want quality. Then just play good old, dual sword/staff herald. See how long u can enjoy that 🤭

Thank you for your input, and congratulations! You tagged an opponent in Forum PvP, good job!

Here's your trophy for participating.  🏆

I play 27 wvw characters, 1 of each espec.

Overall, Guardian is probably your best bet.

Of the 3 possible especs, Firebrand is great in zerg, Dragonhunter is a good all-rounder and Willbender is OP.

As you say you have never played it, I think you will find it the easiest class to play in game.

Edited by Mimizu.7340
Go with Celestial gear and Divinity runes and Celestial ascended food (the peppered one is best) for an even easier time.
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Uthrax.4975 said:

Auramentalist.  😁

I'm going to take that as a joke, just looking at the Ele skills list makes my hands hurt. 😆

14 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

If you can, you might want to wait until after the SotO expansion drops next week. At this point I don't think  it's clear how some of the changes coming with that expansion may affect WvW.

Good point (though it would be nice to free up that shared bag slot sooner).

Looks like the remaining consensus says Guardian, with maybe Rev as a backup. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

• Mesmer
  • Necromancer
  • Warrior
  • Thief

I roam quite a bit, its rare to cross a Guardian roamer unless it is a Willy. For group play Guardians are always in demand. For one that cross both well outside of your list, Engi, Ele, Revenant. I know you said you have a Rev but did want to point out that it does do well in both that you said you were looking for. All can both roam and be useful in groups and you will find all three in both groups and out roaming. Note the Ele is going to have the most rotations and the Engi will have the most jack of all trades for various situation. Good hunting.

• Thanks 1